Sony and dCS Shine at Music Lovers SF

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar-The Rolling Stones albums were released as dual-layer CD/SACDs. I walked into a Best Buy years ago looking for them and when I asked the sales clerk where their SACDs were, he looked at me and said "What are SACDs?"

Yes, I'm aware. But I wonder how much it costs to re-release in DSD

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes, I'm aware. But I wonder how much it costs to re-release in DSD

I think it would basically be the cost of the remastering from tape to DSD. I doubt it costs more to press an SACD than a CD.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If we're talking about material that they already own or control rights to, it shouldn't cost any more than re-releasing them on any other hi-rez format. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they haven't done it yet is that they haven't decided on the vehicle(s) to bring them to market.

caesar

May 30, 2010
$30X 2,000 = $60,000. That $30 includes the remastering costs, seller's margin, packaging costs, distribution costs, advertising, allocated fixed costs, etc.

Unless I am missing something, it can't cost that much for the remastering to DSD.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
$30X 2,000 = $60,000. That $30 includes the remastering costs, seller's margin, packaging costs, distribution costs, advertising, allocated fixed costs, etc.

Unless I am missing something, it can't cost that much for the remastering to DSD.

Agreed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If we admit that DSD is very close to master tape and superior to the other PCM formats (please take note of the IF) I can imagine that most recording companies will not be wanting to release to the public almost indistinguishable copies of their master tapes - it will put the consumer in an equal status with the recording industry in sound quality.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Prior to digital audio, the recording companies used to strive to give us sound as close as possible to the master tape as they could. But now the digital genie is out of the bottle.

But I almost forgot, we won't find agreement on the superiority of DSD over other digital formats. Some people are still saying lossy MP3 is the balls.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Yuki pulled out his CD wallet and played Look What We Started Now off of the George Duke album Illusions and my friend's jaw just dropped. He fell in love. Yuki then played Diablo Rojo off of the self-titled Rodrigo Y Gabriela album, the one with a close up of a dinosaur's eye, and all of us were rocking and groovin' to the beat. What amazing guitarists.

It was a great afternoon.

Ron:As a direct result of your recommendation, I purchased both of these and the music is awesome and very well recorded.

Thanks....

Chuck

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing