Sad News

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Brian Cheney of VMPS passed away according to his wife Shirley. VMPS will be closing but hopefully it can be revived by long time Cheney friend John Casler.

VMPS has always provided great sound with great value and Brian or "Big B" as he was affectionally called was a fantastic example of what customer service should be.

You'll be missed Big B. Rest in Peace.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Brian Cheney of VMPS passed away according to his wife Shirley. VMPS will be closing but hopefully it can be revived by long time Cheney friend John Casler.

VMPS has always provided great sound with great value and Brian or "Big B" as he was affectionally called was a fantastic example of what customer service should be.

You'll be missed Big B. Rest in Peace.

Wow sad news. Knew Brian was ill but not that ill :( One of the truly good guys in audio.

I also didn't realize that John Casler was that involved with VMPS. I know John as both a top notch personal trainer out in CA and as an audio dealer. Have to ask John what's up.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I suspect my recently purchased VMPS Larger Sub may have been his last or close to it. I'm happy to have been able to speak to him not long ago; he sounded good then at least.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
John, stand up guy that he is, is trying to put together the pieces to be able to service VMPS products for as long as he can. There's said to be investor interest in VMPS but I guess it is too early to deal with for Big B's family. My prayers go out to them. Yes Myles, he was truly one of the good guys.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I also didn't realize that John Casler was that involved with VMPS. I know John as both a top notch personal trainer out in CA and as an audio dealer. Have to ask John what's up.

John has pretty much been VMPS' "interface" for the US market for a few years now, has been a major setup contributor at shows where VMPS exhibited, etc. I know he's at least considering options for trying to keep some aspect of the VMPS brand going.

Oops, Jack beat me to it.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Met Brian at the CES about five or six years ago when he was sharing the room with James Bongiorno whom I had known for a long time from his Ampzilla days.

I guess we are all getting older and rest are accompanying us...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
From John Casler:

I really hated to post this news this morning.

If anyone wants to read or leave comments, I have a thread on the VMPS CIRCLE on AudioCircle.

Look here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112195.0

BRIAN's SONG: It is with great sadness that I must post Brian Cheney has passed
www.audiocircle.com

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yep, sad. From an audio standpoint, Brian was committed to value, a rare thing these days in the high end. My old RM40s were killer at 5k, embarrassing and revealing a lot of more expensive stuff to be compressed sounding, slow, and lacking in transparency. The 929s made a lot of the expensive standmounteds out there seem a cruel joke.

Casler's a good guy, I hope he can make something of it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing