Spectral dma 260 hum

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here is the real issue people. Sprectal has a design problem with their transformer so let's stop beating around the bush. You would think the words "Spectral" and "design issue" wouldn't go together, but they do. Haven't their been certain Spectral products that Spectral didn't figure out what their heat load was going to be and the damn feet on the bottom of the component melted among other issues? It sounds like Spectral didn't do enough testing with the transformer running on 240v to figure out the damn thing is noisey. This will not be a cheap for Spectral and it will be interesting to see if they ignore this issue or they fix it. They need a new transformer design. You shouldn't have to spend more of your hard-earned money buying after market hum-buster products to try and make that damn transformer behave.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Here is the real issue people. Sprectal has a design problem with their transformer so let's stop beating around the bush. You would think the words "Spectral" and "design issue" wouldn't go together, but they do. Haven't their been certain Spectral products that Spectral didn't figure out what their heat load was going to be and the damn feet on the bottom of the component melted among other issues? It sounds like Spectral didn't do enough testing with the transformer running on 240v to figure out the damn thing is noisey. This will not be a cheap for Spectral and it will be interesting to see if they ignore this issue or they fix it. They need a new transformer design. You shouldn't have to spend more of your hard-earned money buying after market hum-buster products to try and make that damn transformer behave.

Agree,
but it can be a bit of a grey area if there is no transformer noise when taken to a different house - they may argue it is working within tolerances and there is issues with the mains/electrics associated with the house.
If the transformer buzzes in most houses say in UK then yes its pretty clear cut that it does not meet the required criteria.

While my component is not from Spectral, this is my dilemma that the problem is my house mains/electrics is causing the problem, even though I agree it is not really acceptable for it not to handle mains problems.
But then options become more limited when it is not affecting all.

Cheers
Orb

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
I think this is interesting. I fully expect Spectral to sort out whatever problem there is. Their equipment cannot be so sensitive that it can't work quietly in a standard domestic situation.

I should stress that hum aside I do find the music this equipment produces very very beautiful.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I think this is interesting. I fully expect Spectral to sort out whatever problem there is. Their equipment cannot be so sensitive that it can't work quietly in a standard domestic situation.

I should stress that hum aside I do find the music this equipment produces very very beautiful.

Grateful,
quick question sorry if you answered already but did you take the Spectral to another house/dealer and did it buzz (the transformer) there?
Or is it hum coming through the speakers?

Cheers
Orb

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
It won't do any harm checking the electrical system in one's house. I just recalled a really funny story Jadis told me several years ago about one of the audiophiles here. He was having some problems with his amplifier also. So he traces his electrical system and discovers that he had terminal termite problems and that his attic would fall anytime. He had to literally rebuild his attic but he was very grateful that this hobby probably saved his family.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Dear Mullard and Orb - Thanks for all this.

I have tested my mains - 220-240V at 50Hz. I haven't tested the amp in another house but I have tried it on a different mains loop and through an Accuphase power supply and nothing fixed the hum.

I am grateful to be alerted to termites but I don't think this is an issue.

Thanks

Paul

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Paul,

Ha ha ha . . . . I did not mean to alert you regarding termites. I was just retelling a funny story told to me by Jadis wherein checking the electrical system led to the discovery of termites. Unless your termites are causing the hum from your transformer, they are not an issue here. I like your sense of humor.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Dear Mullard and Orb - Thanks for all this.

I have tested my mains - 220-240V at 50Hz. I haven't tested the amp in another house but I have tried it on a different mains loop and through an Accuphase power supply and nothing fixed the hum.

I am grateful to be alerted to termites but I don't think this is an issue.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul,
unfortunately a different ring main in the same house will not be of any help as the problem could be coming into the house or even across neutral.
As an example I can get the buzz any ring in my house, yet go to a friends and also dealer and the component is as good as gold (not a single noise from it).

The dealer who I am buying some new speakers from understands this problem pretty well as he used to be an engineer with experience relating to certifying companies/manufacturers, he found that the Isotek Syncro in his experience did not really help 100% but the good news is that there may be an available solution in the next 3-4 months.
I am happy to wait.
However for you, really I would suggest taking that component and just plugging it in at a friend/dealer to see if it buzzes there, or if you really prefer to try and take the case up with Spectral 1st to see what their response is.
Sometimes removing your own house from the equation helps to simplify the cause and then discuss with the dealer/manufacturer, because you could be waiting a long time otherwise where they may argue no fault found with component when tested or QA'd :(

Anyway once I get hold of this alternative solution that still is several months away, I will post what happens.
And yeah I will still need a qualified electrician (meets with building regulation certification) who is also expert with PATs to resolve in the long term what is happening at my house, which should still be a consideration for some others as well long term.

Cheers
Orb

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
For me it is clear.
The Spectral transformer does not represent the quality that they say.
Especially the European version.
I'll try 2 different DMA 100S and they both buzz!
I was still hoping that a technician from Spectral react on this item.

The Spectral gear is the most expensive gear in my home and the only gear that buzzes.
My Rotel HT gear is qiuet!!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
For me it is clear.
The Spectral transformer does not represent the quality that they say.
Especially the European version.
I'll try 2 different DMA 100S and they both buzz!
I was still hoping that a technician from Spectral react on this item.

The Spectral gear is the most expensive gear in my home and the only gear that buzzes.
My Rotel HT gear is qiuet!!

I agree but the problem may be that it is operating within tolerance as far they are concerned, but their view could be it is just not coping with something that is not their fault related to the house.
Its frustrating and annoying (and as I mention I am in the same boat with an expensive transport from a different manufacturer).

If you listen carefully to other equipment such as TVs,etc you may notice a buzz even there for some of the products - I have a few others that I feel are too noisy such as my plasma tv.
But this is no excuse and it will be interesting what support is given by the dealer/manufacturer-Spectral.

I doubt I can give my Pioneer screen back due to it its noise being greater at my house, but then that is still not as expensive as Spectral or my transport.

To get any joy, a full test-monitoring may be required to measure any mains issues and whether they are within satisfactory levels (such as how bad is DC Offset or the mains sinewave,noise,etc), this could help in arguing a case with the manufacturer.
But hoping it does not need to go that far for you guys, or if it becomes too much hassle either sell the gear or wait and see if a new solution coming around in 2-3months helps.

I am being pragmatic that in my case it is going to be too much hassle but will still communicate with my dealer-manufacturer about the loud buzz.
Keep us informed how it goes with the Spectral gear.

Thanks
Orb

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am just curious - all those with transformer buzz issues, isn't it easy to take your equipment to the dealer's for evaluation? I mean a simple plug in to their outlets to start. I am surprised that this discussion seems to be spinning around for a while, with no real action from either side taking place - consumer or dealer... What am I missing? Who are these dealers who won't drop their pants and jump into this problem?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I am just curious - all those with transformer buzz issues, isn't it easy to take your equipment to the dealer's for evaluation? I mean a simple plug in to their outlets to start. I am surprised that this discussion seems to be spinning around for a while, with no real action from either side taking place - consumer or dealer... What am I missing? Who are these dealers who won't drop their pants and jump into this problem?

Agreed.
This is how to tell if it is related to the transformer or buzzing due to a cause at home - I have mentioned it a few times myself :)

Cheers
Orb

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I took my preamp into the dealer. You could hear the hum from a few feet away, but it was not an issue in the listening position. When I brought the preamp home and reconnected everything I made sure to separate the preamp power cord from other cords and elevated the cord. My hum dropped in half and is a non issue when listening to music. Spectral and the dealer stated that the power supply was putting out current similar to most power amps and that "some" noise is usual when the unit is turned on. I have to strain to notice the noise in a quiet room. My listening position is about 6 feet away from my rack. I'm satisfied.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
DAN 31

This is really interesting. I use pretty heavy (ORACLE) cables that are hard to dress cleverly but I will certainly explore this.

Anyone have advice on how to dress cables on the back of Spectral I would appreciate tips.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
To be honest, now that I read this new information, I can't help but suspect that you guys may not be having a good ground with all these heavy power cords. I went through a similar situation with very intense hum (from the speakers) with my phono preamp a while ago, and lifting power cords or moving interconnects around and away from the cords was making a huge difference (e.g. 20 dB or more!). This drove me nuts for some time, because moving even seemingly unrelated cords like the amps' was having a significant effect, until I connected a single wire from the phono chassis to the ground on the wall - and most hum died instantly. All of this, of course, pointed to the fact that the phono's ground prong wasn't really connected well to the IEC power connector, and I had a poor ground. In fact, you can see this single-wire business here (second picture from the top).

In the end, I was fighting a couple of issues (see link above again): poor ground, and interference emitted by the power cords. So I went back to the basics: use the manufacturers' power cords before experimenting again with fancy cords. It worked. In the end, I ended up with shielded power cords and I wrapped the IEC connectors with electrical tape so that they fit snugly into the receptacle of each component, thus eliminating the possibility of moving around by their own weight and other forces. Problem solved.

Perhaps you can take a good look again at your cords???

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the tip Ack.
Thankfully for me that is not the problem, but it sounds this could be contributing for some while not being the full cause (most comments were buzz directly from the transformer although a few also mention hum).

Cheers
Orb

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hey, whatever happened with this buzzing problems?

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Hi

It was never a buzz! But a hum. My dealer assures me that Spectral are coming up with a fix. I've not heard anything more.

Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing