Rudy van Gelder

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for that Myles! What about a potential successor? Is there anyone at all?

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
Nice article.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The last paragraph is interesting:

Before departing, this writer tried once again to pry Mr. Van Gelder's techniques loose. "All I can tell you is that when I achieved what I thought the musicians were trying to do, the sound sort of bloomed. When it's right, everything is beautiful. I was always searching for that point."
The Mommas and Papas talked of the same thing in a doco about them: when their harmonies coalesced just right they said that Harvey, I think that was the name they used, had come into the room -- there was a quality in the overtones that made it sound like there was an extra person singing ...

Frank

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I finally got it but it took very close to 10 minutes to get there,
and still the scrolling was anything but smooth! :(

* Perhaps it has some' to do with the Wall Street Journal.
Or my PC on this Sunday afternoon here on Vancouver Island ...

Anyway, took a very long time, but finally Rudy has an excellent background experience in music recordings in the era of the 78 and 33 1/3 records.
The Jazz scene from the 40s, 50s, and 60s was surely addictive. ...And still is. :b

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I finally got it but it took very close to 10 minutes to get there,
and still the scrolling was anything but smooth! :(

* Perhaps it has some' to do with the Wall Street Journal.
Or my PC on this Sunday afternoon here on Vancouver Island ...

Anyway, took a very long time, but finally Rudy has an excellent background experience in music recordings in the era of the 78 and 33 1/3 records.
The Jazz scene from the 40s, 50s, and 60s was surely addictive. ...And still is. :b

Think this sums up his philosophy (he's said this in different ways before) and maybe the difference between the recordings of the Golden Era and today:

"All I can tell you is that when I achieved what I thought the musicians were trying to do, the sound sort of bloomed.

For more info:

http://jazzstudiesonline.org/files/RudyVanGelder.pdf

or this:

http://www.jazz.com/features-and-interviews/2009/4/11/in-conversation-with-rudy-van-gelder

or this:

http://www.preservationsound.com/

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Myles. I've got so many albums recorded by Rudy van Gelder, it's nice to read a piece about how he started.

+1

At least as much as Rudy will reveal :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing