SawThis On Facebook-It's Gone Viral

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
To you lawyers out there..... is it true that at a check point we surrender our constitutional rights

Well I am not a US lawyer - plenty here. But I would say:

Highly unlikely.

I doubt that the boofhead officer had any idea what "rights" he was enforcing or violating. He doesn't look the sharpest tool in the toolbox. All they know is they don't like to be challenged.

Officials of the state tend to try and get away with what they can. Our Police used to love abit of civil rights abuse. They can't get away with it now. Everything is digitally recorded. And not only does a breach make it in front a Court, but it usually makes it onto the front page of our newspapers = end of an officers career. Our Courts love handing out decent sized penalty awards against the Police for breaches of civil rights. That tends to put a damper on their fun.

The silly thing is you don't have to behave like a prehistoric neolith to be effective.

Police are much more respected the more professionally they behave.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The police can do all the things they did in that video; it's all perfectly legal (without a lawyer present).
They suspected the driver to be no good, and that's enough to warrant a search. They don't need any proof, the driver unfortunately wasn't travelling with his legal lawyer @ his side.

The young driver of the vehicle is not a police officer; he doesn't have the same rights...he actually has no rights. If you think he has, think again.

It's life, it's America, it's North America. We're lucky, in South America they'd kill you, then rob you.
In some town in Texas, everyone is so corrupted that you have no business to be be there if you are a good an honest citizen.
There was an article recently where they hired 100 FBI agents in the most corrupted town in Texas. ...Let me check that link ...
? http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/this-might-be-the-most-corrupt-little-town-in-america/ar-BBqo43Y

Anyway, it's a good job to be a police officer; they have more rights than normal people.

* If there are no lawyers present, you're out of luck...and no matter if you are a teenager or a retiree.

Of course it's outrageous, but what can you do...nothin'. ...Because if your argue, they'll arrest you and put you in jail, and charge you for resisting arrest. It's called "abuse of power", and there are many many bad cops out there. And true, they have many rights that we don't. And don't need any justification to search you, just a suspicion is good enough, because in court they'll have free way of passage.
But yeah, put videos everywhere in your car, when you walk, when you ride your bike, @ all time, use a video camera on you that they cannot see.

The kid made a mistake; he had to answer the cop's questions...his age. The kid hesitated...then he was in trouble right there. ...Kid's fault.
The kid kept asking if he was detained...wrong attitude...you don't ask questions to cops...they are the ones asking the questions.
If the kid goes to court, his case is lost.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The police are scum.

Youtube is replete with thousands of videos just like this one.

The police are liars and their goal is to intimidate or shoot the citizenry whenever possible.

I have no sympathy for anyone of their ilk when bad things happen to them.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Much like the Catholic priesthood attracts (a minority of) pedophiles, the police force attracts (a minority of) abusive smalled dicked assholes. Their profession puts them in a position where they can act out their perversion with impunity, which is precisely why they elected to get into their line of work. The good cops deserver some blame for failure to drain the swamp and protect their own (analogous to the Catholic Church).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The world is cruel, many cops are cruel, many priests (Boston area) are pedophiles, ...the top leaders in the force from many towns and counties and countries and in Rome they all know what's going on and they let it happening and they protect the same people in their own club who are the real criminals, the world is cruel. ...The corruption, the abuse of power, etc.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The police are scum.

The police are liars and their goal is to intimidate or shoot the citizenry whenever possible.

I have no sympathy for anyone of their ilk.

+1000. Police corruption is wide-spread, and what makes it to youtube and the news is just the tip of the iceberg. Besides widely-publicized crimes, like killings (or "executions" as the NYT calls them) and rape (where an officer in Oklahoma got 230 years recently, and another one in Alabama sentenced to just 6 months, last week), there are a lot of police crimes that go unreported or under-reported, by choice of the system itself, in order to protect its image and interests.

Speaking specifically about the police in Massachusetts, and especially the corrupt Massachusetts State Police, one need only read this brief and realize how many cops, including State Troopers, drive drunk and kill people, then refuse breathalyzer tests and deny all charges; in fact, that's how most of them keep their jobs... which basically means they take advantage of a corrupt law enforcement & legal system, which effectively sanctions their behavior, save for a conviction here or there of the more egregious and obvious cases. What's not covered in the Boston Globe article are convictions of State Troopers and other police for beating their wives (one of them, in fact, was a police chief of the city of Waltham, where our friends at Goodwin's High End have their store), and many a police chief that are caught driving drunk and then turn around and tell the officer "do you know who I am?" and end up just getting a ride back home and everything is forgotten (one of them, the Sudbury police chief, who is mentioned in the article, was the exception and he resigned).

One thing that really struck me really negatively about the Massachusetts State Police was during the Boston bombings on the day of the lockdown we had; while everyone else was chasing the terrorist brothers, a bunch of State Police troopers were shown on TV marching up and down Arsenal St (near the final showdown site), in a stupid show of force. I have since lost all respect for all of them, though their murders, lies and manipulation of the system should have been reason enough, much earlier than that...

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Rumor has it that they (the male version) were born with three testicles. :eek:

In all seriousness, like any other occupation, there are good folks and bad folks. The problem with this profession is that the bad ones (likely the minority in most departments) can cause irreparable harm to society and create an environment of public distrust and aggression that, once opened, never goes away.

And with video, its all becoming painfully obvious at this time.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
The police are scum.

I have no sympathy for anyone of their ilk.

And what exactly are they supposed to do when they get someone like that who is trying to be an absolute smartarse, clearly wants to become an overnight internet sensation, may well even have actually purposely driven there specifically to make this video (seems like he had it all planned out long before stopping the car), does not comply with what is actually a perfectly sensible, valid request that is followed automatically, without any resistance and without question - by probably 99 plus percent of people pulled over in their cars? He does not cooperate from the outset and refuses to comply with a perfectly reasonable request to wind down the window. 99.9% of people stopped here at a random drug or breath test will have the window wound down before they reach the officer so - at least where I live - not winding down a window - especially when actually requested to do so by a law enforcement officer - would be a significant red flag. It isn't like there is any question these are people impersonating law enforcement out to commit a crime (which would be the one obviously excellent excuse not to open the window).

So given you have someone who does not comply with that request at the outset, in my mind that instantly sets a red flag. I don't have any problem with what I saw the police or their dog do in that video (even if it was not legal - I do not know). What would people be saying if this person had just committed a major crime, did not cooperate, did not open window, driver and car were not searched and then they let them on their merry way? Or are the police supposed to be mind readers?

Yes, I understand that police sometimes step over the mark and sometimes way over the mark. Yes, there are people in the police forces that should not be in them. Yes, the policeman obviously needs further training at the very least, but given that it is more than likely dozens of not hundreds of cars had passed through that checkpoint without problems, all the guy had to do was simply not be a smartarse and cooperate. He would have been on his way within a couple of minutes at most.

I actually wish in this day and age new laws would be introduced to stop behaviour like seen with this car driver. I don't think for one moment that he was there for any other reason than to prove a point and become an overnight internet sensation and the expense of the police force. At the very least, I'd like to see him charged with wasting police time and resources.

If anything, the only thing this video demonstrates to me is that laws need to be tightened up to give police more powers, not less. Picking the right people to do that job (versus the wrong people) is an entirely different matter. I thought there was some law in my country to comply with any reasonable request from a law enforcement officer. I guess this does not apply in America. No wonder there is so much crime there compared to here in Australia where people do respect what the police ask them to do.

PS: If you think I am "pro-police", I am not. I do not have a high opinion of them in terms of their ability to get results, however I respect that they are ordinary people trying to do extraordinary work. It is hard enough as it is to be a law enforcement officer without dealing with little sh&ts like this person.

lateboomer

Oct 22, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
And what exactly are they supposed to do when they get someone like that who is trying to be an absolute smartarse, clearly wants to become an overnight internet sensation, may well even have actually purposely driven there specifically to make this video (seems like he had it all planned out long before stopping the car), does not comply with what is actually a perfectly sensible, valid request that is followed automatically, without any resistance and without question - by probably 99 plus percent of people pulled over in their cars?

+100. This is common sense. Well said.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And what exactly are they supposed to do when they get someone like that who is trying to be an absolute smartarse, clearly wants to become an overnight internet sensation, may well even have actually purposely driven there specifically to make this video (seems like he had it all planned out long before stopping the car), does not comply with what is actually a perfectly sensible, valid request that is followed automatically, without any resistance and without question - by probably 99 plus percent of people pulled over in their cars? He does not cooperate from the outset and refuses to comply with a perfectly reasonable request to wind down the window. 99.9% of people stopped here at a random drug or breath test will have the window wound down before they reach the officer so - at least where I live - not winding down a window - especially when actually requested to do so by a law enforcement officer - would be a significant red flag. It isn't like there is any question these are people impersonating law enforcement out to commit a crime (which would be the one obviously excellent excuse not to open the window).

So given you have someone who does not comply with that request at the outset, in my mind that instantly sets a red flag. I don't have any problem with what I saw the police or their dog do in that video (even if it was not legal - I do not know). What would people be saying if this person had just committed a major crime, did not cooperate, did not open window, driver and car were not searched and then they let them on their merry way? Or are the police supposed to be mind readers?

Yes, I understand that police sometimes step over the mark and sometimes way over the mark. Yes, there are people in the police forces that should not be in them. Yes, the policeman obviously needs further training at the very least, but given that it is more than likely dozens of not hundreds of cars had passed through that checkpoint without problems, all the guy had to do was simply not be a smartarse and cooperate. He would have been on his way within a couple of minutes at most.

I actually wish in this day and age new laws would be introduced to stop behaviour like seen with this car driver. I don't think for one moment that he was there for any other reason than to prove a point and become an overnight internet sensation and the expense of the police force. At the very least, I'd like to see him charged with wasting police time and resources.

If anything, the only thing this video demonstrates to me is that laws need to be tightened up to give police more powers, not less. Picking the right people to do that job (versus the wrong people) is an entirely different matter. I thought there was some law in my country to comply with any reasonable request from a law enforcement officer. I guess this does not apply in America. No wonder there is so much crime there compared to here in Australia where people do respect what the police ask them to do.

PS: If you think I am "pro-police", I am not. I do not have a high opinion of them in terms of their ability to get results, however I respect that they are ordinary people trying to do extraordinary work. It is hard enough as it is to be a law enforcement officer without dealing with little sh&ts like this person.

Fine balance here Fiddle ... Compliance is also the issue. When one complies to an illegal request one puts oneself in (potential) harm way. There is a reason why there are laws governing how and when searches are to be conducted. You are assuming a level of good faith from the Police which could be shattered if you were to be in a situation when you were to face a rogue police officer who would want to frame you. "Reasonable" is too subjective to be left into the hands and mind of a person with all his/her wants. needs desires and prejudices... Let's leave it at that.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
"Reasonable" is too subjective to be left into the hands and mind of a person with all his/her wants. needs desires and prejudices... Let's leave it at that.

I agree. I hate the word reasonable, but it is thrown around in legal circles all the time. Even when I did some basic law studies in secondary school, that word must have been thrown around 1000 times. Here is a whole afternoon of reading - the actual legislation relating to certain police powers here in NSW where I live:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/leara2002451/

Just to present a recent experience I had, showing how hard it is to be in law enforcement these days:

In our suburb we've been having an ongoing problem with illegal trail bikes being ridden in residential streets. Where I am, the problem is a serious one because they fly over a blind crest 25 metres away at high speed in a narrow 50 km/h speed limited street. If I am backing out of my driveway and they happen to be coming, I would never see them. First thing I would know is they are on the ground, dead after hitting my car (they also do not wear helmets, nor do they have lights at night time).

I was visited by a senior Sergeant at my local patrol and he came into my house and we sat down for a good hour to discuss it. You wouldn't believe how crippled these guys are in executing there duties. It is ridiculous. Even if I know the house they live in, it does not help. Not even if they find a trail bike 5 minutes later in that garage with a hot engine and hot brakes. The police cannot "hide" around the cul de sac in wait because that would then require blocking off the road once the biker sees them - something they also cannot do except under very strict circumstances. Actual pursuits are now under extremely stringent laws thanks to too many people being injured or killed - including the ones being chased. A new law called "Skye's Law" was even introduced a few years ago that enabled the book to be thrown at people evading pursuit, but it is one thing to identify a car and another the driver.

A couple of weeks back, our local police staged a "string" operation. It involved amongst other things, an entire regional trail bike squad, highway patrol cars and two police helicopters. I looked up the cost of "renting" them (yes, the police have a policy of renting themselves out for community liaison purposes apart from performing their normal duties) and this operation would have cost them about $12,000 in manpower, cars and helicopters. The maximum fine any of these riders could have got was several thousand dollars. I believe they nabbed three of them. But not all of them.

I just think this whole business of police powers has gotten ridiculous. A police officer here in Australia can't even deploy his or her taser without making the front page news in the national papers, let alone discharge their 22 calibre Glock. They might as well wear tutus, water pistols, carry fairy floss and give out MacDonalds vouchers to law abiding citizens. A police officer has to process so many things when they decide to take action during a time-critical incident that I am honestly amazed they can even do their jobs at all. It's really easy to look back at any given incident and with half an hour's thought determine all the mistakes and work out what could have been done better, but law enforcement have to make snap decisions all the time.

There was another recent incident in Queensland I believe where two female officers made the headlines because they stopped someone in a car who had a bikie-gang tattoo. Obviously another completely innocent, law abiding citizen being denied their imagined birthright (end sarcasm).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-27/qld-police-defend-officer-who-pulled-taser-on-tourist/6888864

So I wonder why it is that I have reached 50 years of age and neither myself, nor anyone I have personally known, has even had even so much as the slightest run-in with law enforcement? You'd think that if all these people worldwide making police behaving badly videos are anything to go by, I should have at the very least been bashed, tasered, locked up, hosed down and shot by law enforcement by now. Then again, when I am out and about I just follow the law and comply with anything they have asked me to do. Without exception, not once have I ever seen any of these videos where the so-called victim did not play a role in the incident escalating to an out of control situation.

So far as the original video posted in this thread is concerned, I imagine in future years the driver will play their own indirect role in increasing crime and unsolved crime rates by becoming a civil liberties advocate.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
This really is a tough topic but hard to ignore given what's happened here in the US over the past 18 months or so.

And we all know many other incidents likely occurred that were not caught on camera.

It's all about balance. Problem is nobody knows what that balance is.

And now we have another dynamic. I'll call it the DT factor with violence erupting at scheduled public campaign events.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
And now we have another dynamic. I'll call it the DT factor with violence erupting at scheduled public campaign events.
This was inevitable and predicted
0110 0110 0110

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
This kind of abusive behavior by police actually puts them in danger. In the U.S. the bad cops are losing the respect of the people.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
This kind of abusive behavior by police actually puts them in danger. In the U.S. the bad cops are losing the respect of the people.

ALL the cops have lost the respect of the people.

They are not to be trusted.

They are not looked up to.

They are not there to help.

They are to be avoided.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing