Samsung loses patent suit to Apple

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
---No cheat here Amir; I got inside info that is solid. ...You'll see. :b

I may not know much, but I do know I wouldn't be posting that.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
My post was dated 16th September 2012. Value of AAPL = $700.25.

Today: $628.10. And this is straight after the launch of the iPhone 5 and heading into December.

I'll hold thx. Here are some fairly comprehensive counter-arguments about where Apple might go:

https://bullishcross.com

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I should be paid beaucop d'argent for this advice. Custom and practice yields to statutory preference. If your opponent has you in a a vulnerable position they will take advantage of it. How many of us could leave a billion dollars on the table? That might even considered malpractice on the part of Apples' lawyers. Samsungs' lawyers should be fired. That is assuming their good advice was not given and / or ignored.

If you are infringing on a patent, it does not matter "that everyone does it." Certain laws are designed to avoid courts having to decide who is right. Generally speaking these laws ask basic questions. Is the party or act protected by statute? Did the proscribed behavior fall within the statute? If the answer is yes, you are screwed

It's the job of Samsungs lawyers to limit thieirr companies exposure. They failed.

Greg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Apple ordered to re-write 'inaccurate' Samsung statement

Apple has 48 hours to re-write a statement on its website relating to its design rights dispute with Samsung, UK judges have ruled.

Apple was forced on 18 October to publish a message making it clear that Samsung had not infringed the iPad's registered design.

However Samsung complained the statement Apple had posted did not comply with the court order.

Judges agreed and have told Apple it must be removed within 24 hours.

A new, compliant version must then be posted.

Michael Beloff QC, representing Apple, told judges that the company had thought that it had complied with the court order.

"It's not designed to punish," he said.

"It's not designed to make us grovel. The only purpose must be to dispel commercial uncertainty."

He asked that the company be given 14 days to post the replacement - but the request was firmly denied.

Lord Justice Longmore told Mr Beloff: "We are just amazed that you cannot put the right notice up at the same time as you take the other one down."

Sir Robin Jacob added: "I would like to see the head of Apple [Tim Cook] make an affidavit about why that is such a technical difficulty for the Apple company."

Apple told the BBC it did not want to comment further.

'Horse's mouth'
Samsung complained that the notice posted by Apple was "inaccurate and misleading" because it added comments about other rulings in Germany and the US that had gone in the iPad-maker's favour.

"This has received enormous publicity and has perpetuated confusion as to Samsung's entitlement to market the Galaxy tablet computers in issue," a Samsung lawyer said in a written statement to judges.

"It has created the impression that the UK court is out of step with other courts."

The UK's ruling applies to the whole of the EU.

A UK judge said Samsung's product was not as "cool" as the iPad, and would not be mistaken for it
The court order is the latest twist in an ongoing legal saga involving the two companies.

Apple brought the case to the UK courts, alleging that Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10 had infringed the design of its iPad.

But in July, Judge Colin Birss disagreed on the grounds that Samsung's product was not as "cool".

His ruling meant that Apple was denied the opportunity to impose a sales ban on Samsung's products.

Apple was unsuccessful in appealing the ruling, and was ordered to place a notice on its website, newspapers and magazines explaining that Samsung had not infringed its designs.

The intention, judges said, was not to make Apple "grovel", but to remove "commercial uncertainty" surrounding Samsung's products.

"A consumer might well think: 'I had better not buy a Samsung - maybe it's illegal and if I buy one it may not be supported'," Sir Robin said.

"Apple itself must (having created the confusion) make the position clear: that it acknowledges that the court has decided that that these Samsung products do not infringe its registered design.

"The acknowledgement must come from the horse's mouth."

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
OK guys, it really is time to sell your Apple shares if you have it.

My post was dated 16th September 2012. Value of AAPL = $700.25.

Today: $628.10. And this is straight after the launch of the iPhone 5 and heading into December.

The above post was made slightly less than a month ago. AAPL right now is $537.75.

Heck, I did tell you guys to sell your Apple shares in September, when it was $700! But nooooooooooooo, I was dismissed as the Android crackpot.

Remember, it is now two months since the launch of the iPhone 5, and a month since the launch of a whole slew of Apple products - the refreshed iPad 4, the new iPad mini, new iPods, new Macbooks, and new Mac desktops. Their entire line, down to the con-job proprietary connector for their iOS devices, is new. Yet all these new products can not stop the inexorable slide in Apple share prices. What more can Apple do to reverse the rot? They have already refreshed their entire line and fired a few executives, yet this is not enough to regain the market's confidence.

Their bubble has burst - everyone knows that Apple is a spent force, no longer innovative, releasing tired and cynical products for their gullible, captive market which is increasingly shrinking (now 14.9%) and abandoning it in droves. Apple mistook their brief fashionability for genuine brand loyalty and product desire. Only fads take off as fast as Apple did and now the novelty is wearing off. Apple mistook the vast majority of casual users for the exact kind of fawning, sycophantic zealots you see working in their stores or lining up for days in advance for a new iDevice.

If you bought below $537 ... now REALLY is the time to sell. It is time to open your eyes and see what everyone else sees. Get out.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think what Keith might be saying is that the "Stairway to Heaven" in terms of stock value for Apple has reached a broken rung.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- And my prediction was less than $500 a share by the end of this year.

Remember too, the USA is right at the verge of a huge 'fiscal cliff'. ...Within the next few weeks we'll know for sure; and with their fall Canada will fall as well, so other countries of the world.
...And Europe big time.

If your government (democrats and republicans together) doesn't come up with a magical/financial recipe, we're all screwed, all across the board (world map).

Then China takes over for good.

This is my personal opinion, and you can respectfully disagree with it; that is perfectly fine by me.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
the republicans will cave on the "cliff". If they hope to survive as a party. At least one org. has called Florida for Obama.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
-- And my prediction was less than $500 a share by the end of this year.

Remember too, the USA is right at the verge of a huge 'fiscal cliff'. ...Within the next few weeks we'll know for sure; and with their fall Canada will fall as well, so other countries of the world.
...And Europe big time.

If your government (democrats and republicans together) doesn't come up with a magical/financial recipe, we're all screwed, all across the board (world map).

Then China takes over for good.

This is my personal opinion, and you can respectfully disagree with it; that is perfectly fine by me.

Canada didn't fall with the disaster of Freddy and Fanny, which affected millions of people in the U.S. You know why Bob? Good sound fiscal policy.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Just take the time to watch the serious news; it's all over.

And even if the Harper's government is injecting billions of dollars in the economy, it won't stop the fall into the deep North American crevasse (ravine). We are dependant of the Americans at 100%. And when it comes to the law, it's their law! ...I mean an accused or Canadian defendant in their own soil (territory). In general, we are the Igloo people, and we still don't know how to light a fire.

;)

I said it before; a world of equality between the rich and the poor is the real solution.
The rich has to pour money into the economic machine (jobs for the real poor workers, like me).
And we have to stop right now the loopholes so that they pay their fair share (taxes and all).
And above all, reform the corruption, which is spreaded like a true bad disease between all our oceans. ...Money paid by all of us to the bad gang leaders of organized pollution.
...You know what I mean ....

As for Apple; nice tablets, iPads, all across, big and small.
And Samsung is good too with their Androids and plasma 3D HDTVs. :b

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Keith

What you fail to understand is that ALL stocks are down over the past 2 months so what's new.
Here is right Steve. Apple shot up higher and has fallen lower (higher beta/volatility). Here is the comparison to Nasdaq for the last three months:

A good lesson for not owning individual stocks :).

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think what Keith might be saying is that the "Stairway to Heaven" in terms of stock value for Apple has reached a broken rung.

And yet the overwhelming consensus is that Apple's next quarter will be their largest ever with what would be enormous year over year growth for any other company of any size.

Yep, the stock had taken it on the chin recently. If I was more of a active trader in it rather than a buy/hold type this run would be a time to game it.

But I simply don't see the rationale for the drop given the numbers, nor do I see this stagnation of innovation. Every product can't be revolutionary and the p/e doesn't reflect a company that requires that. Who else gets penalized for being 'not revolutionary, but outselling everybody else in nearly every category. .Hey, amazon (which I like as a stock/company) loses 250 mil and goes up. Year over year numbers nothing like Apple's. I think there's a ton of irrationality out there now and value will out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing