Sme 30/2

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Oh well, so much for getting as far as I've gotten.

Here is the email from Yip:

Many thanks for the email.

Regarding SME tonearms I need to know the MHST distance of the
cartridge. Details please read here:

http://www.mintlp.com/best/sme tonearms.htm

just dismount the cartridge, place it carefully on a table. Then place
a tranparent ruler to the front, take a digital picture at the closet
possible distance [ie macro view]. The photo will tell you what it is.
Not difficult at all and my webpage should have a lot of examples, all
done by my users.

For your interest, please take a look at this link as well:

http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=323&Itemid=360

Feel very free to ask me questions,

Regards,

Yip

So now I have to take the damn thing back off now. I would certainly think he would have a list of common cartridge measurements. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Oh well, so much for getting as far as I've gotten.

Here is the email from Yip:

Many thanks for the email.

Regarding SME tonearms I need to know the MHST distance of the
cartridge. Details please read here:

http://www.mintlp.com/best/sme tonearms.htm

just dismount the cartridge, place it carefully on a table. Then place
a tranparent ruler to the front, take a digital picture at the closet
possible distance [ie macro view]. The photo will tell you what it is.
Not difficult at all and my webpage should have a lot of examples, all
done by my users.

For your interest, please take a look at this link as well:

http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=323&Itemid=360

Feel very free to ask me questions,

Regards,

Yip

So now I have to take the damn thing back off now. I would certainly think he would have a list of common cartridge measurements. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Bruce,

try contacting your dealer or distributor for your cartridge, they may have that measurment for your cartridge. it's not likely you are the first owner to need that.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,

try contacting your dealer or distributor for your cartridge, they may have that measurment for your cartridge. it's not likely you are the first owner to need that.

Thanks Mike.... just sent an email to Jaime. Hopefully he can help me with this.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Cartridges can each have a slightly different MHST, even if they are the same model. I used a digital caliper that I found on Ebay for $15. The MHST distance for my AirTight Supreme is 9.27mm. VTF will alter this distance slightly. Best to measure with the cartridge mounted in the arm and the stylus on a flat surface at the correct VTF. Good magnification and lighting can help.

I did discover that Yip did not have the correct offset angle for the SME V-12 arm, so I supplied him with that angle, the MHST distance for my cartridge and the SME V-12 pivot to mounting hole distance (300.8mm). Then one can do the math to determine what the actual effective length is (pivot to stylus tip distance). This can vary by a few mm so precise dimensions are critical.

You'll find that the MINT is very accurate if Yip is supplied with the correct dimensions.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The instructions do say to have the cartridge upside down for measurement using a clear ruler. I'm not taking any chances with a $15k cartridge.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Cartridges can each have a slightly different MHST, even if they are the same model. I used a digital caliper that I found on Ebay for $15. The MHST distance for my AirTight Supreme is 9.27mm. VTF will alter this distance slightly. Best to measure with the cartridge mounted in the arm and the stylus on a flat surface at the correct VTF. Good magnification and lighting can help.

I did discover that Yip did not have the correct offset angle for the SME V-12 arm, so I supplied him with that angle, the MHST distance for my cartridge and the SME V-12 pivot to mounting hole distance (300.8mm). Then one can do the math to determine what the actual effective length is (pivot to stylus tip distance). This can vary by a few mm so precise dimensions are critical.

You'll find that the MINT is very accurate if Yip is supplied with the correct dimensions.

Wondering if you measure from the center of the mounting bolt hole or the front edge? My guess would be the center.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
If you do not want to measure it with the stylus loaded then you could figure it out afterward. Just place the clear ruler on the platter and drop the stylus (mounted in the arm) by the mm marker on the ruler. Then note how far the stylus moves forward after settling on the ruler. Add this distance to the MHTS distance measured without loading of the stylus. IME it will be about .5 to 1 mm depending on the compliance of the cartridge.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The instructions do say to have the cartridge upside down for measurement using a clear ruler. I'm not taking any chances with a $15k cartridge.

The good point of using the SME standard process is that you check for the accuracy of the cartridge angle offset (the most critical aspect of the adjustment) taking a photo and measuring it from the photo. IMHO methods that rely mainly on visual observation are too unreliable.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Just got the Mint LP Tractor today. Anyone up for some cartridge alignment tonight? LOL

Mint LP.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Be glad to come over after work on Thursday.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks to jazzdoc, the SME is ready for the F1 circuit! We went through the LP Mint setup and then the VTA ritual with some albums he brought over. Had a really great time. Many thanks and a hope to have more guests over for a listen as soon as the cartridge settles in. Only have a few hours on it and it's everything people say it is.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Had a great time Bruce! Your system is sweet. My first opportunity to hear a Koetsu stonebody....pretty amazing! Congrats and enjoy!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
and the best thing, I hooked it up to the main system and just cranked it. since it's in the other room, no feedback! Who needs a Herzan???

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing