Scare me away from tape...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Ok, so, to paraphrase the Godfather from Part I, 'Someday, I may call upon you..." when I get ready to make the move.
Thanks, all, for the basics. Cheaper cost of entry than I thought, at least for the gear itself.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Bottm line, you can spend less on a well sorted tape rig than you can on the highest performing vinyl rig...The only rub, software access for tape.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Is there a web resource on the various Studer models? From Bruce's comments and my cursory web-searching the A80 looks like it would suit me just fine, but it seems to have use not only for playback but also for wider, multi-track applications (which I am not interested in).
And where, Myles, does one get to see Tony's stuff on the Tape Project- is it in the forum section, which seems to be 'down' when i last checked?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Is there a web resource on the various Studer models? From Bruce's comments and my cursory web-searching the A80 looks like it would suit me just fine, but it seems to have use not only for playback but also for wider, multi-track applications (which I am not interested in).
And where, Myles, does one get to see Tony's stuff on the Tape Project- is it in the forum section, which seems to be 'down' when i last checked?

There used to be a Studer users group but think it's inactive now?

As far as Tony and Ed's project:

http://www.ultraanaloguerecordings.com/

Tony has also written at length here about their recording project and equipment being used!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bill-Studer A80s came in all flavors for recording studio use. What you want is the ¼” 2 track MR version with the meter bridge. If I’m wrong, Ki will jump in here. Oh, and I want one too.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
studer@yahoogroups.com is still active, I get emails daily.

The Studer list is also still active. It is not however a friendly list for amateurs and enthusiasts. ;)
I do not know if it is still available online, but the 2 large archives of this list (going from 2000 to 2008) are invalubale for any one wanting to know more about Studer tape machines.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The Studer list is also still active. It is not however a friendly list for amateurs and enthusiasts. ;)
I do not know if it is still available online, but the 2 large archives of this list (going from 2000 to 2008) are invalubale for any one wanting to know more about Studer tape machines.

it is still active from time to time, but agree that it's a bit elitist. they don't coddle to TRQ's ('tape recorder queers' as they characterize us home audio enthusiasts). i just lurk to absorb a little info.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Here's an excellent video just posted for calibration of an A80vu machine.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Bill-Studer A80s came in all flavors for recording studio use. What you want is the ¼” 2 track MR version with the meter bridge. If I’m wrong, Ki will jump in here. Oh, and I want one too.

Hi Mark:

Here's what I know -

The A80MR or A80R have tape transports that are the oldest design (still good compared to other Japanese prosumer transports). Some of the interesting issues from top of my head are - Its audio and transport electronics are located under the deck like the A80RC but since it is the oldest model, its circuits need many levels of updates to keep current. One of the most significant mechanical items to be aware are the tension arm dash pots that would need to be replaced with newer sealed kind. The A101 discrete "opamps" used in both Rec and Repro (in blue epoxy) should be replaced with newer A101 modules with far lower distortion performance. The pushbuttons have actual dry contacts that can go bad where as newer A80RC and A80VU models' pushbutton assembly uses non-contact hall effect sensors that will last near forever.

A80RCs are the most suitable for audiophile application IMO. Same transport as A80MR and R version with updates. Most common problems I find them when one shows up from a studio is its power supply having issues and sometimes when one of the supply DC voltages go south, it can take out some of the parts in transport section. Its audio section has its own DC power regulator and can withstand the surge. However, most of the filter electrolytic caps on all audio cards are suspects and should be replaced. I have replaced all the bearings in the tape paths. Two of the A80RCs I have were younger than 800 hours but the most of the bearings had dried out and needed to be replaced. Its audio circuit design is very simple in relative terms and robust sounding - better than more modern models' audio sections such as A80VU. Some of the feature issues are - it can handle only two speeds and although it can be changed, it's not worth the trouble as long as you can do 15 ips. I only know few people who actually uses 30 ips setting. The bigger challenge is that you can only have two EQ settings and one speed for one EQ fixed. Thus, you have to decide NAB or IEC, and it is configured by selection of resistors and jumpers in a small plug-in daughter board (total four). One neat trick is to configure 7.5 ips for NAB and IEC for 15 ips. The Repro tape head in A80RC is also ideal for adding outboard tape head preamp with ~200mH head.

A80VU is the latest version of A80 family with same transport as the A80RC. Studer added versatility in A80VU's EQ selection with a switch without messing with circuit board mods. All the calibration controls right in front of you. However, Studer used unobtainable OPAMPs all through out the audio sections. As long as they work, it sounds good but in order to repair one, you need a donor machine in most cases. The other problem might be - if you decide to add an outboard tape head preamp bypassing its internal electronics, you would need step up transformers. Its Repro head has ~10mH inductance. And it's slightly bigger than the A80RC (and won't fit through my room door frame...so one lives in my hall way.)

Ki

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
This thread should be a sticky...Great info Ki. Thanks for sharing. I learned alot.

I agree, Ki thank you so much for zero'ing in on exactly what i needed to know. I would like to contact you once I am ready- am in the process of relocating everything to Austin Texas. And thanks to Bruce, Myles, Mep and the others who have helped me get a basic understanding. And for the Rockitman, for encouraging me!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I agree, Ki thank you so much for zero'ing in on exactly what i needed to know. I would like to contact you once I am ready- am in the process of relocating everything to Austin Texas. And thanks to Bruce, Myles, Mep and the others who have helped me get a basic understanding. And for the Rockitman, for encouraging me!

Austin...will you be there at the F1 next month?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Ki-Thanks so much for the clarification!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing