Stax and L.T.A. bundle Is this the best?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Z10e+++SR-X9000.png Link

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
$11,835.00 ORIGINAL PRICE:$13,150.00

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
or maybe this 9000/BHSE bundle might be better........for a little more money (if you asked Headamp, likely they would match the L.T.A bundle price). you more lose yourself into BHSE. and the BHSE might have better resale than the L.T.A (for some reason people do tend to switch headphones and headphone amps often).

however; the L.T.A. bundle has the advantage of (1) being able to drive dynamic headphones quite well, (2) being able to drive speakers and (3) has a remote volume control. might be important to some for location of the unit and your listening chair.....if you are combining 2 channel and headphones allows the amp to be with the sources and not next to your listening position.

i don't think you can go too far wrong either way. personally for me the choice would be whether i wanted more than one headphone type. if only the Stax then i would choose the BHSE.
1671694750227.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Mike, do you have a link for BHSE?
L.T.A. is just a hop skip and a jump away from CAF venue. Probably accessible via subway.
They are located in Takoma Maryland. I do have an informal invitation.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Headamp is in Charlottesville, Virginia. i've owned the BHSE electrostatic headphone amp and it would be my choice for stats in that price range.

they are certainly at the CAF venue....or any CanJam venue.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
thanks

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Top stats are incredibly dependent on amp for peak performance. About 100x more than with other headphones. The BHSE has been a benchmark for a long time (14 years?) in this area, and holds its value & demand very well. It's also proven RELIABLE, which as a direct driver hybrid (SS gain stages and CCS) is hard to do when the voltage rails are 400V +/-. It's going to be very difficult for other amp makers to knock the BHSE from this slot. Above this, you have the Eksonic T2 (by commission) which sounds even better than BHSE at double the cost. Eksonic also makes a smaller Aeras model that is an interesting competitor to the BHSE. And even a bit beyond that T2 is the old "OG" DIY T2 monsters, which are almost extinct now due to their OOP silicon.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For source I would throw in the Mola Mola Tambaqui. Still sub$25k with room left for a streamer if you are so inclined. Stiff but manageable.
Dreams can come true. download (1).jpg molamola2-1024x765.jpg 55b85ed88af50b53bccf344b288936e0.jpg

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
or maybe this 9000/BHSE bundle might be better........for a little more money (if you asked Headamp, likely they would match the L.T.A bundle price). you more lose yourself into BHSE. and the BHSE might have better resale than the L.T.A (for some reason people do tend to switch headphones and headphone amps often).

however; the L.T.A. bundle has the advantage of (1) being able to drive dynamic headphones quite well, (2) being able to drive speakers and (3) has a remote volume control. might be important to some for location of the unit and your listening chair.....if you are combining 2 channel and headphones allows the amp to be with the sources and not next to your listening position.

i don't think you can go too far wrong either way. personally for me the choice would be whether i wanted more than one headphone type. if only the Stax then i would choose the BHSE.
View attachment 101843
Yep, perhaps the most musically satisfying headphone setup matches, and especially with the 9000s, I have ever heard for dozens of years now. Blue Hawaii in blue chassis for me is blue heaven !
IMG_0843.jpeg

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I considered purchase of a blue Hawaii, but no Uk importer so potentially an issue should something go wrong.
eventually purchased the 8000 to go with the 9000 headphones, simply excellent….
Best of luck with your eventual selection and purchase.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Headamp is in Charlottesville, Virginia. i've owned the BHSE electrostatic headphone amp and it would be my choice for stats in that price range.

they are certainly at the CAF venue....or any CanJam venue.

This combo is indeed epic!

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Heard same combos

Yes, good.

But once I back to backed against the HE1, no contest.
That said, short of an HE1, a stax x9000 plus LTA combo is a choice I would make.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing