Speaker placement and other factors......

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The first step is to abandon our natural tendency toward symmetry.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
in each person's walk down the high end audio road there are moments where one hears something that they want for themselves. but to be in that mind set they have to be open to really listening. when we get a reference in our minds that we don't hear in our own set-up all of a sudden we get open minded and then our visual priorities take a back seat to what we want to hear.

sometimes there is a learning curve before the clouds part and one 'gets' what good sound can actually sound like.

if a person is not at that point then you just have to celebrate the good things about the music that they do hear.....and be happy for them for what they enjoy.

you can have 'music friends' that don't have audiophile sensibilities....and may never have them. they like shiny pretty stuff.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Also depends on how knowledgeable the sales guy was. Doesn't have anything to do with integrity if he flat out doesn't know. Rob:)

Rob,

Pretty simple in my mind. If you are selling something, you should know about the products that you are selling. It's one very important component of "customer service".

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, we make sure to mention to potential customers the characteristics of each speaker, and any particular positioning they'd require. For instance, YGs are generally easier to place, and will sound peachy up against the wall. Other brands, particularly with ports in the back, won't be as easy/simple...

From what DaveyF describes, this guy needs a Linn system, with the DSP/room correction mechanism. If only he'd visited us before buying all that stuff... :)

cheers,
alex

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Rob,

Pretty simple in my mind. If you are selling something, you should know about the products that you are selling. It's one very important component of "customer service".

I agree with you just have had several experiences where that was not the case.

Rob:)

Rob

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron.. a 25' x 20' room and you have to seat back at the wall? I am missing something here ...

The panels of the Prodigys are about 8' from the front wall. I sit about 12' away from the speakers. The back of my couch is about 2' from the back wall.

I have two 4' X 8' ASC absorption panels covering the entire back wall behind the couch.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
From what DaveyF describes, this guy needs a Linn system, with the DSP/room correction mechanism. If only he'd visited us before buying all that stuff... :)

cheers,
alex

Indeed, I wish that I had known the guy before he bought all of the gear...would certainly have recommended you guys.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Yeah -- it's important, Davey, but you work with whatever physical realities are extant. :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
...most of them (perhaps not so much here) are terrible setups and indicate either ignorance or the influence of excessive external constraints. Obvious examples include asymmetries like having one speaker in a corner and the other adjacent to an open door way...

Haha...your describing our listening environment. :cool:
We're of the "excessive external constraints" cohort. :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The panels of the Prodigys are about 8' from the front wall. I sit about 12' away from the speakers. The back of my couch is about 2' from the back wall.

I have two 4' X 8' ASC absorption panels covering the entire back wall behind the couch.

I assume you would have moved your chair between 8' to 12' before deciding 12 is best?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I assume you would have moved your chair between 8' to 12' before deciding 12 is best?

Was about to ask a similar question.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Yes, I did. I never found that an equilateral triangle configuration worked for me with MLs.

Interestingly an equilateral triangle and Rule of Thirds configuration is good for the Pendragons.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
A few years back I was at a local dealer's 'Meet the Manufacturer night'. While there a customer asked the factory representative of Sonus Faber if he could hear the stand mounted Guarneri speakers. I was invited to tag along to another sound room where the rep proceeded to set up the Guarneri's. The rep started by adjusting the balance control to the left channel only (all McIntosh electronics). Listening to a female vocal he moved the left speaker till he was satisfied with the sound. He then moved the right speaker out into the room while playing the same vocal with the balance control centred. When he was finished the left speaker was six to eight inches forward compared to the right. (he claimed the equipment rack down the left wall and in front of the left speaker was the reason for the unequal spacing)

Not having the speakers an equal distance into the room seems foreign to me and I remember sitting in the listening chair that night expecting, maybe a little determine, to hear an anonymity. I have to say the speakers disappeared, the sound stage was excellent and the overall tonal structure was fine.

In my room, my kit is almost as Jim Smith's book recommends, but after that Sonus Faber demonstration I have an open mind when I see a setup that is not symmetrical or following the 'Perfect ratio'.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Not having the speakers an equal distance into the room seems foreign to me and I remember sitting in the listening chair that night expecting, maybe a little determine, to hear an anonymity. I have to say the speakers disappeared, the sound stage was excellent and the overall tonal structure was fine.

In my room, my kit is almost as Jim Smith's book recommends, but after that Sonus Faber demonstration I have an open mind when I see a setup that is not symmetrical or following the 'Perfect ratio'.

jn229, I know a little about Guarneri's. I can tell you that IME they need to be set up with precision. The G's benefit greatly from laser alignment. I suppose that in the demo that you heard, they were set up as well as could be expected ( given the supposed constraints) but like many speakers, a basic set up is ok, however, IF one wants to truly hear what the speaker can do...then correct alignment and care in placement will yield dividends. Somehow I strongly suspect you did not hear anything like what the Guarneri's are able to bring in that demo.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
A few years back I was at a local dealer's 'Meet the Manufacturer night'. While there a customer asked the factory representative of Sonus Faber if he could hear the stand mounted Guarneri speakers. I was invited to tag along to another sound room where the rep proceeded to set up the Guarneri's. The rep started by adjusting the balance control to the left channel only (all McIntosh electronics). Listening to a female vocal he moved the left speaker till he was satisfied with the sound. He then moved the right speaker out into the room while playing the same vocal with the balance control centred. When he was finished the left speaker was six to eight inches forward compared to the right. (he claimed the equipment rack down the left wall and in front of the left speaker was the reason for the unequal spacing)

Hmm...interesting. How about toe-in? So, the listening position was not equidistant to either loudspeaker :confused:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
At one time, the placement of this system used to be much worse. When she had WatchDogs, everything was bunched up in the middle in a perfect line.

521640_10152062264477656_119081277_n.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
At one time, the placement of this system used to be much worse. When she had WatchDogs, everything was bunched up in the middle in a perfect line.

View attachment 26298

WOW:eek::eek:, That is really an awesome picture, Bruce! You say she....is that a typo??? If not, at least 'she' has some great gear,LOL. Hate to think what it must have sounded like in that set-up and room:(. OTOH, probably better than the Bose systems that most all ladies are enjoying.:D

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk

anyone who sets up their speakers with just a tape measure is a moron imo. the guy you're talking about seems to really know his stuff. if you're a OCD audiophile you might not be able to handle the sight of your speakers not being exactly the same in a perfect triangle of some kind.. i would say try not to restrict yourselves in this way as you will also be restricting your hi fi.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

View attachment 26298

Do reflections from the uncovered windows cause any problem?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Do reflections from the uncovered windows cause any problem?

They have to ... but ...

Somewhere, somehow we must raise the notion of measurements ... as in measuring where the FR is the smoother. That is not an easy (but eminently doable) task and in the anti-science current mood that permeates the hobby, it is almost not desired at the least unilkely to be contemplated. But that is what the listening position is about .. A position where the drivers coalesce, the FR is the least bumpy and the presentation (soundstage, imaging, etc) the more favorable...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing