Spectral dma 260 hum

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hi Wim,
just about to buy new speakers this week so alas I cannot commit to trying it, otherwise I would.
I like the return policy of PS Audio equipment in the UK, and this is the cheapest option I have seen so far.

Cheers
Orb

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
As someone who lived in 230V land, and now living and designing in 115V land (for both 115V and 230V) - there are two big issues - DC offset and 50Hz vs 60Hz.

When transformers are designed in USA (60Hz), sometimes we just take a step-up transformer or a variac and test it at 230V. In my experience - big mistake. A transformer that is totally quiet will hum and buzz and rattle when tested actually at 50Hz. I've found two solutions, but both expensive. The Burmester power conditioners all zero-out the DC offset. Secondly, the IsoTek Synchro powercord which attempts to promote a perfectly symmetrical sine wave. Both try to do the same thing in different ways.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
As someone who lived in 230V land, and now living and designing in 115V land (for both 115V and 230V) - there are two big issues - DC offset and 50Hz vs 60Hz.

When transformers are designed in USA (60Hz), sometimes we just take a step-up transformer or a variac and test it at 230V. In my experience - big mistake. A transformer that is totally quiet will hum and buzz and rattle when tested actually at 50Hz. I've found two solutions, but both expensive. The Burmester power conditioners all zero-out the DC offset. Secondly, the IsoTek Synchro powercord which attempts to promote a perfectly symmetrical sine wave. Both try to do the same thing in different ways.

Yeah I really do hope the manufacturers did not make the mistake of using incorrect transformers relating to 50-60hz, but mistakes can happen depending on the build process used.
Relating to the DC issue, the hambuster seems the cheapest option I have seen over here in the UK - if it fully resolves it.

One other thing, if the voltage is slightly too high this can also cause buzz if I remember due to saturation.
But if suffering a buzz, 1st thing I would suggest is take the component round to a friends and see if it still happens.

Thanks
Orb

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I did try a humbuster III in several configurations, Humbuster in front of power conditioner (Running Springs Audio) and all components, humbuster in front of Spectral components (with and without power conditioning), Humbuster in front of just preamp (with and without power conditioning), . I noticed no reduction in hum from the preamp.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I did try a humbuster III in several configurations, Humbuster in front of power conditioner (Running Springs Audio) and all components, humbuster in front of Spectral components (with and without power conditioning), Humbuster in front of just preamp (with and without power conditioning), . I noticed no reduction in hum from the preamp.

Oh dear, well I guess sometimes cheap is not always best sorry to hear.
Dan, you able to take the component to a friend's house?
Just needs to be the one that buzzes.
If it still buzzes there, then a good chance I would say the transformer is incorrect.
Gary, got any suggestions?

Cheers
Orb

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you are in the UK, see if you can find a store that would let you borrow the Isotek Synchro to try out. It's far harder to get one to try in the US, but they are quite widely distributed across the pond. I don't think that the Humbuster or the IsoTek Neoplug will work with buzzy transformers.

I don't know enough about how Spectral designs the front end of its power supplies forward of the primary windings of their power transformer. If it was one of my speakers/amplifiers I would have suggested that you reverse the polarity of Live and Neutral. Depending on the design of the Spectral, it could just sound bad, or something might break.

Finally, something that people have called me crazy for - put the amplifier upside down.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for suggestion Gary,
gives an idea what IsoTek product to try.

Thanks
Orb

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Spent some time at my dealer. The hum is about half that I hear at home. The preamp has some hum, but as expected according to the dealer. I will investigate my line voltage and polarity. I can also look for a source of noise by taking the pre to each room and listen for increased transformer noise.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I tried everything to eliminate the buzz but nothing helps.
Filtering, dc blockers! All options affect the sound negative.
I think the only solution is to impregnate the transformer.
Does Spectral have an e-mail address, so I can contact them?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Call Spectral at 408-738-8521. I have spoken with them and they are helpful. Good luck.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Okay I'll bite. How do you impregnate a transformer. And would not that just produce a lot of little nosier transformers.:D

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Okay I'll bite. How do you impregnate a transformer. And would not that just produce a lot of little nosier transformers.:D

You need a signed consent form before you start the process.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
I am very very concerned that the thread I began about a hum has been co-opted by comedians!

Gentlemen, and ladies, hi-fi is far too serious to crack jokes about!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

It is a term used by transformer manufacturers. You impregnate the coils with a resin to reduce any chance of the coils vibrating, and you can also impregnate the plates. Basically, the transformers are put into a big tank. All the air is sucked out of the tank with a vacuum pump, and the resin injected. Sometimes, the tank and the transformers are heated so that the resin will flow better into the space between the coils.

The cheap transformers are just dipped into a tank of resin. That coats the outside but doesn't properly impregnate the coils.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Gentlemen, and ladies, hi-fi is far too serious to crack jokes about!

No it's not. If we can't have a laugh at this wacky hobby of ours from time to time we really have some problems!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
No it's not. If we can't have a laugh at this wacky hobby of ours from time to time we really have some problems!

True but this problem is annoying to say the least when one has spent a fair amount of cash on the product only to find one of the transformers is giving grief (either due to build-spec or more usually it seems to mains issue as is happening for us in this thread).

I can smile but after 9k on a transport this is not a problem I wanted, ironically I went with this product as mechanically is superbly silent, so silent the freaking transformer is doing my head in at low volume hehehe :)
And the issue for me is the house mains/electrics and maybe this is something the manufacturer cannot design fully for, but those like me with this problem are not happy its happening, especially when other good kit is fine.

Just a heads up to those with the problem, I may be trying the Isotek Synchro in next week or so as I just purchased new standmounts from a dealer who sells them (will see if he can loan me a Synchro with delivery of the speakers).
Cheers
Orb

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
It would help to try and pool experiences and solutions at this point. My dealer is in the process - he says - of discussing my problem (a humming DMA260) with Spectral. I have not gone on the phone to the company myself because I think it is the reasonable responsibility for the dealer to find a solution. Certainly for such an expensive piece of kit - and my heavy duty investment in Spectral - where I am is not satisfactory.

When I hear his practical solution to the problem - be it send the amp back or some other - I will report here. It would be good to hear what other members are doing and achieving.

I am aware of how delicate or set up dependent Spectral can be and I wonder if there is something in how my cables are running that is generating hum?

Thanks

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It would help to try and pool experiences and solutions at this point. My dealer is in the process - he says - of discussing my problem (a humming DMA260) with Spectral. I have not gone on the phone to the company myself because I think it is the reasonable responsibility for the dealer to find a solution. Certainly for such an expensive piece of kit - and my heavy duty investment in Spectral - where I am is not satisfactory.

When I hear his practical solution to the problem - be it send the amp back or some other - I will report here. It would be good to hear what other members are doing and achieving.

I am aware of how delicate or set up dependent Spectral can be and I wonder if there is something in how my cables are running that is generating hum?

Thanks

If that is the case, ask your dealer to lend you some other cables.

gratefulgroveway

Jan 23, 2011
Myles

I have tried different cables. Indeed I have experimented with the amp unconnected. It still hums. As pointed out this is the 2nd 260 I have had in the house. Both hum.

Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing