Samsung loses patent suit to Apple

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Who would have thought Apple would actually copy other's work...How can this be?:p

"Well it just goes to show you, it's always something. If it isn't one thing, it's something else...," R
oseanne Roseannadanna

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Amir, I have said that Apple's innovation is to patent ideas that they have ripped off others as their own, and then market the hell out of it so that people who are ignorant of tech history believe it. They have never invented anything, all their ideas have been pioneered by others and debuted on other devices. The difference is - the other companies did not take out patents which Apple greedily gobbled up. They are absolutely shameless and this latest example only proves it. I hope that Swiss company gets one billion dollars.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That looks like a perfect copy to me. Even if SBB hadn't sought trademark protection in the US or if it has, hasn't been renewing it (which requires that they still use it as such), it still doesn't seem right to me.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
That looks like a perfect copy to me. Even if SBB hadn't sought trademark protection in the US or if it has, hasn't been renewing it (which requires that they still use it as such), it still doesn't seem right to me.

Yep, Apple should pay a licensing fee.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Playing hardball may result in some short term gain. It always comes back to bite you. In my own profession I find my adversaries mount a quick retreat once they realize it's a two-way street.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Guys,

It's one thing to copy a completely non-related device (in this case, a clock), as a sort of "homage to good design". Sure Apple could've reach out to the SBB folks and licensed the looks, but it's way, WAY different than copying your direct competitor down to the little icons.
SBB doesn't compete with Apple, and vice-versa.
Again, very ugly for Apple to have done that. If Apple's intention was to pay their respects to good design (which I honestly believe was the case), they should've at least asked if the swiss WANTED to be paid in respect, or in cold hard swiss francs...

alexandre

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Apple's business strategies are very similar to Sony's ones.

My next phone (Android) will be the Samsung Galaxy S IV. :b
Screw Apple and their overall 'powertrip' control, and their underestimation of people's intelligence.
This company is going down! ...You'll see. Not tomorrow morning, but it's comin' eventually.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
N'Star

Like anything Apple will eventually go down ....Meanwhile, here in Miami stores are running (or are already) out of the iPhone 5.. PR problems can be solved as we have seen in the case of actors and other public figures .. Apple needs first to ascertain that the public perception is changing and that theirs is trending toward "not favorable" It is no longer an automatic "cool thing" to go for an iPhone as the alternatives may be more suitable for a given individual and the number of such alternatives is increasing

As for the demise of Apple, as they say in French: Ce n'est pas demain la veille ...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
N'Star

Like anything Apple will eventually go down ....Meanwhile, here in Miami stores are running (or are already) out of the iPhone 5.. PR problems can be solved as we have seen in the case of actors and other public figures .. Apple needs first to ascertain that the public perception is changing and that theirs is trending toward "not favorable" It is no longer an automatic "cool thing" to go for an iPhone as the alternatives may be more suitable for a given individual and the number of such alternatives is increasing

As for the demise of Apple, as they say in French: Ce n'est pas demain la veille ...

I agree mon ami

I'm holding my shares

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Just started playing with it, but the build design and precision of the 5 is fantastic.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am understanding that Apple maps uses Cloud Map Graphing and has intuitive learning. IOW the more that people map things the better and more accurate it gets. Certainly not perfect now but if that is true then there seems to be a feeling that Apple maps will come even with Google maps. Or am I mistaken

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I'm sure it will, Steve ... but how long are you prepared to wait? :)

One year down the track and Siri is still close to useless. If you want proper mapping right now, you need either a Nokia, an Android, or pray that Google will release an iOS maps application (and if they do, that the control freaks at Apple won't block it!).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Keith,

I'm pretty sure you meant "still close to useless TO ME", as I haven't seen a single comment on the internet, either from reputable magazines nor bloggers complaining about the usefulness of Siri.
FOR ME it's useless, as it doesn't understand my language :D But at least I'm fair enough to emphasize that it's useless for a subset of the global population...

alexandre

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---You guys are funny (demanding and always criticizing). :b

Of course with time things will get better, but we'll still be complaining. ...It's just the name of the game. :b

What we do today is it (we're living with what we got and don't).
Tomorrow who cares!

Does the best have an history in time? Of course it does;
the main thing is to grab it while we're in its trajectory.
...And for the very short time that it lasted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing