Slow Car Fast or Fast Car Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I drove the Targa Florio a few years ago (I'm not even sure if it is running these days, sort of typical Italian administrative complexities and warring factions) in a TOTAL piece of **** 50's Triumph. The car had a classically bad electrical system and broke down constantly. (At the time, I think I had the Diablo 6.0 in the garage at home). The car was completely squirrely on the web cobblestones climbing Mt.Pelligrino, and had no real speed. The lighting was like candles at night. But, i was about five inches off the ground, with the door cut-outs i could palm the pavement as i drove- and the route was all B- and C roads, through the mountains. With the largish steering wheel, a horrible shifter and no real power, you pretty much drove it flat out to keep up. It was a ball. I ran a 20's British car that I had restored for a while, and right hand drive, cable brakes and no real grip using huge wire wheels made it a challenge to drive at 50 mph. Maybe I'm just getting old. I'd still like to own a period Bentley red label 3 with a 4.5 litre motor. Those cars were the hot-rods of their day and are still run competitively, in their class, with amazing results.

the real targa died after the '73 race, those were the days "when racing was dangerous and sex was safe" but the amateur event lives on and i believe IRC is still held there.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
the real targa died after the '73 race, those were the days "when racing was dangerous and sex was safe" but the amateur event lives on and i believe IRC is still held there.
Agreed. This was not a wheel to wheel race. It was more like a suntan on wheels.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I like sports cars, not much on trucks. I'd buy a restored 246 Dino and never look back.

Same here I like sports cars also our family has a G wagen. I would also cherish owning a 246 gt Dino someday ( I even gave my son this nickname because I love the 246's) but unfortunately in this country of ours w/ my meager income I can only aspire to own a 328 GTB if they're prices dont appreciate that much in the future. In my humble opinion the cars of today have a lot of HP but they're big & heavy.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Same here I like sports cars also our family has a G wagen. I would also cherish owning a 246 gt Dino someday ( I even gave my son this nickname because I love the 246's) but unfortunately in this country of ours w/ my meager income I can only aspire to own a 328 GTB if they're prices dont appreciate that much in the future. In my humble opinion the cars of today have a lot of HP but they're big & heavy.

there was a time when dinos were worth less that 308s. it was like ferraris red headed step child with a v6 built by lancia and devoid enzo's surname anywhere on the car except his son's. lambo miuras were like that in the early eighties you could still find them for ~20k back then. jay leno got one of his two miuras for free! his mechanic was tired of working on it.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
there was a time when dinos were worth less that 308s. .
Yep, the ultimate underacheiver had to be the 2.4 FIAT Dino. Nobody took them seriously at the time- sort of the orphan of the step child, and you were paying Ferrari prices to repair a FIAT. But, man are those things gorgeous. A friend bought one a few years ago that he had restored, and despite all the more exotic stuff in his garage, that little Dino sings to me. The body work is voluptuous and its sound is just so right. I think I'd still rather have a 246, which, to my eye, is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.
Rob- I was seeing miuras cheap even into the late 90's. (Not factory split sump S/V's but the others- that car's another one that had a history of catching fire. Sort of an Italian tradition). There's a lawyer in New Orleans, Houtling, if memory serves, who had the Shah of Iran's Miura. He bought it before S/V prices went through the roof- it's a beautiful blue- i'm digging this out of old memory banks. Gorgeous car. The only other Lambo I considered was a periscope Countach. I almost bought one from Al Burtoni up near San Jose, but I simply couldn't fit into it. What a gorgeous car. The later ones do nothing for me- the flares and wings spoil the line of the car, which is a simple arc. They are tiny in the flesh. And that motor! It wasn't terribly expensive either- call it 95k dollars in around 1998 or so? Those went well above 4 or 500 k in the mid 2000's but I sorta lost track of Lambo after that. The oldest ones are the coolest, for sure.

PS, i found the old Shah car, it looks like the New Orleans' guy put it up for sale through Simon Kidston, who had some nice pics on his website.
http://www.kidston.com/kidston-cars/106/1971-Lamborghini-Miura-P400SV#

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
OK guys, this is just plain childish with "mine is bigger than yours"

Now let's stay on topic. If you want to show pix of your muscle cars, start a new thread. There are many members here with cars that make the above photos seem ordinary ;)

DEV, you need to take a humility pill IMHO

There are plenty of guys here who have cars that will destroy everything you have shown above. Difference is they know humbleness and don't need to flaunt it to gain notoriety as you seem to.

Enough said. If you want to discuss it, start another thread.

Well that was a uncalled reply don't you think Steve? Maybe read first before you throw arround accusations, it was just a friendly back and forth and that's it but your reply is totally uncalled for. On a power trip are we?

Last edited:

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
If I can recall I saw Nicholas Cage's Miura in a TV programm years ago (cant recall if it was Top Gear, or was it Fifth Gear) ,they said it was the ex Shah of Iran car. Was this the Jota model. I read somewhere that he is also selling this car. Fiat Dino is also nice car specially the Spider version.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If I can recall I saw Nicholas Cage's Miura in a TV programm years ago (cant recall if it was Top Gear, or was it Fifth Gear) ,they said it was the ex Shah of Iran car. Was this the Jota model. I read somewhere that he is also selling this car. Fiat Dino is also nice car specially the Spider version.
The one the guy in N.O. had was not the Jota. I think you are right that N. Cage got the Jota, he has had alot of crazy cars including big time Bugatti collectibles. The Shah had a few cars. No comment on the politics, though.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well that was a uncalled reply don't you think Steve? Maybe read first before you throw arround accusations, it was just a friendly back and forth and that's it but your reply is totally uncalled for. On a power trip are we?

Hi David

No power trip. Rather trying to keep
The thread on topic and IIRC it was you who quickly derailed it so a new thread was created by Bill. I trust you are OK with that

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Maybe we have guys here whose lurking at WBF whose also into collector cars specially sports and exotic cars of the past .I hope they make themselves active in this forum so we can discuss this passion of ours aside from audio.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Dev- you are welcome here, and I'm a car enthusiast happy to talk about 'em, though as you may have gathered, I've slowed down a little. Like audio too. If you are heading toward a ferrari, the guys at Ferrarichat (some of the old timers anyway) really know their stuff.
Best,
Bill Hart

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Maybe we have guys here whose lurking at WBF whose also into collector cars specially sports and exotic cars of the past .I hope they make themselves active in this forum so we can discuss this passion of ours aside from audio.
The passions are linked. Some of the tres serious collectors are pretty low key about it. I got into a thing once over on Ferrarichat- there was a guy there causing some trouble, and I used to help out. I was in the middle of teaching a class later that night and my blackberry buzzed. At the break, I checked it. It was an email from a well known rock star who lurked, telling me he had a run-in with the same dude over a Ferrari. Funny ****.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi David

No power trip. Rather trying to keep
The thread on topic and IIRC it was you who quickly derailed it so a new thread was created by Bill. I trust you are OK with that

That's crap! I never derailed it "TRY READING" and your comments towards me were rediculous and uncalled for.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev- you are welcome here, and I'm a car enthusiast happy to talk about 'em, though as you may have gathered, I've slowed down a little. Like audio too. If you are heading toward a ferrari, the guys at Ferrarichat (some of the old timers anyway) really know their stuff.
Best,
Bill Hart

I hope you know nothing was meant by any of my replies, just friendly back and forth. I don't have any real personal experience in latter models, I'm only in my 40's. I have owned two prior models though, not looking to track or race either.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I hope you know nothing was meant by any of my replies, just friendly back and forth. I don't have any real personal experience in latter models, I'm only in my 40's. I have owned two prior models though, not looking to track or race either.
Dev, we're totally cool, and i was actually poking fun at the uber truck thing. Happy to intro you to some Ferrari folks if you are not already connected. You can PM me or email me too.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
That's crap! I never derailed it "TRY READING" and your comments towards me were rediculous and uncalled for.

Dev, thats your opinion if you feel your comments did not "derail" the original thread topic but using words like "crap" to describe another members honest opinion is totally uncalled for.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

nicks car must have been an SV, the one and only jota burned to the ground. the 'stories' or chain of ownership is sometimes as interesting as the car itself. leno's free miura was ex-dean martin (son's car).

go to adam carolla's bogspot http://www.adamcarolla.com/CarCastBlog/2010/02/13/adams-miura/nggallery/page-2/
the story of his childhood dream goes from acquring a mura at auction for 300k and having bobileff restore the car and bringing it up to SV spec (clone). the miura might be the first series production lambo to be worth $1 mil in the near future. adam's car would probably be worth more if he put it back to original.

cages character in leaving las vegas foreshadowed his real life (when he pawns his submariner to feed his adiction) ...from what i heard, he lost a lot of his car collection to debt consolidation:(

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
We do have a somewhat silent member here who many know who is sporting an SLS AMG gullwing.
I saw the rag top version (yesterday on display)...black with red and black leather and carbon fiber. I was in love.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing