Samsung loses patent suit to Apple

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
-- Just take the time to watch the serious news; it's all over.

And even if the Harper's government is injecting billions of dollars in the economy, it won't stop the fall into the deep North American crevasse (ravine).

I said it before; a world of equality between the rich and the poor is the real solution.
The rich has to pour money into the economic machine (jobs for the real poor workers, like me).
And we have to stop right now the loopholes so that they pay their fair share (taxes and all).
And above all, reform the corruption, which is spreaded like a true bad disease between all our oceans. ...Money paid by all of us to the bad gang leaders of organized pollution.
...You know what I mean ....

I watch the news Bob, and I'd like to think I'm in tune with a lot of it, although the really heavy financial stuff/implications get the worst of me as I don't always understand it. But so be it. I do however have a great deal of confidence in what the Bank of Canada is doing, as they've shown us, and the rest of the world, that they know what they are doing. As such, I may be more optimistic than you. We are not the same country we were 20-30 years ago. We have a lot more confidence now and are following our own path. I think it's working.

I don't disagree with the other points you've raised, and I'd love to see some real dialogue, but that ain't gonna happen for now. Too many vested interests and not enough grassroots protests to wake up the old guard. And even if they did, who is there to replace them? A bunch of rookies that have already been shown that the way to get re-elected is not by pleasing your constituents, but only to be comfortably influenced by the lobbyists.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sorry guys for my previous rant....wrong thread for that.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you have ever seen a young girl/ woman in a a coffee shop caressing her apple laptop and iphone. You'll know that apple is safe.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Keith

What you fail to understand is that ALL stocks are down over the past 2 months so what's new.

What's new is that AAPL has managed to "outperform" all the other tech stocks again :) Here is a selection for you. First column is the share price in Sep 2012, second column is today's share price, third column is %:

AAPL: 665.24 537.75 -19.16%
GOOG: 685.09 652.29 -4.78%
MSFT: 30.82 28.81 -6.52%
IBM: 194.85 190.10 -2.43%
QCOM: 61.46 60.67 -1.28%

So yes, all of them are down, but none more so than AAPL.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ouch! $21M is the ticket price to use that Swiss Clock look! No wonder some heads rolled at Apple....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57548115-37/time-is-money-apple-pays-$21m-for-clock-design-says-report

"Time is money: Apple pays $21M for clock design, says report
Apple shells out many millions of dollars to license the iconic Swiss clock-face design it apparently adapted for use in iOS 6, says a news agency report.

Quality Swiss-made timepieces don't come cheap. Just ask Apple.
The company shelled out a $21 million "lump sum" to license a clock-face design from the Swiss Federal Railway service, French news agency AFP reported, citing a Swiss paper.

In September, the railway service, also known as SBB, objected to the clock-face design in iOS 6, saying it too closely resembled a trademarked design created in 1944 by SBB employee Hans Hilfiker and used in train stations throughout Switzerland.

Hilfiker's design has been honored by both the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the London Design Museum and has become a symbol of Swiss punctuality, according to the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs' swissworld site. It's also licensed to Mondaine, a Swiss watch manufacturer.

SBB reached a licensing agreement with Apple last month, but at the time, an SBB representative said the amount of the licensing fee and other details of the deal would remain confidential."

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Apple seeks to add more products to Samsung patent lawsuit

Reuters

(Reuters) - Apple Inc has asked a federal court to add six more products to its patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung Electronics Co, including the Samsung Galaxy Note II, in the latest in move in an ongoing legal war between the two companies.
The case is one of two patent infringement lawsuits pending in the U.S. District Court in San Jose by Apple against Samsung. An earlier lawsuit by Apple that related to different patents resulted in a $1.05 billion jury verdict against Samsung on August 24.
Apple is also seeking to add the Samsung Galaxy S III, running the new Android "Jelly Bean" operating system, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 Wifi, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, the Samsung Rugby Pro, and the Samsung Galaxy S III Mini, to its lawsuit, according to a court filing on Friday.
"Apple has acted quickly and diligently to determine that these newly-released products do infringe many of the same claims already asserted by Apple," the company said in the filing.
Samsung representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Apple filed the second lawsuit in February, alleging that various Samsung smartphone and tablet products including the Galaxy Nexus infringed eight of its patents.
Samsung denied infringement and filed a cross-complaint alleging that Apple's iPhone and iPad infringed eight of its patents.
A U.S. judge on November 15 allowed Samsung to pursue claims the iPhone5 also infringes its patents.
The case is Apple Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. et al, No. 12-cv-00630.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If this has not gotten to the point of absurdness to enrich lawyers and nothing else, I don't know what is. They honestly are going after each other in Netherlands??? What's next? $1B award wasn't enough and they go and chase each other over cents relative to that???

Dutch Court: Samsung Galaxy Devices Infringe on Apple Patent

Apple scored another patent victory today when a Dutch court approved a ban on some of Samsung's older, Galaxy-branded gadgets.

As reported by Bloomberg, Judge Peter Blok with the Hague District Court found that the Samsung devices infringe on an Apple patent for navigating photos in a gallery.

In Aug. 2011, the same court imposed an EU-wide preliminary injunction against Samsung Galaxy smartphones; today's ruling converts that ruling into a permanent injunction, according to patent blogger Florian Mueller.

Samsung got around the infringing "bounce back" photo gallery feature by using a "blue flash" instead, he said. But the company will owe Apple damages.

"The amount of damages Samsung owes Apple will have to be determined in a separate proceeding," Mueller wrote. "Given the limited size of the Dutch market and the fact that this is not a jurisdiction known for outrageous damages awards, the absolute amount will likely be small, presumably even below the legal fees incurred."

Reuters said the devices in question were running Android Gingerbread or Honeycomb; gadgets being released by Samsung at this point largely run Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
If one does a lot with stockmarkets I feel this could be seen happening even back early last year.
Was one of the great defensive stocks for a rocky 2012, but time to consider getting out or watching closely was last quarter of 2012, and definitely beginning of 2013 - IMO of course and could be very wrong.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ing-downgraded&p=105759&viewfull=1#post105759

Now if only I was so bloody on the ball with my high risk stock investments lol.
Blackberry were the ones to jump in when news came out of their new Blackberry 10 product, worth keeping an eye on but already doubled I think.
Still think Samsung is going to have a great 2013, along with Blackberry.
Cheers
Orb

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm hoping RIM has a hit on their hands with the BB10. It may be a little too late to have a major impact, but I think they can sell enough to move into 3rd place. After that who knows what can happen. I'll be watching Wednesday.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
-- Keith, how come this thread is so quiet suddenly? ;):D

Here's an interesting link:

http://www.decryptedtech.com/news/s...jcm9uIjtpOjM7czoxMzoiYXBwbGUgc2Ftc3VuZyI7fQ==

and the best editorial I read on this soap opera so far - at the bottom of the article:

[Ed – We called it last year and will stand behind it. Apple reached too far and became very much like RAMBUS from the 90s. They were always going to end up with a pile of invalid patents or a company that no one wanted to work with. Based on the often ridiculous nature of their patents we expected the former and are still seeing the later. We still hope that Apple will get back to doing what they actually do be, take an existing idea and tweak it to make it a little better. Unfortunately they ended up believing their own marketing and are suffering for that in more ways that losing patents.]
Read more at http://www.decryptedtech.com/news/s...iYXBwbGUgc2Ftc3VuZyI7fQ==#txkt3MVhIMqvQSaf.99

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Samsung's $1B bill in Apple case reduced by $450M

By PAUL ELIAS, AP

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal judge on Friday slashed nearly half of the $1 billion damage award a jury ordered Samsung Electronics to pay Apple Inc. after a high-profile trial over the rights to the design and technology running some of the world's most popular smartphones and tablet computers.

U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh lowered the damages awarded to Apple Inc. by $450.5 million for 14 Samsung products including some products in its hot-selling Galaxy lineup, saying jurors had not properly followed her instruction in calculating some of the damages.

She also concluded that mistakes had been made in determining when Apple had first notified Samsung about the alleged violations of patents for its trend-setting iPhone and IPad.

Koh ordered a new trial to recalculate damages for those products.

"We are pleased that the court decided to strike $450,514,650 from the jury's award," Samsung spokeswoman Lauren Restuccia said. "Samsung intends to seek further review as to the remaining award."

Apple declined to comment on the Koh's ruling.

The ruling reduced Samsung Electronics' bill to just under $599 million. The judge said the tab will probably increase after the appeals of both companies are resolved.

Apple is seeking more damages and Samsung a complete dismissal of the case in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Washington, D.C.-based court that handles all patent appeals. The new trial to recalculate the damages could also increase the award.

Still, the ruling was the second significant setback in Koh's courtroom since the headline grabbing verdict was announced.

In December, Koh refused to order a sales ban on the products the jury found infringed Apple's patents. She said Apple failed to prove the purloined technology is what drove consumers to buy a Samsung product instead of an Apple iPhone or iPad. Samsung says that it is continues to sell only three of the two dozen products found to have infringed Apple's patents.

After a three-week trial closely followed in Silicon Valley, the jury decided that Samsung ripped off the trailblazing technology and sleek designs used by Apple to create its revolutionary iPhone and iPad. Jurors ordered Samsung to pay Apple $1.05 billion.

Apple filed another lawsuit last year accusing Samsung's newer line of products of continuing to use technology controlled by Apple. Koh has scheduled trial in that case for early next year. She has implored both companies on several occasions to settle their difference with little success.

Apple filed its patent infringement lawsuit in April 2011 and engaged legions of the country's highest-paid patent lawyers to demand $2.5 billion from its top smartphone competitor. Samsung Electronics Co. fired back with its own lawsuit seeking $399 million.

The jury found that several Samsung products illegally used such Apple creations as the "bounce-back" feature when a user scrolls to an end image, and the ability to zoom text with a tap of a finger.

Samsung has mounted an aggressive post-trial attack on the verdict, raising a number of legal issues that allege the South Korean company was treated unfairly in a federal courtroom a dozen miles from Apple's Cupertino headquarters. Samsung alleges that some of Apple's patents shouldn't have been awarded in the first place and that the jury made mistakes in calculating the damage award.

Samsung has emerged as one of Apple's biggest rivals and has overtaken it as the leading smartphone maker. Samsung's Galaxy line of phones run on Android, a mobile operating system that Google Inc. has given out for free to Samsung and other phone makers.

Apple and Samsung have filed similar lawsuits in eight other countries, including South Korea, Germany, Japan, Italy, the Netherlands, Britain, France and Australia.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
The award will go down even further. The USPTO has invalidated the bounce-back patent, which is just one of the many frivolous patents Apple used to attack Samsung in this case. I note that this article completely fails to mention the other aspects of this ruling which are under threat.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Sorry Steve, real life and my other hobbies have caught up with me :) I just bought a 5D Mk.3 camera and a few nice lenses to go with it! Oh yes, and my next model ship project is in the mail!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing