Split Decision!!!! StereoMojo Review: One for, One against..Bruce Brown!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It sounds like they were listening to two different speakers. These reviews reminds me of the old days of TAS.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It sounds like they were listening to two different speakers. These reviews reminds me of the old days of TAS.

Yes, hard to believe they were both listening to the same product. One word: Subjectivity! Which is absolutely what this hobby is based on.

I think this is refreshing that we get two different verdicts. Maybe Bruce can comment.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
A split decision at StereoMojo!

Our own Bruce Brown gives the thumbs down, and another reviewer the thumbs up.

http://www.stereomojo.com/LENEHAN ML1 REFERENCE SPEAKER REVIEW/LenehandML1ReferenceSpeaker.htm

To me this is normal two reviewers but with different tastes, does not mean that one is wrong and the other's right i would probably agree with only one of the two judging by the fact that Bruce like's Wilson speakers i don't think whe would have the same tastes in speakers but who knows as for me not crazy about ANY wilson speakers keeping in mind their prices i think that dollar for dollar you can do much better but that's ME others love them and it's their money let them buy what pleases them as for me i will choose Sound Labs any day over Wilsons BUT i'm a panel guy and heavy rock is not my kind of music.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO the difference in the reviews is easy to understand. Bruce used mainly acoustical music, some challenging recordings, and compared with his references, using his experience and the sound of live music. He spots the good and the bad in his opinion. The second reviewer just referred that the speaker only defect was being small and centered his critics mainly on voices - something that most current speakers reproduce fairly well. As others said, any one can pick the review he prefers, my choice was easy.

Jim Treanor

Jun 30, 2013
Pacific Northwest
I'd have been tempted to ask how many operating hours were already logged on the speakers when Bruce got them (apparently he had first crack at them, and my initial thought was that perhaps the crossover caps might not have "settled in"), but it appears from his review that he gave them plenty of opportunity to "open up" as well as took the time to audition them in at least two different systems during their stay at his place. And the caps are copper foil, not Teflon.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The speakers were actually demos and were being used by someone else before I got them. When I received them, one of the binding posts had broken off during shipment, so I had to send one of them back.
At the time I received them and during the review, I had the EA MM3's speakers to compare them against. I hadn't gotten the Wilson's until the review was over. The manufacturer wanted me to keep them an extra month to compare them to the Alexia's. The biggest revelation I had was when my wife came down to the studio and the speakers were playing. She asked "What's up with these speakers? Are they broken?". With the build quality that went into them, I wanted so much for them to sound good. I just couldn't.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The speakers were actually demos and were being used by someone else before I got them. When I received them, one of the binding posts had broken off during shipment, so I had to send one of them back.
At the time I received them and during the review, I had the EA MM3's speakers to compare them against. I hadn't gotten the Wilson's until the review was over. The manufacturer wanted me to keep them an extra month to compare them to the Alexia's. The biggest revelation I had was when my wife came down to the studio and the speakers were playing. She asked "What's up with these speakers? Are they broken?". With the build quality that went into them, I wanted so much for them to sound good. I just couldn't.

Thanks Bruce. What was your take on the EA MM3's?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Funny story..I had a speaker in for review and I thought it sounded horrible when I first installed it...or broken..turns out I had it connected to 8 ohm taps on my McInstosh Integrated...and it was a 4 ohm speaker. When I fixed the problem it turned out to be a world beater. :D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interesting point Andre. It would seem always appropriate for anyone reviewing a speaker ( or for that matter any piece of gear) to disclose what their reference system and reference sound is. Plus, an understanding of the reviewer's expertise in set-up may be of importance as well. It seems to me a little hard to believe that two reviewer's could have such divergent opinions. OTOH, I personally would put far more faith in a review that was more discriminatory and not full of hyperbole than the opposite. Could Bruce B have got it wrong, somehow I doubt it given his excellent description of what he heard. ( or more importantly didn't hear).

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Interesting point Andre. It would seem always appropriate for anyone reviewing a speaker ( or for that matter any piece of gear) to disclose what their reference system and reference sound is. Plus, an understanding of the reviewer's expertise in set-up may be of importance as well. It seems to me a little hard to believe that two reviewer's could have such divergent opinions. OTOH, I personally would put far more faith in a review that was more discriminatory and not full of hyperbole than the opposite. Could Bruce B have got it wrong, somehow I doubt it given his excellent description of what he heard. ( or more importantly didn't hear).

Hey Davey:

I think Bruce is an experience and knowledgeable listener. I don't know the other gentleman. Bruce and I both reviewed Densen gear and came to the same
conclusions, so I certainly think he had a pretty accurate take on the speaker. Of course, another listener might hear things differently, but that is what auditions are for!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hey Davey:

I think Bruce is an experience and knowledgeable listener. I don't know the other gentleman. Bruce and I both reviewed Densen gear and came to the same
conclusions, so I certainly think he had a pretty accurate take on the speaker. Of course, another listener might hear things differently, but that is what auditions are for!

It is always possible that two people can hear different things in a speaker. OTOH, I have found that conformity of opinion is far more usual than such divergency, as in this review.
Interesting reviews and as I said, I would absolutely put credence in Bruce's.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Just based off of the recordings I have heard Bruce do, I can say that he has an excellent ear. This is one pair of ears I would trust......and I do not say that often.

Tom

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It is always possible that two people can hear different things in a speaker. OTOH, I have found that conformity of opinion is far more usual than such divergency, as in this review.
Interesting reviews and as I said, I would absolutely put credence in Bruce's.

I agree with your point..you normally don't see such black and white conclusions..usually there is a consensus with maybe some slight disagreements about
a products strengths and weaknesses.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing