Shunyata CupperCon Outlets

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Anyone who owns a Shunyata product knows that they take a while to achieve their best, frequently a month. About two months ago I received my Triton V2 and some new Shunyata power cords and signal cords and started my one by one insertion into my system. While there are instantly obvious differences, you cannot fully appreciate the full potential for weeks.

In the name of trying to be objective, I usually insert only one new product at a time and wait for it to stabilize before inserting the next. This way i have some sense of each of their contributions to the total end sound. This means some new components spend a lot of time in the on deck circle.

Today, I moved the CupperCon Outlets from the on deck circle and into the system. I inserted my most recent new Shunyata components, CupperCon Outlets where I formerly had Shunyata three SR-Z1 outlets. These are the same outlets that are part of the difference between a Triton V1 and Triton V2. When I was at Shunyata in April, Caelin said to me that he would send me some so that I could fully appreciate their contribution to the vast difference between a Triton V1 and V2. He then smirked and said I should be astounded by the resultant changes just by inserting these outlets.

I have found Caelin to be repeatedly prone to understatement. But, this time he outdid himself. Inserting three of these outlets into three 20 amp circuits with dedicated grounds meant that my entire system flows through these amazing outlets, including my Spectral amp and JL F-113's which plug directly into the wall. The Triton V2 has its own with the Typhon feeding the circuits for the amp and woofs.

Since this report comes only 10 hours after insertion, I will be brief because experience tells me I have no idea what is coming during the next several weeks. What I do know is that I heard about 40-50% of the changes that I heard when I upgraded the Triton to a V2, with much deeper bass with more authority, better percusion and much more realistic and musical sounds throughout. The imaging is already much deeper front and back, like an additional 30%, and scary better vertically.

I know I am not doing the outlets justice, but then I have not yet heard what they can do because it is too soon.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Nice. I can't wait to be able to replace my three ZR-71 outlets with the CopperConn, and maybe the two in the HT.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone who owns a Shunyata product knows that they take a while to achieve their best, frequently a month. About two months ago I received my Triton V2 and some new Shunyata power cords and signal cords and started my one by one insertion into my system. While there are instantly obvious differences, you cannot fully appreciate the full potential for weeks.

In the name of trying to be objective, I usually insert only one new product at a time and wait for it to stabilize before inserting the next. This way i have some sense of each of their contributions to the total end sound. This means some new components spend a lot of time in the on deck circle.

Today, I moved the CupperCon Outlets from the on deck circle and into the system. I inserted my most recent new Shunyata components, CupperCon Outlets where I formerly had Shunyata three SR-Z1 outlets. These are the same outlets that are part of the difference between a Triton V1 and Triton V2. When I was at Shunyata in April, Caelin said to me that he would send me some so that I could fully appreciate their contribution to the vast difference between a Triton V1 and V2. He then smirked and said I should be astounded by the resultant changes just by inserting these outlets.

I have found Caelin to be repeatedly prone to understatement. But, this time he outdid himself. Inserting three of these outlets into three 20 amp circuits with dedicated grounds meant that my entire system flows through these amazing outlets, including my Spectral amp and JL F-113's which plug directly into the wall. The Triton V2 has its own with the Typhon feeding the circuits for the amp and woofs.

Since this report comes only 10 hours after insertion, I will be brief because experience tells me I have no idea what is coming during the next several weeks. What I do know is that I heard about 40-50% of the changes that I heard when I upgraded the Triton to a V2, with much deeper bass with more authority, better percusion and much more realistic and musical sounds throughout. The imaging is already much deeper front and back, like an additional 30%, and scary better vertically.

I know I am not doing the outlets justice, but then I have not yet heard what they can do because it is too soon.

I never liked the SR-Z1s... so you are praising the new outlets, or are the old ones really not that good.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I never liked the SR-Z1s... so you are praising the new outlets, or are the old ones really not that good.

These are that special. You can hear a lot of the benefit of the Triton V2 enhanced in the same way with the addition of these outlets.

I was never that impressed with the SR Z!, but I am blown away by these.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was never that impressed with the SR Z!, but I am blown away by these.

You may be strengthening my point (sorry, I meant to ask originally: so ARE you really praising the new outlets, or you perhaps simply confirming the old ones were not that good]... that perhaps part of this improvement is because the older outlets were not that good to begin with, in which case, it begs the next question: compared to other more advanced outlets than the SR-Z1, how does the CopperCon compare. Will they be as good or even better? But I do realize you may not have such reference data.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
As simply as I can put it, if you understand the sonic difference of a Triton V1 compared to a V2 in all dimensions, these outlets give you about another 30-40% of that same qualitative mix. The SR-Z1 was only marginally better than a standard Hubbell outlet.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Good to know, thanks. The Triton V2 sounds intriguing, and I can also turn a blind eye to this spec "Peak instantaneous current: >200 Amps @ 8.33ms", which isn't bad.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Peter

The difference between the V1 and the V2 is far from subtle. As Philip O'Hanlon commented about his experience with both and said he was "gobsmacked" at the difference in the V2. My comment to Caelin was how he could make a product better where everyone who owned the V1 felt it was perfect to begin with. It really is that good and the copper conn outlets are far superior to what was used before.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
On the phone with MusicDirect to see what can be done to feed the addiction :D

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
The only better value for my system than converting the Triton V1 to a V2 was the installation of the CupperCon outlets, which seems to be around 30-40% of the qualitative change of the V1 to V2. The combination is incredible.

Last night i added Vivid G3's to the mix and it was perspective shifting and just beginning, but value is harder to justify at their price point.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Russ, Do the Coppercon outlets provide for an isolated ground?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
As far as I can tell the CupperCon's do have an isolated ground although it would be better to call Shunyata to be sure, but considering there are 4 of them in the new Triton V2 and the also have a grounding section, I am virtually sure that their ground is isolated.

The projected cost as of two months ago was $300, but they have not been released as a separate item yet despite the fact that they are in use the in the conditioners.

I know I am repeating myself when I say I replaced the Shunyata SR-Z1's with these and just was not prepared for the nature of the change and the magnitude of the change. Qualitatively, it is so similar to the very significant sound change going from a Triton V1 to a V2. Quantitatively, I would say they gave me another 30-40% of what I already was in love with.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Dear Russ, Do the Coppercon outlets provide for an isolated ground?

Hi Ron

You should not need an isolated ground in a residential setting. Isolated ground was designed for commercial installations where there was a chance of the conduit (grounded to earth) touching a framing member made of steel or pipe or I-beam, and hence creating a ground loop.

Zero need for this in most residential settings, since we are all wooden frame stick built houses over here, and conduit is seldom used.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
At $300 these outlets better be definitively the best.....

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
While most residential settings use Romex® or plastic conduit, some areas use EMT (think Chicago) or flexible metal conduit or metal building framing. So in those cases, an isolated ground could be useful. But it's very easy to mis-wire an isolated ground system and in commercial setting they are hard to maintain over a long period of time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing