SFP/FMC/Optical cable - The only important ethernet cable?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
As you stated the Startech was very hard edged and not enjoye, but to another it maybe just their cup of tea.
Unless one compares it to something better, one cannot possibly know how much harm it’s doing. Logic also dictates that an item purposefully built to delight audiophiles should outperform one designed by engineers who never sought to delight audiophiles.

The OM is actually a simple device. It differs from commercial products in that there is additional circuitry that aims to reduce noise. I think I recall Swenson mentioning use of carefully selected regulators to achieve that. We are fortunate to have this product available to us.

I know I will never find perfection however I am willing to subject myself to that elusive search. Just right now I am content, this may change in week, a month or a year. That is why I am here searching for knowledge and what is working for some.
Amen to that.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

wackerd

Jul 28, 2023
There is simply no mechanism by which noise can be transferred over an optical cable.

Noise is transferred over electrical connections and no such connection exists using optical. Fiber will kill any noise being transmitted with the data which contains the digitised music.

If this this the case, than the only important ethernet cable would be from FMC to DAC/Streamer - the rest can be "simple" CAT6 U/UTP (see below illustration).

What are you thoughts about that?

Torben

View attachment 113154
Great post. I also bought some basic equipment (70 Euros) to use a new fiber optic connection from my router directly to the streamer. So I have almost the same structure as you. Coming from a Fritzbox via an Ethernet cable, then using two media converters and going into the streamer via an Ethernet cable.

Power is supplied via a Ferrum Hypsos device. I wonder what Telegaertner and others do differently when they offer very expensive opto isolators. Must ultimately be the same technology. It's also not clear to me if reclocking is necessary when using a switch like Telegaertner or SOtM. My optical setup does not have a reclocker. Finally, the music streamer and/or DAC clocks the bitstream. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

wackerd

Jul 28, 2023
When I compared my low cost (70 Euros) fiber isolation between router and streamer with the same music record taken from the SSD inside the streamer I could not find any difference in sound between both. I conclude that any noise coming from ethernet disappeared totally. But I ask why is a Telegaertner opto isolation (2700 Euros) or others so expensive? What are they doing in addition for soundquality, or is it just marketing and typical high price high-end? Any ideas?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing