State of the Art Two Channel Switchable with 5.1 Home Theatre. Is it possible?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
OK guys, I've searched this forum for a discussion on this and came up mostly empty.
Assuming if one has an essentially optimized two channel rig (source(s), pre, amp/amps & speakers) , can the addition of a HT receiver and three more speakers give the best of both worlds or will the two channel performance suffer?
Also, could someone describe what such a system would consist of? I'm unclear how to handle the two channel/5.1 channel source(s).

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Yes you can do this provided that you have the right gear. Many high performance preamps have a HT bypass and this can be used to feed a Surround Prepro and then switched out of the system for 2 channel only. It will not hurt your two channel sound however adding a CC and other speakers and subwoofers in the same room can effect the sound of the entire system. I have done this type of system in my old store and in quite a few client homes with excellent results

Reactions: NorthStar

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Yes you can do this provided that you have the right gear. Many high performance preamps have a HT bypass and this can be used to feed a Surround Prepro and then switched out of the system for 2 channel only. It will not hurt your two channel sound however adding a CC and other speakers and subwoofers in the same room can effect the sound of the entire system. I have done this type of system in my old store and in quite a few client homes with excellent results

Thanks Elliot
I am still unclear if the L&R channels of the 5.1 can be fed by the 2 channel pre into the amps and main speakers or if the prepro must be used to feed the two channel mains directly? Can you elaborate on this?

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
What does your current system consist of?

I currently have a 5 channel system and looking to introduce a better preamp we are looking at similar setups. As mentioned by Elliot, you need the stereo preamp to have a true HT bypass option and you can keep using your stereo 2 channel amp while adding the surround processor and another 3 channel amplifier without it affecting anything.

I have demoed the Mark Levinson 5805 - which is an integrated but still works in this setup, Cary SLP-98, and Cary SLP-05 into my current Cary Cinema 11a and Cinema 5 amp. I was expecting a big difference but the Cinema 11a is really holding its own against these much more expensive preamps. The improvements are small and not justifiable for $5k-$9k from my personal comparisons and in my room*.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you are going that route.SOTA is a matter for doscission.
A Marantz receiver has 7.2 with dedicated stereo mode. That means you get side channels and 2 subs.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I am still unclear if the L&R channels of the 5.1 can be fed by the 2 channel pre into the amps and main speakers or if the prepro must be used to feed the two channel mains directly? Can you elaborate on this?
What you state as the first option is, in fact, what is called a HT Bypass option on a preamp. It takes the L/R output from the 5.1 system and sends it to your front L/R amps and speakers at a fixed volume. This means that the preamp cannot change or influence any of the settings/processing in the 5.1 system. Of course, all your stereo sources can be fed directly to the preamp as usual.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes I have a Vitus SIA 025 integrated amp with HT bypass facility and a Denon AV amplifier connected as described above which gives me five channel sound plus sub woofer when watching satellite HD and UHD programmes, or when using my Oppo 203 for Blurays etc including some Bluray audio discs with surround sound.
It works very well. Sports broadcasts in that way with surround sound convey the atmosphere of the games so much better.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Thanks Elliot
They go from the preamp directly to the left and right amplifier. THe Surround prepro sends a signal to he preamp and when you are in surround you use the bi pass mode in the preamp, unity gain, and the preamp is not engaged. The other channels come directly from the surround processor

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20200229_103515_HDR.jpg

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Thanks Guys! Can anyone supply a short list of players that they like with 5.1/7.1 analog outputs they like?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Not sure if you mean DVD/Bluray players or AV amps.
Used Oppos are very good buys and I use a Denon AVR X 4300H which I have been very pleased with

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
I have a legacy Onkyo AV receiver, so I think (?) I just need a Universal player with 5.1/7.1 analog outputs. It's be nice if it played 4K as well.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing