Sound systems in a small restaurant/bar.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi y'all. Not sure if WBF is the right place for this, but here goes.

A good friend of mine is soon to launch a small restaurant/bar, a Thai affair w his wife who is a fantastic cook.

He's come to me to get some advice, so I'm coming to all of you. He just needs advice on spkrs, amplification. He'll sort the source/streaming. But would like to know what he should be considering on amplification and spkrs.

What should I be asking him, to gauge best advice?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I know it doesn't get much respect, but for a small restaurant, I would not dismiss Bose. If one wanted to upgrade, I was at a small open restaurant in one of the long terminal corridors Newark airport recently and noticed that the sound was relatively pleasant (defined as not thin but rather full bodied, warm, and inviting as opposed to sonic noise). I looked up and saw they were using Devialet Phantoms. Designed for easy streaming. Might be all he needs.

Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanx Marty, these options did cross my mind. Any thoughts on amping for multi Bose setup? Phantoms are self powered active, yes?

Any thoughts on number of spkrs per set square/cubic feet/table?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
He can put JBL 4343 like in some Japanese restaurant
In Milan there is a restaurant with jbl 4350 and ARC D 79 B
And when you hear these, do you want to eat more?

Reactions: bonzo75

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've heard very nice sound from Bose speakers in restaurants, I was impressed and transported nicely with my food. It didn't make me eat more but slower to taste better (I did order a nice dessert). It was a French Canadian restaurant in Montreal, and they had those tall water pipes that you could pick your flavor (smoking tea pipes, no drugs, all pure virgin coconut or apricot or cherry or caramel flavor for the palate and for the aroma). ...Very romantic, all the women were into that a lot. It's like an aphrodisiac with music during and after your meal, dessert too. ...Very chic, high cachet, beautiful elegant clientele with romance and good taste.

https://www.proacousticsusa.com/com...l-sound-systems/restaurant-sound-systems.html

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/what-speakers-to-use-in-a-bar-restaurant-environment

https://m.wikihow.com/Install-a-Commercial-Sound-System
_____

Marc, this is a superb thread, perfect for WBF to put on first page of its presentation...with bouquets of flowers...roses and tulips and orchids and yellow spring daffodils and lilacs.
* Photos of Thai food plates and bowls.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As a non audiophile and also needing to spend on fitting out, I believe his phrase was "non mucho dinero".

I'll check w him, but £20k/$25-30k kinda tops, to incl everything.

I just need some pointer to competitively priced stuff that will neither grate w diners, nor have that one note bass thing you hear in so many places.

I'm trying to find out how big his place is, how many tables, likely number of spkrs needed.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich

I'm trying to find out how big his place is, how many tables, likely number of spkrs needed.

Hhm. I would think that a JBL active sytem or Genelec-inwall is very adaptive to a multiroom situation.
Or a two McIntosh Integrated's with four Harbeth SuperHL5's:cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ooh, even I'd travel to hear that.
Of course, beaten by the club in Central London using Vox Olympian horns and Kuzma and Technics tts.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hhm. I would think that a JBL active sytem or Genelec-inwall is very adaptive to a multiroom situation.
Or a two McIntosh Integrated's with four Harbeth SuperHL5's:cool:
G, why that particular model of Harbeths? There are less expensive ones in the range. I have a feeling my friend might need 3 or 4 pairs, which w amps might bust his budget. I'm asking him size of room, number of tables etc to ascertain.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
G, why that particular model of Harbeths? There are less expensive ones in the range. I have a feeling my friend might need 3 or 4 pairs, which w amps might bust his budget. I'm asking him size of room, number of tables etc to ascertain.

Heard them once with SS amps and liked them. I also liked the 40.2 I heard in Munich some years ago.
I also own Technics SB-X700A's which offer some qualitys I also heard in Harbeths...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Devialet Phantoms, no doubt. Perfect for this application. Fully wireless, Wi-Fi not Bluetooth, can be wall-mounted, and you can have 24 of them playing simultaneously. Streams Tidal and Qobuz directly from its own app. Piece of cake.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
As a non audiophile and also needing to spend on fitting out, I believe his phrase was "non mucho dinero".

I just need some pointer to competitively priced stuff that will neither grate w diners, nor have that one note bass thing you hear in so many places.

That should include the stove, the oven, the fridge and the kitchen sink for that money ($25-30K).

500-1000 sq. ft:
1 or 2 Zones with independent volume control.
2 sources.
2-6 speakers
$750 - $1500

1000-2000 sq. ft
1-3 Zones with independent volume control.
2 sources.
4-10 speakers $1500 - $3000

2000-3000 sq. ft:
1-5 Zones with independent volume control.
2-5 sources.
6-14 speakers
$3000 - $5000

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions rolling in.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Devialet Phantoms, no doubt. Perfect for this application. Fully wireless, Wi-Fi not Bluetooth, can be wall-mounted, and you can have 24 of them playing simultaneously. Streams Tidal and Qobuz directly from its own app. Piece of cake.
Alex, is there a simple reasonably affordable central streaming source in a restaraunt situation you'd look at?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing