Slow Car Fast or Fast Car Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
When I got into my vehicle and drove away it sounded better "2012 ML63 AMG", exhaust note actually.

Attachments

• Vaughan-20120628-00088.jpg
    Vaughan-20120628-00088.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Vaughan-20120628-00087.jpg
    Vaughan-20120628-00087.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 717

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
sweet ride Dev...too bad you couldn't race me in my 2010 Cayenne GTS....:p (Laws suck...)

405 naturally aspirated bHp. Porsche's love to race Benz....;)

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
sweet ride Dev...too bad you couldn't race me in my 2010 Cayenne GTS....:p (Laws suck...)

405 naturally aspirated bHp. Porsche's love to race Benz....;)

Nice ride but not in the same league as my 63 @ 550 hp, I just got rid of a 2010 Porsch Turbo @ 500 hp

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thank-you. I was almost ready to post a picture of a monster truck.
I don't get it. High center of gravity, room for 6 and you guys have bragging rights?
Buy a real sports car, not a souped up mini-van. :)
(Dig the Porsche, sorry, I stopped looking at Benz after I got rid of my 69 6.3 litre. That's when Mercedes knew how to build a truck).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Dev,

Well you might get me...I had a Turbo before the GTS...while more rocket sled umph...not nearly as fun and refined as a nice direct injected naturally aspirated motor.

I'll put up my 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 at 425 bHp dynoed confirmed against your Benz beast anyday...Then again, the GT3 at 3,100 lbs. isn't a fair fight with an SUV...

Bruce LOL, you drive a rocket sled ?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Thank-you. I was almost ready to post a picture of a monster truck.
I don't get it. High center of gravity, room for 6 and you guys have bragging rights?
Buy a real sports car, not a souped up mini-van. :)
(Dig the Porsche, sorry, I stopped looking at Benz after I got rid of my 69 6.3 litre. That's when Mercedes knew how to build a truck).

Have you been in one? 2012, Porsch been there and done that. I have a few toys and also have appreciation for detail, saving up my pennies for this F458 Spider hardtop convertable

Attachments

• 2012-ferrari-458-spider-photo-420775-s-520x318[1].jpg
    2012-ferrari-458-spider-photo-420775-s-520x318[1].jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 429
  • 2012-ferrari-458-spider-photo-420779-s-520x318[1].jpg
    2012-ferrari-458-spider-photo-420779-s-520x318[1].jpg
    27 KB · Views: 429
  • 2012-ferrari-458-spider-photo-420800-s-520x318[1].jpg
    2012-ferrari-458-spider-photo-420800-s-520x318[1].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 430

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev,

Well you might get me...I had a Turbo before the GTS...while more rocket sled umph...not nearly as fun and refined as a nice direct injected naturally aspirated motor.

I'll put up my 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 at 425 bHp dynoed confirmed against your Benz beast anyday...Then again, the GT3 at 3,100 lbs. isn't a fair fight with an SUV...

Bruce LOL, you drive a rocket sled ?

Very nice indeed, I see you are into tracking, do you actually race? I'll smoke you in a straight run with my ML63 never mind see below my pic, not too sure about the track though but would enjoy giving it a go. Just to be sure I think I would take out my son's done up Mini cooper S and just embarass you on the track like I have see done to others so many times. :) Porsche are a dime a dozen where I live, been there and done that. :) I owned a Carrera GT

Attachments

• 2006-bugatti-veyron-targa-florio-f-salt-flats-1280x960[1].jpg
    2006-bugatti-veyron-targa-florio-f-salt-flats-1280x960[1].jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 419

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Too bad we have no ex-SR-71 pilots on WBF. They'd own us all. Well unless those two Billionaires doing their private space race thing join the forum anyway.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Have you been in one? 2012, Porsch been there and done that. I have a few toys and also have appreciation for detail, saving up my pennies for this F458 Spider hardtop convertable
I like sports cars, not much on trucks. Had 6 ferraris. New ones bore me, although in a perverse way, i like the 4 wheel drive one that looks like the old bread van. Had a Porsche GT 2, set up as a club sport. Fast, uncomfortable with all the racing crap installed. Had a 6.0 Diablo. Gorgeous, beautiful motor, virtually unuseable except for autobahn cruising. Re Mercedes, I liked my 1969 6.3 liter 300SEL, had that back in 73-5, when i was a kid.
Took a liking to pre-war cars. Now, more into that era- both because of the intrinsic beauty and quality as well as the visceral nature of the drive at less than breakneck speeds.
If you want, look up 550 Barchetta in Road and Track. That was one of my cars. And i still have pretty good relations in the Ferrari community, where i was active for a number of years. If you have never owned a brand new Ferrari, it is alot of fun. But, i'm also not much on paddle shifters. I'd buy a restored 246 Dino and never look back.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
OK guys, this is just plain childish with "mine is bigger than yours"

Now let's stay on topic. If you want to show pix of your muscle cars, start a new thread. There are many members here with cars that make the above photos seem ordinary ;)

DEV, you need to take a humility pill IMHO

There are plenty of guys here who have cars that will destroy everything you have shown above. Difference is they know humbleness and don't need to flaunt it to gain notoriety as you seem to.

Enough said. If you want to discuss it, start another thread.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
OK guys, this is just plain childish with "mine is bigger than yours"

Now let's stay on topic. If you want to show pix of your muscle cars, start a new thread. There are many members here with cars that make the above photos seem ordinary ;)

DEV, you need to take a humility pill IMHO

There are plenty of guys here who have cars that will destroy everything you have shown above. Difference is they know humbleness and don't need to flaunt it to gain notoriety as you seem to.

Enough said. If you want to discuss it, start another thread.
Steve, can you shift all the car posts here to another thread- call it 'horsepower wars' or something? I'm not dumping on anybody here, just having a little fun, and sharing my perspective.

Steve Williams

When you start the thread, I will move things over. BTW, Bill my retort wasn't aimed at you. IMO you were giving an honest answer when you were challenged about your knowledge of muscle cars. I thought your answer established far more credibility than that of the challenger

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
This is meant to pick up where we left off, in the Big Speaker comparsion thread, and I'll preface this by saying that, after having had a number of more modern high performance cars, I'm personally more interested in older cars. They have greater limitations (oh, some of them can haul ass, not doubt, if you've ever seen the vintage cars race on a track), but given modern life and current rules of the road, it is almost impossible to enjoy an uber car on the streets without risking lives, jail and the like. So, the proposition, an admittedly well-worn one, is this: isn't it more fun to drive a slower, older car closer to its limits, than to slog in a 200 mph car, knowing that you might find a deserted stretch of road somewhere, where you could put on a burst of speed?
Add to that, my view, subject to challenge, of course, but after you've clocked crazy speeds a few times, it's really not that interesting. Yes, I suppose it might be fun to see how scary it is at a speed where you know if a tire blows, you're toast. But, carving the twisties, climbing narrow mountain passes in a small, agile car, getting a feel for the road (which more modern cars, with all their electronic gizmos can only replicate in the same way a video game does) is absolutely thrilling in a way that sheer speed, at least to me, is not.
Discuss?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Steve Williams

This is meant to pick up where we left off, in the Big Speaker comparsion thread, and I'll preface this by saying that, after having had a number of more modern high performance cars, I'm personally more interested in older cars. They have greater limitations (oh, some of them can haul ass, not doubt, if you've ever seen the vintage cars race on a track), but given modern life and current rules of the road, it is almost impossible to enjoy an uber car on the streets without risking lives, jail and the like. So, the proposition, an admittedly well-worn one, is this: isn't it more fun to drive a slower, older car closer to its limits, than to slog in a 200 mph car, knowing that you might find a deserted stretch of road somewhere, where you could put on a burst of speed?
Add to that, my view, subject to challenge, of course, but after you've clocked crazy speeds a few times, it's really not that interesting. Yes, I suppose it might be fun to see how scary it is at a speed where you know if a tire blows, you're toast. But, carving the twisties, climbing narrow mountain passes in a small, agile car, getting a feel for the road (which more modern cars, with all their electronic gizmos can only replicate in the same way a video game does) is absolutely thrilling in a way that sheer speed, at least to me, is not.
Discuss?

Bill

I completely agree with you.

I would also go so far as saying that most of us here with fast cars, myself included have had no training whatsoever in handling these performance cars. I too have an AMG which has over 500bhp but so what. My son is always challenging me to "hit it" but after you have done it a few times, it simply doesn't interest me as much as the overall performance of the car itself

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Very nice indeed, I see you are into tracking, do you actually race? I'll smoke you in a straight run with my ML63 never mind see below my pic, not too sure about the track though but would enjoy giving it a go. Just to be sure I think I would take out my son's done up Mini cooper S and just embarass you on the track like I have see done to others so many times. :) Porsche are a dime a dozen where I live, been there and done that. :) I owned a Carrera GT

Carrera GT ? My favorite car bar none. The Italian jobs don't work for me...I'm 6'7" and really can't fit, which is a shame. Yes I do track it in DE Events...rules about passing, different skill level groups ect. Tracked most at Limerock Raceway Park in, CT and Watkin's Glen, NY (US). In any event, that is where I enjoy the car most...At the track.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I used to ride sports bikes. The "little" CBR 400 I had in 1991 was fast enough for me. Sure an FZR-1000 passed me like I was standing still headed up Silang Pass but I didn't much care since my balls were already in my throat going a measly 140Mph when T-shirst read "Life Begins at 180". I drive the same car as Steve's son. A C63 AMG but the european version with a P31 chip set. I have never brought it anywhere near its limits simply because I know I don't have the skill to. While I love looking at super cars I know I'll never buy one even if I could afford it. It's just not me. What I DO fantasize about is getting an MX-5 and joining the car club races at Batangas Race Circuit. I suppose that puts me in Whart's camp.

My boss is one of the world's biggest collectors of Ferraris, Porsches, RRs and MBs. Kinda cool being able to see a Barchetta, an original Gull Wing and many many others up close. One day I asked him what his favorite was. He said, "son, in the end these (including the planes) are nothing more than pats on the back for all the hard work done." Not only that, he said all he really needs is a good air-conditioner and a decent stereo. That stuck with me. Just one toy car at a time for me. That's all I feel I've earned the right to. :D

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I drove the Targa Florio a few years ago (I'm not even sure if it is running these days, sort of typical Italian administrative complexities and warring factions) in a TOTAL piece of **** 50's Triumph. The car had a classically bad electrical system and broke down constantly. (At the time, I think I had the Diablo 6.0 in the garage at home). The car was completely squirrely on the wet cobblestones climbing Mt.Pelligrino, and had no real speed. The lighting was like candles at night. But, i was about five inches off the ground, with the door cut-outs i could palm the pavement as i drove- and the route was all B- and C roads, through the mountains. With the largish steering wheel, a horrible shifter and no real power, you pretty much drove it flat out to keep up. It was a ball. I ran a 20's British car that I had restored for a while, and right hand drive, cable brakes and no real grip using huge wire wheels made it a challenge to drive at 50 mph. Maybe I'm just getting old. I'd still like to own a period Bentley red label 3 with a 4.5 litre motor. Those cars were the hot-rods of their day and are still run competitively, in their class, with amazing results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing