Speaker placement and other factors......

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
anyone who sets up their speakers with just a tape measure is a moron imo. the guy you're talking about seems to really know his stuff. if you're a OCD audiophile you might not be able to handle the sight of your speakers not being exactly the same in a perfect triangle of some kind.. i would say try not to restrict yourselves in this way as you will also be restricting your hi fi.

Tape measure (or better, laser measurement) is very useful, and I employed precise configuration based on that to obtain significantly improved presence and palpability of sound images. So I would be the last one to dismiss it, and I would recommend it as a very good starting point. However, as you suggest, it is no absolute. With perfect geometrical alignment my center image was not precisely in the middle. So I moved the left speaker back an inch and, voila, the center image was spot on. That small trick to get the center right, moving one of the speakers back or forth a bit, is actually described in the manual of Genesis speakers.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I found years ago on the internet from some mechanic supply retailer giant (several feet long) precision rulers and giant "T" squares made out of thick aluminum. I set these rulers and "T" squares out on the floor, clamping them together for longer lengths, if necessary, and measure and line up the speakers against them. It works pretty well.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, a good laser is not expensive these days....and well worth it for ease and precision of set-up.
As to glass behind a speaker....iMHO never a good thing as far as SQ is concerned.Although there are multiple ways to minimize glass impact on SQ, none of which look like they were utilized in the photo above...:(

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ron, a good laser is not expensive these days....and well worth it for ease and precision of set-up.

Yes, 80 bucks, a no-brainer.

As to glass behind a speaker....iMHO never a good thing as far as SQ is concerned.Although there are multiple ways to minimize glass impact on SQ, none of which look like they were utilized in the photo above...:(

I describe the effect that ASC window plugs have on the sound of my system here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17334-My-minimonitor-subwoofer-system/page2

(post #12 photos, # 13 description of effect)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
WOW:eek::eek:, That is really an awesome picture, Bruce! You say she....is that a typo??? If not, at least 'she' has some great gear,LOL. Hate to think what it must have sounded like in that set-up and room:(. OTOH, probably better than the Bose systems that most all ladies are enjoying.:D

Yes, she.... her name is Tamara and drives a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG....!

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Tape measure (or better, laser measurement) is very useful, and I employed precise configuration based on that to obtain significantly improved presence and palpability of sound images. So I would be the last one to dismiss it, and I would recommend it as a very good starting point. However, as you suggest, it is no absolute. With perfect geometrical alignment my center image was not precisely in the middle. So I moved the left speaker back an inch and, voila, the center image was spot on. That small trick to get the center right, moving one of the speakers back or forth a bit, is actually described in the manual of Genesis speakers.

yea, i use a laser too, its good for toe in as you can often pull the left speaker in more than the right but i adjust by ear and end up with things non regular.. like you by the sounds of it :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I hear 'ya!

But it is comforting to me to measure the distances manually and to see the speakers properly aligned on the giant rulers on the floor. : )

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Well, we make sure to mention to potential customers the characteristics of each speaker, and any particular positioning they'd require. For instance, YGs are generally easier to place, and will sound peachy up against the wall. Other brands, particularly with ports in the back, won't be as easy/simple...

From what DaveyF describes, this guy needs a Linn system, with the DSP/room correction mechanism. If only he'd visited us before buying all that stuff... :)

cheers,
alex

A belated thank you for your post Alex.
I have a Scarlatti Transport and DAC on audition at home together with my Scarlatti Clock which normally sees service with my DCS Puccini.
The Scarlatti Transport/DAC is as you would expect a big improvement but a few days ago I thought this is not sounding as good as I think it can. I wasn't sure why and I then remembered your above post.
My Kipod Signature passives fire across my 21x12 room and I decided to try moving them back about 1.5". Really successful.
The bass has improved significantly, sound stage deeper and vocals project more into the room. Jagger has never sounded better particularly on SACD and FM broadcasts on my Magnum Dynalab 109 have improved similarly.
They are now just under 12" from the long rear wall and sound better than ever.
So thanks very much and a good example of the benefits of WBF and how you can learn from others!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing