Split Decision!!!! StereoMojo Review: One for, One against..Bruce Brown!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have never heard of a designer/builder reviewing a sample that falls into their product category. That would be a first.
Perhaps so, but that is what the editor's comment (at the end of the review) says.

I assume you are "forgetting" Peter Aczel's review of his Fourier speakers?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There will be no "G'Day Mate" for you sir!:)

I found both B. Hobba and M. Lenehan very personable and accomodating. The speaker just didn't work out in my system/room. The other reviewer had a differing opinion. Seems Wilson and I are being raked over the coals, when in fact, the speakers I had when I reviewd the ML1's were the EA MM3. I only had the Alexias for a few weeks before I had the send the ML1's back!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I found both B. Hobba and M. Lenehan very personable and accomodating. The speaker just didn't work out in my system/room. The other reviewer had a differing opinion. Seems Wilson and I are being raked over the coals, when in fact, the speakers I had when I reviewd the ML1's were the EA MM3. I only had the Alexias for a few weeks before I had the send the ML1's back!

You have no reason to explain, justify, or defend your position. Everyone knows you call it like you hear it, regardless.

Jim Treanor

Jun 30, 2013
Pacific Northwest
What struck me most about that Oz thread was one poster's assertion that Bruce had dispensed "vitriol." That's not how I read his SM review, especially given his multiple approaches to try to get the speakers to sound right to his ears. It's notable, too, that not all of the posters were of one mind about the speakers, either, though the basic thrust of the thread seems to be "how dare he." The silver (not steel) lining, though, Bruce, is that you seem to have reminded just about everyone that the acid test for anyone considering the purchase of a piece of gear is to actually listen to it, preferably in one's own listening setting.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Wunderbar...divergent opinions -- I love it :D
Bruce -- can you comment on 'Mojo Measurements' that appeared with Schuchard's review?
Could that data be advanced to support divergent opinions relative to the device under test/review :confused:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I assume that the other reviewer did the measurements since he's a speaker designer/builder.
Someone on my other acct. mentioned something about comb filtering?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I assume that the other reviewer did the measurements....
Regardless, measurements typically do not relay the actual end result as to what hits a listeners ears. A basis or foundation perhaps, yes. A tell all? No.

Tom

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Regardless, measurements typically do not relay the actual end result as to what hits a listeners ears. A basis or foundation perhaps, yes. A tell all? No.
Tom

Speaker measurements and how they react in a room are 2 totally different things, for sure!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Speaker measurements and how they react in a room are 2 totally different things, for sure!

Indeed, it would have been instructive to have available the in-room response of the loudspeaker for either listening environment :cool:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Just for this review or for every loudspeaker review?
If only for this review, why?

I would propose in-room response be explored, and not limited to this sole review, to examine possible degrees of correlation between empirical measurement and qualitative description.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Did the other reviewer had another pair of speakers in the near vicinity when he had the ML setup?

I always try to remove any other speakers not in use because of the magnetic interference.
If removal is not possible, the next best thing is shorting the positive/negative leads.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing