Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Marty, the main thing I like is the liquidity and the weight. The SS width is fine for me and as I use Heil open driver speakers, i have all the air and spaciousness I can manage. Having said that, with Christophs Horns and AL's IRS-Vs, there was no shortage of hologoraphy either.

In contrast to the dry Yggy, I find my Lampi to have a "wet", natural sound.
I am not the poetic type, so cant explain much better than that

Sounds like the differences we typically hear between solid state and tubes.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I use a SS integrated amp and you see my speakers.

Which probably makes the Lampi a great match. If I had solid state electronics I imagine the Lampi would be very synergistic - at least for my tastes.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Which probably makes the Lampi a great match. If I had solid state electronics I imagine the Lampi would be very synergistic - at least for my tastes.

Probably correct. Though there are those who love the all tube complement...and in some cases I guess it could even suit me, but I like the best of both world setup, complemented by the open baffle dipole speed of the beguiling Heil driver. Heil does piano and voice like few others, likely due to the Air Velocity transformer tech.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Probably correct. Though there are those who love the all tube complement...and in some cases I guess it could even suit me, but I like the best of both world setup, complemented by the open baffle dipole speed of the beguiling Heil driver. Heil does piano and voice like few others, likely due to the Air Velocity transformer tech.

I bet it sounds great!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Sorry, it sounds better with tubes. In fact, once you have tubes, Lampi synergises more with a valve pre. If you are expecting a tube sound that's not what it's about. It will be more aggressive, and have more drive than your SS dac. Yes the tube 3d stage and valve tone and decay can be added depending on the valve, with 242 match the noise floor will drop and it will be totally transparent, each notr having more grip. The tuttis will scale more and each instrument will be better delineated and have its own space and distinct tone. The synergy is more with the gain match of the pre and the valve of the Lampi

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I have thoroughly enjoyed getting reacquainted with the Yggy the past two evenings. If I only listened to PCM material I think I could be happy with it. My system has matured to the point I enjoy rediscovering material through the filters of a "different" DAC. I guess that's why I have so many of them. Such a fun and expensive hobby we enjoy.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have thoroughly enjoyed getting reacquainted with the Yggy the past two evenings. If I only listened to PCM material I think I could be happy with it. My system has matured to the point I enjoy rediscovering material through the filters of a "different" DAC. I guess that's why I have so many of them. Such a fun and expensive hobby we enjoy.

Great to hear, Marty. I do listen exclusively to PCM, so no issues there for me. What did you like about the Yggy's presentation?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sorry, it sounds better with tubes. In fact, once you have tubes, Lampi synergises more with a valve pre. If you are expecting a tube sound that's not what it's about. It will be more aggressive, and have more drive than your SS dac.

(Emphasis added.)

Did you perform a direct comparison that would allow for such a statement?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
(Emphasis added.)

I never post without direct comparisons. I don't do "I heard an electronic item in one system, another one in another system, and I can judge because I have golden ears." Never.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
(Emphasis added.)

Bonzo travels the world doing head to head comparisons.

Many are reported on his zero-distortion.com site

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Good to hear. Can you give me a list of all those Dacs you have, please?

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Al to me the Yggy adds more substance to the music, definitely seems to get the tonality and textures more right. It has a richness to the presentation that is very pleasing. It is an enjoyable DAC to listen to in my system.

Great to hear, Marty. I do listen exclusively to PCM, so no issues there for me. What did you like about the Yggy's presentation?

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
T&A DAC8, Bryston BDA 3, Schiit Gungnir multi bit, Gustard X20 and X20pro, Line Magnetic LM 502CA. Nothing world class but all good in their own right. I also have the following incoming. Kitsune tuned edition Holo Spring, Oppo Sonica, LKS MH-DA004

My name is Marty, I am a dacaholic.

Good to hear. Can you give me a list of all those Dacs you have, please?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
T&A DAC8, Bryston BDA 3, Schiit Gungnir multi bit, Gustard X20 and X20pro, Line Magnetic LM 502CA. Nothing world class but all good in their own right. I also have the following incoming. Kitsune tuned edition Holo Spring, Oppo Sonica, LKS MH-DA004

LoL
Very funny Marty.
I was getting that way at one point too.

Of the lot you have there, I would have figured that the Yggy would be among the top of the charts too.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

A Dacaholic indeed, lol!
Marty, can you elaborate a little as to how you feel the sound of the Yggy differs from the Bryston BDA3. I have heard the BDA3 and thought it was very good.
Thanks.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al to me the Yggy adds more substance to the music, definitely seems to get the tonality and textures more right. It has a richness to the presentation that is very pleasing. It is an enjoyable DAC to listen to in my system.

Thanks for the description, Marty.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
FYI, I just finished testing of their Modi 2 DAC ($99) and once again it is a disappointment: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/

Al, do you want to send your unit to me to measure? I really like to see one measurement that shows good performance from Schiit. What I have tested so far, lives up to the pronunciation of their name.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
FYI, I just finished testing of their Modi 2 DAC ($99) and once again it is a disappointment: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/

Al, do you want to send your unit to me to measure? I really like to see one measurement that shows good performance from Schiit. What I have tested so far, lives up to the pronunciation of their name.

Amir, a question....did you actually listen to the Modi 2 DAC or did you only put it on your scope?

If you did listen, what ancillary gear did you listen to it with? Photos of the set-up would be great. :D

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Amir this looks like a pile of Schiit.

I will ship you my Gungnir Multibit to test if it comes back as it left.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing