Ethernet tweak

Republicoftexas69

Thanks a lot @Republicoftexas69 as I’m now leaning towards this over the afterdark options. Is there a reason you had to change sfp? This is an area that really confuses me with the options / best sound. When I contacted teradak the following was suggested to connect to my sotm switch. Any views on this over the Cisco SFP-10G-AOC?

https://www.fs.com/uk/products/20363.html
x2 units,
https://www.fs.com/uk/products/17235.html
Cable Choose:
A and B: LC UPC
3.0mm
They are fine suggestions and you will be good to go. Cheers.

Reactions: Abrad

Abrad

Jun 4, 2023
I have now had the teradak t212 in place between my switch and streaming amp and am shocked how much clearer, musical and open the sound has become. I went for the oxco version as well and the cisco aoc sfp/cable and even after about 24 hours of use it is an impressive improvement and cost effective. Thanks to everyone on various threads that helped me on this initially confusing journey

Reactions: InfigoAudio

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
I have now had the teradak t212 in place between my switch and streaming amp and am shocked how much clearer, musical and open the sound has become.

What did you use before?

Torben

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
I'm after some 'details' advice please.

I have a Cisco 2960 switch with audiophool.nl mods (added an oxco clock, and SMPS power supply removed).

Looking to buy a TeraDak T-S211 next.
What optical cable would I need from the Teradak to the switch? SC to SC, or SC to LC.

Are there better optical cables to buy for this setup?

Last edited:

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
I'm after some 'details' advice please.

I have a Cisco 2960 switch with audiophool.nl mods (added an oxco clock and SMPS power supply removed).

Looking to buy a TeraDak T-S211 next.
What optical cable would I need from the Teradak to the switch? SC to SC, or SC to LC.

Are there better optical cables to buy for this setup?

If you want to use single mode SFP with your Cisco 2960 switch than go for Garde B:

Grade B Duplex OS2 Single Mode - B.jpg

Torben

Reactions: jerrybj

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
I can't seem to connect the dots here.

My setup is Router -> Switch -> Server/Streamer connected via Ethernet.

The switch is a Netgear GC510P which has SFP ports, do I connect Switch -> SFP -> TeraDak -> Ethernet -> Server/Streamer?

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

I can't seem to connect the dots here.

My setup is Router -> Switch -> Server/Streamer connected via Ethernet.

The switch is a Netgear GC510P which has SFP ports, do I connect Switch -> SFP -> TeraDak -> Ethernet -> Server/Streamer?
Yep.

Reactions: harsheel_dbs

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
Wondering if the Teradak T S211 or 212 would be able to go before the switch?
Or it better between the switch and streamer?

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
Also, I have a couple of LAN Isolators (Pink Faun, Acoustic Revive).
Eventually considering something like a Network Acoustics Eno.

Are these still of any use, if using a TeraDak T-S211 at the end of the Ethernet chain?

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020

Republicoftexas69

Excellent! do I just need a fiber cable or something like a Finisar SFP module in addition to a fiber cable?
Yes. There are various recommendations here at WBF on media converters and fiber.

Reactions: harsheel_dbs

branokantor

Apr 30, 2023
teradak schema.jpg

Hello everyone,

**ASK FOR ADVICE**

Firstly:
this is a very good thread and I'm glad I discovered it :)

I have no experience with signal conversion yet, so I think the questions may be a bit primitive.
Please be patient, thank you :)

1. I would like to ask whether the wiring and diagram I drew will work in principle.

2. What optical converter is needed on the "dirty" side? Will an ordinary industrial converter at a price of €20-40 suffice? Or is some "audio" optical converter with low noise and latency necessary?

3. Which optical cables to connect the converter and Teradak so that it works? I do not understand the numbers and data regarding optical cables at all.

Thanks for any advice.

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
At first glance, your diagram looks like a good starting point.
In my experience equipment at the 'dirty' side is less influential on sound quality so you can generally get away with more ordinary stuff.
When choosing the Teradak 212 SFP version your cables need to be chosen along with the SFP you choose to use with it. This also affects the choice of converter at the 'dirty' side, because they need to play together...

Cheers, Hans.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing