Say what you want about Wilson

It is no secret that I am not a Wilson fan, but couriously I have always liked their sound amd shows, friend's systems and particullary during my las visit to Stereo Design in San Diego (Maxx2/Boulder setup) - I admire their manufactuing process and marketing, I have been very close to buy a pair more than one time (Duetto, WP7 and Sophia 2) but ended up deciding not to.

Your loss Fernando. :)

Christian I've seen a lot of Dave Wilson videos. He constantly defends his decision to reject exotic tweeters. The silk dome tweeter is a classic design. That's what I mean by mundane.

I would post the video. But they are omnipresent.

They metal focal tweeter is still a great tweeter. Funny how most people who say the tweeter is an issue are those that don't own or have little if any listening experience more than hearing them at a show or dealer. Silk tweeters are hardly new, I had them back in the 1970's. Just as mundane as metal designs. It's all about implemention. Obviously Dave feels it's a step forward in his Wilson designs. It doesn't mean past designs are bad.

Clearly you are misunderstanding me Here is Dave explaining it at 3:46.

I cannot identify with this. At all. I had an emotional connection with my music when it was playing on a BSR turntable, purchased for $40 with the Christmas tips from my paper route, a Lafayette integrated and a pair of no-name speakers. I'm sure I'm not alone. If a desire to hear more music, meaning, the musical information that lies beyond the basic aural outline, doesn't exist as the driving force behind the acquisition of fine audio gear, why even bother?

I used to work with a guy, selling audio, who'd make bets as to the total volume of a given record collection, before we entered a house with an exclusive system. The guy in the video bought a pair of nice speakers. Really nice. Where are the records?

"The DEFUNCT (????) configuration of the Alexandria XLF is with the bass port to the rear.... " I think she means "default."

It just made me laugh to hear her say that at 5:50!

Last edited:
Anyone is free to read and interpret a thread like he wants. But for many people the bottom line is where we write a conclusion, a summary of our findings. IMHO you are presenting your interpretation, that in no way summarizes or expresses what the majority of the participants wrote. Your explanation of Wilson success ignores the most significant aspect - they have developed, manufactured and distributed products that sound excellent since long time. Surely the dedication to quality, the promotion and the excellent dealer network helps to create a clientele, but sound quality is the key parameter.

I have to partially disagree with you. I'm not saying Wilson doesn't make good speakers. I know they do and have heard many of their models. A lot of companies make great speakers. Wilson unlike some other high-end speaker companies know how to market their products. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't believe it's always about what sounds the best.

taters - arguably, Wilson as a company has something which can be desribed as the most complete 'package' in the speaker industry.

'Package' is not only about how the speaker sounds. It is much more than that. It is their brand name (which translates to resale value), build quality, customer service (among the best in the industry), dealer base etc.

As you have said - there are many competing speakers that sound good, or very good for that matter. But the 'package' which comes with Wilson, is what makes the difference.

taters - arguably, Wilson as a company has something which can be desribed as the most complete 'package' in the speaker industry.

'Package' is not only about how the speaker sounds. It is much more than that. It is their brand name (which translates to resale value), build quality, customer service (among the best in the industry), dealer base etc.

As you have said - there are many competing speakers that sound good, or very good for that matter. But the 'package' which comes with Wilson, is what makes the difference.

And that "package" includes pride of ownership that starts with the Wilson dealers training in selling their products and delivering the products and setting them up in their customer's homes. The customer sees well trained people coming to their house with beautifully packaged speakers being carefully unloaded and brought into their rooms. And then the speakers are carefully unpacked, carefully assembled, and carefully moved into their final position according to Wilson's training.

MAXX-5 should arrive soon ...

They wouldn't be at CES 2013. From WA FB:

Wilson Audio will not have an active room at the Venetian during CES. However, the following manufacturers with be showing using Wilson Audio products:

D'agostino - 29-320 (Duettes)
Lamm - 35-305 (Maxx 3)
C.A.T. - 29-332 (Sasha)
Light Harmonic – 29-226 (Sasha)

InfinityIRS.jpg

Holy Cow...nice pic :p

You never cease to amaze me with the pictures you post that have absolutely nothing to do with the threads you post them in. Here in a Wilson thread, you drop in a picture of an old pair of Infinity IRS speakers. Why? What does this have to do with Wilson? What is your point??

You never cease to amaze me with the pictures you post that have absolutely nothing to do with the threads you post them in. Here in a Wilson thread, you drop in a picture of an old pair of Infinity IRS speakers. Why? What does this have to do with Wilson? What is your point??

Well, we know one thing. That it is probably not OB's house.

I have to partially disagree with you. I'm not saying Wilson doesn't make good speakers. I know they do and have heard many of their models. A lot of companies make great speakers. Wilson unlike some other high-end speaker companies know how to market their products. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't believe it's always about what sounds the best.

Sounds best to whom ...? IMO, WA is deserving of their SOTA status , solid product, company and reputation , the sound, what someone prefers is always going to be personal and subjective.

Regards,

absolutely ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing