Stand and be Counted

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Lloyd,

I did manage to sort it out but I think I'll get stoned by our fellow members for saying HOW. In any case my situation is a bit different from yours because I'm using two different amplifiers, one double the output of the other but with identical input impedances at their selected operating points. Who the heck would have thought that the tonal imbalance was not caused by the power differential but rather by the differences in IC length between the two. It has confounded all of us here that witnessed this and when told, even the designer of my speakers could hardly believe 2 meters difference could be so bothersome. Ah how strange is this thing we got into.

In my case, I gained refinement as the Mids and tweets are now driven by the full Class A operation of the Reference and are freed of the duty to power the midbass units. There's just this increased air of effortlessness now. It can be dangerous as temptation to crank the system can be high because there's so much more distortion free headroom.

When you say they can make your Antileon mono, do they mean they will be bridged? I'm not sure on the figures but I think it is bridging that yields 4x and not bi-amping per se. Bi-amping just gets you double as far as I know. I'll see what I can dig up on your amps. In the meantime why not start a bridged vs vertical bi-amp thread? There are many members much more qualified than I and I would love to get their inputs as well.

Cheers!

Jack

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Jack,

thanks for taking the time to answer in such a considered fashion. Appreciate the help. It turns out...1) the Gryphons are dual mono already...fully balanced and full mono all the way to just before the plug outlet...the siganture series actually has 2 plugs. So mono benefits are already inherent in the design. 2) As for more power...sure the Wilson X-1/Grand Slamms could easily absorb it...but the Gryphons have enormous dynamic headroom (100watts into 8 ohms but peak 100 amps of juice and up to 3200 watts peak into half ohm load)...and 3) i dont think the Dual-Mono is capable of being reconfigured...hence why they specifically sell Antileon Monos. Oh and 4) the Wilsons have one set of speakers posts...i could bi-amp but unless someone says otherwise, i think i will stay out of trying to hard wire an amp to the bass drivers and fool around withe crossovers, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing