SET amp owners thread

Will do. They are 110 cm from the front wall and the left speaker 120 cm from the left wall. (All measured from center/front of drivers) I am planning of moving them 50 cm away from the left wall but I am unable to move them much more out from the front wall because of the listening position being stuck. The sofa can’t move further aft as you can se in the pic.

View attachment 114860
Lovely setup!

Reactions: crosswind
Will do. They are 110 cm from the front wall and the left speaker 120 cm from the left wall. (All measured from center/front of drivers) I am planning of moving them 50 cm away from the left wall but I am unable to move them much more out from the front wall because of the listening position being stuck. The sofa can’t move further aft as you can se in the pic.

View attachment 114860
What TT are you using ?

Both Hørning OPTs are now in place and the stock OPTs are history. It´s been a productive day.

Picture of the first finnished amp with the Hørning opt under the dark red cover side by side with the standard amp.

IMG_1623.jpeg

which arm do you prefer
Difficult question all the time I haven’t tried all the carts on all arms but I used to have the Kuzma 4point and prefer the 3P over the 4point. The FR64S came in as my Koetsu did not work in any other (lighter) arm and it was first when I got a fairly heavy arm the Kortsu started to sing. I bought a B-60 from Leif and got a heavy Micro Seiki armboard for it and it excelled. It performed even better when Leif got me a heavy bronze nut. So mass on the FR64s with the Koetsu is a winning concept.

I used to have a Transfiguration Phoenix S on the Odin. It did not do it for me. A bit lifeless and dull, so the The Frog took its place. Works better and was all the time intended to be an every day allrounder.

They are all different arms obviously but the Reed is just musical and a fantastic arm. If I had to keep just one, I would probably keep the the 3P.

Kondo souga 2a3 Vs Kondo Gakuoh mk2 300b (new WE) Vs Kondo Kagura (RCA 211).

More details in a few days

CBC13518-F905-43CA-A374-D60A591DABDC.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph
49327D8B-80D2-424D-A5C1-90BC33805E55.jpeg1309E40B-7DB2-408B-B692-34DDE244E724.jpegD5C4101D-BFC4-4233-970A-4C0C0B4088AB.jpegC151CA52-2603-485E-852B-2C12DB171C6A.jpeg715A8059-4505-4D58-A8F3-69C160A1BA50.jpeg
Intensive weekend of listening with the Silvercore amp on the Horning speakers. Had several friends over last two weekends to join me (Acousticsguru, Christoph, Phonatix, and others not on WBF). Just did a lot of tube rolling of rectifiers and so far the three best that I own are the following:
1945 RCA 5R4GY Blackplate
Marconi (Canada) Blackplate 5U4G (not sure the year)
1955 Valvo metal base GZ34

Interestingly, the plate structure of the RCA and Marconi are VERY similar, despite being to different types of rectifiers. They are more similar visually than to other 5U4Gs. Sonically, they are much more similar to each other than the GZ34.
Will give a detailed analysis in due course…

I always snub mine according to the work done by John Swenson. Cap + resistor across secondary.
Good!! You may notice that the value of the cap and resistor network required varies according to the tube. I imagine this aspect would make it really hard to actually know how the rectifier 'sounds' without adjusting these values. I also suspect that not getting this right might be why some amps have a bit of buzz in their noise floor. I also suspect that most people attribute that to something else.

I'm working on a 300b or UX-250 design for fun; this is one thing I'll be examining.

Reactions: Solypsa
Basically, there are two factors in the low noise in tube rectifiers. 1. the resistance of the secondary winding of the mains transformer and the size of the charging capacitor(C) after the tube. the recommended resistance of the secondary winding(Rt red marked) is given in the data sheet of the tube rectifier.
Exsample20230814_190942.jpg

if the transformer has a lower impedance than recommended, charging current peaks can occur even if the charging capacitor size is observed. you know this hum.
In the worst case, it is a transformer with too little resistance and too large a charging capacitor. If you're not sure what the value of the transformer winding is, downsize a 60uf to 47uf charging capacitor. This does not affect the purity of the DC voltage with CLC filtering.
oh one more thing, tube rolling at this point with equal types is the worst thing you can do. it can go well or cause frustration and costs.

P.S
if you have a case, you can put a series resistor between the rectifier and the charging capacitor. please pay attention to the load capacity of the resistor P= U×I

Basically, there are two factors in the low noise in tube rectifiers. 1. the resistance of the secondary winding of the mains transformer and the size of the charging capacitor(C) after the tube. the recommended resistance of the secondary winding(Rt red marked) is given in the data sheet of the tube rectifier.
ExsampleView attachment 115014

if the transformer has a lower impedance than recommended, charging current peaks can occur even if the charging capacitor size is observed. you know this hum.
In the worst case, it is a transformer with too little resistance and too large a charging capacitor. If you're not sure what the value of the transformer winding is, downsize a 60uf to 47uf charging capacitor. This does not affect the purity of the DC voltage with CLC filtering.
oh one more thing, tube rolling at this point with equal types is the worst thing you can do. it can go well or cause frustration and costs.

P.S
if you have a case, you can put a series resistor between the rectifier and the charging capacitor. please pay attention to the load capacity of the resistor P= U×I
My amp has 20uF cap. No worries... Plus I checked with the designer...5u4g, 5r4gy and 5ar4 should all work safely.

My amp has 20uF cap. No worries... Plus I checked with the designer...5u4g, 5r4gy and 5ar4 should all work safely.
Depending on the B+ that's about all the current inrush those tubes can handle anyway. But the greater that input cap can be, the less amplitude the resulting sawtooth waveform will have. That is why I'm thinking that HEXFREDs can be a step forward since you can build a lower noise supply.

Reactions: Ampexed
View attachment 115000View attachment 115002View attachment 115003View attachment 115004View attachment 115006
Intensive weekend of listening with the Silvercore amp on the Horning speakers. Had several friends over last two weekends to join me (Acousticsguru, Christoph, Phonatix, and others not on WBF). Just did a lot of tube rolling of rectifiers and so far the three best that I own are the following:
1945 RCA 5R4GY Blackplate
Marconi (Canada) Blackplate 5U4G (not sure the year)
1955 Valvo metal base GZ34

Interestingly, the plate structure of the RCA and Marconi are VERY similar, despite being to different types of rectifiers. They are more similar visually than to other 5U4Gs. Sonically, they are much more similar to each other than the GZ34.
Will give a detailed analysis in due course…
Both my SET amps use 5U4G/GZ34 tubes as rectifiers. I’ve only used new Russian tubes but would like to tube roll. How much are the RCA’s?

Try this in christofs amp made by mullard blackburn

Last edited:
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob
Both my SET amps use 5U4G/GZ34 tubes as rectifiers. I’ve only used new Russian tubes but would like to tube roll. How much are the RCA’s?
I think I paid 85 each for them…but they are 5r4gys. My good 5u4g is Marconi. A metal base GZ34 is also awesome

Try this in christofs amp made by mullard blackburn
Looks nice

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing