Skiers are as bad as us

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am not into watching ski competition but one was on right now. I was amazed how the best and (nearly) the worst in downhill skiing were separated by half a second! So next time someone complains about how much more money it takes to get the next incremental quality in audio, I can tell them to go and watch downhill skiing!!! :D

I was amazed at the commentary about one guy who came in 0.4 seconds too slow. "He should spend more time in the wind tunnel." Wind tunnel? Man, this stuff is high-tech these days....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I will tell you another area that the ski industry is miles ahead of the audio industry and that is marketing. If you ski, every year you need all new gear because everything has improved since last year. New skis, boots, bindings, and poles have to be bought if you want to improve as skier. And the ski clothes you had last year are now out of style as well.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I will tell you another area that the ski industry is miles ahead of the audio industry and that is marketing. If you ski, every year you need all new gear because everything has improved since last year. New skis, boots, bindings, and poles have to be bought if you want to improve as skier. And the ski clothes you had last year are now out of style as well.

It doesn't hold a candle to the "high end" and won't until the most well-heeled skiers are convinced that these are absolutely superior....

...even as they are getting to the bottom of the slope 4 seconds later. :)

Tim

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
I am not into watching ski competition but one was on right now. I was amazed how the best and (nearly) the worst in downhill skiing were separated by half a second! So next time someone complains about how much more money it takes to get the next incremental quality in audio, I can tell them to go and watch downhill skiing!!! :D

I was amazed at the commentary about one guy who came in 0.4 seconds too slow. "He should spend more time in the wind tunnel." Wind tunnel? Man, this stuff is high-tech these days....

But is it as contentious?

As a very avid skier who was first put on skis at age 5, I would agree it's a very interesting comparison.

The technology in skiing has come a very long way, especially in World Cup racing. In many other ways though it is a very interesting sport/industry to follow. Unlike in golf and other competitive sports, enthusiasts aren't out to beat a friend. Other than those just trying to show off with the shiniest new gear, ski gear and equipment is all about enjoyment, comfort and excitement. Also quite interesting is the myriad of targets for just a set of skis. There are all types of skis with all sorts of strengths and personalities. These are carefully designed into the skis and the designers know what they are after with each shape, material and dimension. Another interesting parallel is that the un-initiated and less skilled will have a hard time distinguishing between some of the more subtle differences between skis.

Another parallel I have watched closely is the surge in smaller, more boutique manufacturers, many selling direct on the internet with sales driven by forums and general social networking. When you want a ski that really fits your use, especially on the more adventurous end of the spectrum, these companies are often where you can find the most interesting and unique tools.

If I happen to disappear from audio, you will almost certainly find me near a major ski resort. :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As an avid Golfer, I must admit beating someone else is a helluva lot of fun but beating one's personal best is the real challenge, a challenge that is far more mental than physical.

Now there's another industry fighting for every last increase in distance and control in pursuit of that ever lower score. What it isn't is contentious. Like what Mark mentions about skiing, everybody is encouraged to customize their gear for their particular tendencies. Everybody is even encouraged to model their swings in a way appropriate for physique and temperament. In golf nobody thumbs their nose at you for using a 30 year old Bullseye putter or a brand-spanking new one that looks like it came off the set of a sci-fi flick if you get the ball in the hole with it. Even if you can't all you have to say is "well, I like the feel of it". You can even elect to play the equivalent of the bunny slope if you like but like skiing you're seldom allowed to play the tips unless you can demonstrate you've got game.

The downside is that there's a whole lot of snake-oil and quack tweaks too!!!!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing