Samsung Galaxy Note!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ever since it came to light that Samsung was introducing a phone with a screensize to almost rival one of the smaller tablets it got my attention. Here would come a device that had the potential of offering the consumer a product that could say was an all-in-one solution. Time will tell if this new product segment will be successful, but from what I've seen I think it's a product that will be well received.

I spent some time with it today at the local RadioShack, which in Canada is now now called The Source, and owned by Bell Canada. I was very fortunate to actually have a sales associate that was extremely knowledgeable about the product and took the time to work with me hands-on. Lesley was a delight to deal with.

The phone is big, let's be clear about that. It is however not unmanageable or cumbersome, but will take some time getting used to. My hands are of average proportation and it only took a few minutes of handling the phone to get used to the larger size. It fit well into my jacket pocket and my jeans, so I really don't think its too large (as some on CNET and other sites have suggested). While it ain't small, it is surprisingly thin for a phone this size and it also isn't heavy IMO. It also has nice rounded/beveled corners which I like. So to me, from a portability perspective, I have no problem with the shape, size and weight of this phone.

The Samsung Galaxy Note comes with a stylus pen, a la Palm Pilot, which at first kinda threw me off and I didn't see the point :)p) of it. After playing with it I can see the benefit of it now. Hold and depress the pen onto the screen and you capture a screenshot, which you can then annotate, attach , save or send. Bring up a picture and with the pen you can annotate it and do like wise. Shake the phone during a conversation and it'll bring up the notepad to jot down names, numbers or whatever. Circle them and it sends it to your addressbook. I think I could grow to like this feature a lot.

It also has 2 cameras. 8MP for rear and 2MP (meh)for front. The 8MP camera also records in HD, which is something I would really really want in a phone or tablet. The quality is outstanding with its HD Super AMOLED screen.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note/index.html?type=find

It's an Andriod phone running Gingerbread, has Bluetooth, WiFi and USB 2 and runs in various configurations including 4G LTE. As long as it has Wifi I'm happy. Apparently it will also let you make phone calls, and it has lots of apps, although I could care less about that. I'm not an App guy...as long as I can do my banking, check my sports, news and music sites.

I'm due for a new phone in September, but I may just upgrade a little sooner.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wanted to wait for the new BB10 phones as I'd love to support RIM, but I was offered a deal on the Galaxy Note that I couldn't refuse. By switching providers (from Rogers to Bell) I got the phone for FREE! Rogers is charging me to exit my contract slightly early, but I also get a an additional $5/month saving from Bell for having multiple services. After the calculations I clearly come out ahead by making the switch.

Anyway, I love this phone. The larger size is just perfect for texting and much more comfortable in that regard. I changed the back cover to a custom matte finish one which is more slip resistent, and that helped quite a bit. The 5.3" screen is beautiful and after watching a few youtube videos I can see myself using this much more as a true media device. I tried out the camera today and am most impressed with the quality of it. Here's a sample:

Bad Wolf BBQ.jpg

Next up is learning how to utilize the S-Pen properly and figuring out how I can best apply it with my work files, which is what I use my phone for 75%-90% of the time. It should be an interesting exercise. This phone has features coming out the wazoo, which means I have a bit of a learning curve ahead me. Plus I'm new to Android....

Anyway, I just wanted to share my initial impressions and say how pleased I am with this product!

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
John.......I am impressed with the photo quality. I'd like to have a bite to eat at that food stand, too. I looked at the Galaxy Note last month, but it was just a bit too large for my hand. I decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy II Skyrocket. I've had it about 50 days now. I am very pleased with the way it functions, the photo and HD video quality, the application speed, and most of all the battery life. I am getting two days between charges with medium duty use. My previous Motorola Flipside was only good for about 8 hours, then needed to be charged again. The Galaxy II Skyrocket is a joy to use, and 4G LTE speed is very fast. Samsung is making great phones. It's good to know you are a happy Galaxy Note owner.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I haven't had as much time as I wanted to play with my phone, so I thought I'd pick this up. I also admit that I can get rather frustrated playing around with certain things when they don't work out like I hoped they would. This kind of guide is just what the doctor ordered.

001.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing