Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Al I will be very objective in my description of each DAC I compare the Yggy to. No overblown adjectives like "kill" or "slay" will be used.

Thanks, but if you don't like it please be specific as to why. We've had enough claims on this forum that certain components 'kill' or 'slay' others without any justification for that opinion -- which suggests that they are just merely a personal preference, rather than actually being better by objective standards. I am not sure if I will agree with what Robert Harley says in his review (see top of page 14), but at least he is very specific in his observations and his reasons as to why he thinks the Yggy is a superior DAC.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al I will be very objective in my description of each DAC I compare the Yggy to. No overblown adjectives like "kill" or "slay" will be used.

Thanks, Marty.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Very interested in reading your impressions/review. Will you be comparing it to your current DAC?

Sure. Turns out my current Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC is much better than I thought, resolution of timbral detail is on a fantastic level after cleaning contacts in my system with DeOxit and getting a new interconnect, and tone is now mostly excellent as well -- and bass is killer even more than before, after getting new amp stands; only sore point (to a lesser extent than before) remains the tone of tenor and baritone sax. So I am not sure how much better it will get. We'll see. Maybe I'll get blown away, maybe not.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sure. Turns out my current Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC is much better than I thought, resolution of timbral detail is on a fantastic level after cleaning contacts in my system with DeOxit and getting a new interconnect, and tone is now mostly excellent as well -- and bass is killer even more than before, after getting new amp stands; only sore point (to a lesser extent than before) remains the tone of tenor and baritone sax. So I am not sure how much better it will get. We'll see. Maybe I'll get blown away, maybe not.

Haven't tweaked my system or using any special iIC ... I am waiting for your evaluation concerning the Schiit DAC and eventually an audition since Schitt has 15-day audition window. In the here and now when prejudices and the notion of "Price CLass" are pushed aside ( difficult , I know) the Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC remains one of the best I have heard and in our warped High End Audio universe, a bargain (oops I said it and may edit it :D)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Haven't tweaked my system or using any special iIC ... I am waiting for your evaluation concerning the Schiit DAC and eventually an audition since Schitt has 15-day audition window. In the here and now when prejudices and the notion of "Price CLass" are pushed aside ( difficult , I know) the Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC remains one of the best I have heard and in our warped High End Audio universe, a bargain (oops I said it and may edit it :D)

Frantz, I agree with you on the Berkeley DAC.

And I have stopped thinking in terms of "price class" for a while now as well, and rather, specifically look for bargains with great performance/price ratio. My speakers are 'only' 3 grand too, excluding stands and matching sub. DaveC's top interconnect that I bought is also 'only' about a grand, which these days is dirt cheap in comparison ;), an 'unworthy contender' in the field...;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) In the here and now when prejudices and the notion of "Price CLass" are pushed aside ( difficult , I know) the Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC remains one of the best I have heard and in our warped High End Audio universe, a bargain (oops I said it and may edit it :D)

Frantz,

Too late to edit it ...

But no one needs to feel guilty about high-prices any more - a 20k DAC is a real bargain! TheAbsoluteSound magazine must be proud of helping its readers to find bargains in the high-end ... ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

Too late to edit it ...

But no one needs to feel guilty about high-prices any more - a 20k DAC is a real bargain! TheAbsoluteSound magazine must be proud of helping its readers to find bargains in the high-end ... ;)
Darn!! You got me , I'll leave it as is :cool: ...

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Some bargain! If I spent that kind of cash on a piece of stereo equipment, my wife would not be pleased! I will just leave it at that! :cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I welcome anybody with one to bring it to the store so we can compare to the Aqua La Voce, that is my reference at that price point.

Dave, does Andre have one? Maybe you can convince him to stop by :)

cheers,
alex

Alex, I believe that Andre does have the Bryston BDA 3 DAC...which when I heard it was pretty darn nice.
I know that he and I both are curious about the Yggy, I have not heard one, not sure if he now has?? Would be very interesting to AB the BDA3 against the Aqua. I'll discuss that with Andre.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks, but if you don't like it please be specific as to why. We've had enough claims on this forum that certain components 'kill' or 'slay' others without any justification for that opinion -- which suggests that they are just merely a personal preference, rather than actually being better by objective standards. I am not sure if I will agree with what Robert Harley says in his review (see top of page 14), but at least he is very specific in his observations and his reasons as to why he thinks the Yggy is a superior DAC.

I dont like the Yggy from my listening sessions with it, as I found it too dry in the setup I listened to, using my own supplied music. My Buddy Joe loves it, so what it says to me is that people legitimately have different tastes, different ears and gravitate to different system synergies. There is clearly a segment that this Dac will please and given the low pricing, I wish Schitt well!! For those who enjoy it, I am happy for you and more power to you.

ALM, My speakers also cost me the same as yours but without subs and stands. At 28hz, I have more than enough bass. From 650hz up its open baffle dipole Heil driver.

Heil tweet.jpg My Kithara closeup rotated.jpg
Pictures here

Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
May I ask what DAC you are currently using in your system and what qualities you like better than what the Yggy offered? I am just trying to create a point of reference to validate what I am hearing in my system. Thanks

I dont like the Yggy from my listening sessions with it, as I found it too dry in the setup I listened to, using my own supplied music. My Buddy Joe loves it, so what it says to me is that people legitimately have different tastes, different ears and gravitate to different system synergies. There is clearly a segment that this Dac will please and given the low pricing, I wish Schitt well!! For those who enjoy it, I am happy for you and more power to you.

ALM, My speakers also cost me the same as yours but without subs and stands. At 28hz, I have more than enough bass. From 650hz up its open baffle dipole Heil driver.

View attachment 32449 View attachment 32450
Pictures here

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I think Wisnon has a tube DAC (brand name escapes me).

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Lampi Golden Gate.

I also own a couple iFi dacs, a Chord Qute EX and a Geek Dac. There is also a Dac in the Dspeaker I have but I dont use it anymore...

Perhaps with SS amp and Heil open baffle mid/HF speakers, I have a synergy that works for me in my case.
GG vs Atlantic.jpg

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
The Golden Gate is definitely a world class DAC. What qualities does it present that you found you prefer over the Yggy? My main observation with the Yggy is the size and dimensionality of the soundstage. It is slightly truncated and a little flat. You really don't get that 3D seeing around the image presentation in my system. But what it does get right is tonality richness and weight. Some delta sigma DACs homogenize the music where it can sometimes sound too much of the same. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Lampi Golden Gate.

I also own a couple iFi dacs, a Chord Qute EX and a Geek Dac. There is also a Dac in the Dspeaker I have but I dont use it anymore...

Perhaps with SS amp and Heil open baffle mid/HF speakers, I have a synergy that works for me in my case.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
In every system I have heard the Yggy in, there is a ton of 3D spaciousness. Tonality, richness and weight, superb. I would rather have the correct tonslity that space if I had to pick between those choices. For me, the Yggy does it all.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The Golden Gate is definitely a world class DAC. What qualities does it present that you found you prefer over the Yggy? My main observation with the Yggy is the size and dimensionality of the soundstage. It is slightly truncated and a little flat. You really don't get that 3D seeing around the image presentation in my system. But what it does get right is tonality richness and weight. Some delta sigma DACs homogenize the music where it can sometimes sound too much of the same. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Hi Marty, the main thing I like is the liquidity and the weight. The SS width is fine for me and as I use Heil open driver speakers, i have all the air and spaciousness I can manage. Having said that, with Christophs Horns and AL's IRS-Vs, there was no shortage of hologoraphy either.

In contrast to the dry Yggy, I find my Lampi to have a "wet", natural sound.
I am not the poetic type, so cant explain much better than that

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing