Song Writers

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Songs and songwriters have, since The Beatles hit these shores singing songs of their own composition, driven my interest in music. My favorite performers have always been (IMO) the best songwriters. I can easily overlook, even learn to love a weak voice delivering great songs (big Bob fan). As a guitar player, my favorite lead players have always been guys like George Harrison, Stephen Stills, Richard Thompson, Mike Campbell who, while massively talented, never failed to serve the purpose of the song above showboating their prodigious skills.

These days, in fact for awhile now, I've been of the opinion that the best current (and recent) American songwriters are working in that vague genre known as Americana -- Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett...

But lately I've been stepping way outside of my comfort zone as a musician. I'm learning standards -- 'S Wonderful, Let's Do It, Let's Fall In Love, Fever, Mack the Knife, and I'm also working up country and rock standards from the 50s and 60s -- King of the Road, Sea of Heartbreak, Pretty Woman -- These are some of the best examples of song craft I've ever come across.

So what are your best songs? Best songwriters? And what is it about them that touches you so deeply?

Tim

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Favorites is a tough sell. Off the cuff
Calvary Cross fm Richard still hits me a certain way after all these years.
I still am fond of Ray Lamontangne, though I'm not a fan of the new release. Early albums I like alot cause I'm reminded of his days at the local Holiday Inn with just his sideman.
Mark Knofler, KebMo come to mind. Lately I like the playing/writing of Sarah Jarosz. James Taylor should be here somewhere.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My generation (X) was labeled as the broody, angst-y generation. It's no wonder if you go by the songwriters we gravitated to. What folks failed to see was this music was our "break time" from the harder, more direct music that we listened to more and served as the soundtrack of the live to work, work to play mindset.

A few favorite western songwriters (not necessarily folk oriented nor singers for that matter) loved in our neck o the woods off the top of my head.

Susanne Vega
Tori Amos
Sarah Mclachlan
Ben Watt
Beth Orton
Elvis Costello
Peter Murphy
Brendan Perry
David Sylvian

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Instead of Americana, let me offer up some Canadiana:

Jim Cuddy (Blue Rodeo)
Gord Downey (The Tragically Hip)
Ron Sexsmith

Of course, no list of songs and songwriters is complete without the mention of Gordon Lightfoot.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Instead of Americana, let me offer up some Canadiana:

Jim Cuddy (Blue Rodeo)
Gord Downey (The Tragically Hip)
Ron Sexsmith

Of course, no list of songs and songwriters is complete without the mention of Gordon Lightfoot.

I'd throw Bruce Cockburn in there, too. As a songwriter and as one of those great players who bends his great skill to the service of the song. And frankly, I'm not at all sure Americana is well-named, as IMO, The Band invented the form, and they were a bunch of Canadians with one singing redneck drummer. :)

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Phelonious Ponk;281731[B said:
]I'd throw Bruce Cockburn in there, too.[/B] As a songwriter and as one of those great players who bends his great skill to the service of the song. And frankly, I'm not at all sure Americana is well-named, as IMO, The Band invented the form, and they were a bunch of Canadians with one singing redneck drummer. :)

Tim

I almost went back to edit my post earlier as I should certainly have mentioned BC.

How would you define Americana/Canadiana? Country/Roots, Country/Rock? Touch of folk perhaps? We tend to look at Country as an American musical form, but the music of many Canadian artists is deeply rooted in the country/folk tradition of the regions they grew up in.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Americana evades definition, and might just be the place where artists who defy category land, but I personally see it as (North) American roots music, in those places where the roots get entangled. So all kinds of blends of folk, country, blues, rock, even jazz qualify. The roots part means that it stays close to the roots, you can still taste them. It ain't a smoothie, if you take my meaning, so modern country rarely qualifies, while the incredibly eclectic Steve Earle is a poster boy for the genre. Given all of that, hopefully it's easy to see how I think of The Band as the founding fathers. Canadians and all.

Tim

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Given all of that, hopefully it's easy to see how I think of The Band as the founding fathers. Canadians and all.

Tim
Lets not forget Mr Zimmerman as somewhat influential

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Martin Sexton...the best songwriter/vocalist/guitar player you've never heard of..

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Americana evades definition, and might just be the place where artists who defy category land, but I personally see it as (North) American roots music, in those places where the roots get entangled. So all kinds of blends of folk, country, blues, rock, even jazz qualify. The roots part means that it stays close to the roots, you can still taste them. It ain't a smoothie, if you take my meaning, so modern country rarely qualifies, while the incredibly eclectic Steve Earle is a poster boy for the genre. Given all of that, hopefully it's easy to see how I think of The Band as the founding fathers. Canadians and all.

Tim

Great explanation Tim. Thanks!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Lets not forget Mr Zimmerman as somewhat influential
Didn't he fizzle out after he went all electric on people? :p

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Of recent vintage:
Leonard Cohen
Stevie Wonder (pre 1990's)
Jobim
Elton John/Bernie Taupin
Elvis Costello
Damien Jurado
Glimmer Twins

Old school:
Harold Arlen
Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn
Rodgers/Hammerstein
Cole Porter
Lerner/Lowe
Jules Styne
George & Ira Gershwin

Last edited:

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Some of my favorites that I think fit your category...

John Prine
Guy Clark
Townes Van Zandt
Amos Lee
Bruce Cockburn
Chris Smither
JJ Cale
Gurf Morlix
T-Bone Burnett
Rosanne Cash
Ryan Adams
Neil Young
Tom Waits
Greg Brown
Dan Penn
Darden Smith
Gordon Lightfoot

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
for my money, i think Neil Finn is the best singer-songwriter going.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Joni Mitchell from my generation and slightly after.

Larry

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
My generation (X) was labeled as the broody, angst-y generation. It's no wonder if you go by the songwriters we gravitated to. What folks failed to see was this music was our "break time" from the harder, more direct music that we listened to more and served as the soundtrack of the live to work, work to play mindset.

A few favorite western songwriters (not necessarily folk oriented nor singers for that matter) loved in our neck o the woods off the top of my head.

Susanne Vega
Tori Amos
Sarah Mclachlan
Ben Watt
Beth Orton
Elvis Costello
Peter Murphy
Brendan Perry
David Sylvian

Ben Watt. That name takes me back to the 80s. I have a friend who was a big Everything But The Girl fan. Elvis C. for me, too.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For your friend Mike :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
They wouldn't mean anything if you don't speak French, but I thought I'd mention them anyway:

Robert Charlebois
Gilles Vigneault
Serge Fiori
Richard Seguin

:p

I will however add Dan Fogelberg,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing