Small Business: Doctors going broke

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Jazdoc,

I don't really want to get into a debate about who killed who, because you'd lose that argument in a heartbeat. So instead, let's get back to the topic at hand. Whether you like it or not, government not only has a role to pay in this issue, it has a duty and a responsibility to see to it that services reach those who need it. The lack of a total subsidized healthcare system in the U.S. is a shameful strike against a great nation. And if I may be so bold, there is no political will in your country to rectify it either....on either side of the political fence I might add. Instead, porkbarrel politics is becoming even more entrenched as those involved in the glad-handing are getting richer by the second. I personally think the problem is beyond fixing.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think there are certain individuals who think that universal health care means that they will become the six million dollar man on the public tax dime.

They think they can drink, smoke, use drugs, live recklessly, reproduce incontinently and they will get liver, lung, kidney and heart transplants on demand with all the artificial limbs and eyes they may require, without supporting their own children or even working.

I see this sort of thing a lot. But I can't say I've ever...not once...seen it from someone who is actually expressing that point of view. I've only seen it attributed to faceless, anonymous people by those who oppose whatever it is -- healthcare, welfare, medicare, Europeans, a particular political candidate -- whose policies they imagine will create those conditions. It is the very essence of the straw man argument; create an absurd position that you attribute to your opponent, but which is not held by your opponent, and argue against that instead of his actual point of view. Why? It's easy to appear to defeat a shallow cliche.

Strawman is actually a very polite, but not totally honest term for it. Duplicitous bullshit would be more to the point.

Tim

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Tim,

In a sense I agree with you. Once the state becomes the sole provider of health care it has the right to deny treatments that it deems not cost effective, i.e. chemotherapy for the elderly. Indeed, doesn't the state have an implicit moral obligation to restrict healthcare to those who burden society with costs resulting from their unhealthy lifestyle choices?

Patricia Hewitt, the former head of the British National Health Service has already advocated withholding health care for the obese and from smokers (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...erate-on-smokers-and-the-obese-says-hewitt.do). While controversial, this makes explicit what is already occurring in practice. Sadly, many UK physicians agree. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576704/Dont-treat-the-old-and-unhealthy-say-doctors.html)

But rationing isn't limited to those who don't make socially acceptable lifestyle choices. Currently the NHS is rationing services for cataracts surgeries, tonsillectomies and joint replacements to save money (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-nhs-begins-rationing-operations-2327268.html).

But you'll be comforted to know that the Scottish NHS is proudly trumpeting their efforts to cut waiting times from diagnosis to treatment to under 1/3 of a year! (http://www.18weeks.scot.nhs.uk/)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

At times I have to wonder what people think how a country will hold without a government ... I also wonder how people think hat such a system out to function? Without taxes? The interesting thing is that these people use the Internet to protest the government or most often public parks to do the same .. The Irony of things ..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

At times I have to wonder what people think how a country will hold without a government ... I also wonder how people think hat such a system out to function? Without taxes? The interesting thing is that these people use the Internet to protest the government or most often public parks to do the same .. The Irony of things ..

See Somalia :(

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hi

Frantz,

That's a bit of a 'straw man' argument. This nation was founded on the principle of limited government. Nearly everyone understands that government fulfills an indispensable role; be it national defense or establishing a clear 'rule set' of society. The Constitution was written to define this limited role in order to protect the individual.

Let's invert the argument...what are your limiting principles, i.e. what should government not be allowed to do? Along the same lines, is there any current function of government that is run so poorly or is so ineffective as to not merit continued funding?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Giving corporations the same rights as individuals. The U.S. Supreme Court, tipped in the balance of *strict constructionists*, gave such rights to corporations. When they do such things, of course, the right wing doesn't accuse them of being activist. But give individuals more rights and judges are accused of judicial activism. Pathetic.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Then we should be good, with regulation at a low, and enforcement even lower.

Tim

But we have neither. Ask any doctor who deals with regulations, or has to allocate 30-40% of his staff to regulatory compliance tasks.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Giving corporations the same rights as individuals. The U.S. Supreme Court, tipped in the balance of *strict constructionists*, gave such rights to corporations. When they do such things, of course, the right wing doesn't accuse them of being activist. But give individuals more rights and judges are accused of judicial activism. Pathetic.

Ron this is a very interesting topic and I hope some of our lawyer membership jumps in. Just to clarify your position, are you saying that corporations should not have any rights or protections such as due process, etc. or is this only referring to speech a la 'Citizens United'?

Does limiting a corporation's rights simultaneously limit its responsibilities, i.e. you can only tax people not a non-person?

Are there any other groups who shouldn't have some rights of individuals such as non-profits and unions?

Again, not trying to be argumentative. I think this is a fascinating topic deserving of further discussion and your point is a good one, just open ended.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Ron this is a very interesting topic and I hope some of our lawyer membership jumps in. Just to clarify your position, are you saying that corporations should not have any rights or protections such as due process, etc. or is this only referring to speech a la 'Citizens United'?

I mentioned 2 points: corporate welfare and personhood. Citizens United is the jumping off point for corporate personhood.

Does limiting a corporation's rights simultaneously limit its responsibilities, i.e. you can only tax people not a non-person?

Talk about corporate welfare (my second point):eek:. Heck no.

Oh. I am in the lawyer membership here.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Are there any other groups who shouldn't have some rights of individuals such as non-profits and unions?

Again, not trying to be argumentative. I think this is a fascinating topic deserving of further discussion and your point is a good one, just open ended.

I'll believe a corporation is a person when Texas executes one!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Talk about corporate welfare (my second point). Heck no.

Again, just to be sure we are talking to and not past each other, you are against all tax breaks and government subsidies for corporations (and I assume partnerships, LLC's, etc)?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I'll believe a corporation is a person when Texas executes one!
Good one!

All tax breaks and gov't subsidies? I don't know all of them, so I cannot answer the question as framed.

We're taking this thread far afield from its original topic.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Let me try and redirect it back...

How do you reconcile the rights of an individual versus the individual mandate of the 'Affordable Care Act'?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing