Room measurements

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I think the whole "notes running together" thing is more noticeable by its absence than presence. A fast bass run sounds much cleaner in a room that is less reflective, but most people prefer the sound in a livelier room as the notes tend to "ring" more. I used to do a lot of sound system installs for churches. Music sounded great in those big Gothic halls, but it was hard to understand the preacher with his voice ringing around the place.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think the whole "notes running together" thing is more noticeable by its absence than presence. A fast bass run sounds much cleaner in a room that is less reflective, but most people prefer the sound in a livelier room as the notes tend to "ring" more. I used to do a lot of sound system installs for churches. Music sounded great in those big Gothic halls, but it was hard to understand the preacher with his voice ringing around the place.
That is indeed the trade off. For voices, the RT60 times needs to be less than 0.1 seconds (a vowel is 0.08 seconds) whereas for music it can be as high as 0.6. And for sure it is the absence that teaches one the difference.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just got my USB mic that Amir recommended today. I'll try it out against my Earthworks M50

Dayton.JPG

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just got my USB mic that Amir recommended today. I'll try it out against my Earthworks M50

Coincidence? Mine left the customs a few hours ago, it will be delivered tomorrow morning! Looking for your comparative results.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
It must be "play with room measurements" time, because by calibrated EMM-6 arrived today! I'll grab a mic stand tomorrow and start playing with it soon. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe it is time to say : Les beaux esprits se rencontrent :cool:
Bob, are you happy?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
In the thread "Alexia's Are Here", my last post was a room measurement that I took tonight. I did back to back measurements with the Earthworks and the Dayton with calibration file.... You know what??? I coudn't see a difference.... I zoomed in on the 20-20k tracing and coudn't see 1dB of difference. Go figure.
So... Dayton UMM-6 is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! The best part is you don't need extra cables and outboard interface.

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
In the thread "Alexia's Are Here", my last post was a room measurement that I took tonight. I did back to back measurements with the Earthworks and the Dayton with calibration file.... You know what??? I coudn't see a difference.... I zoomed in on the 20-20k tracing and coudn't see 1dB of difference. Go figure.
So... Dayton UMM-6 is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! The best part is you don't need extra cables and outboard interface.
The problem with a USB mic is that you can't run a loop (input to output). Meaning that the time of flight will not be accurate.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The problem with a USB mic is that you can't run a loop (input to output). Meaning that the time of flight will not be accurate.

Well up against an Earthworks M50 and a Digital Audio Denmark AX24, it's too close to worry about it!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just shot my first video using my Nikon D5100 with the Nikon ME-1 stereo microphone and I should have looked at the specs better on the mic. It's only rated down to 70 Hz and sounds it. I need a better mic to use with my D5100. The video is currently uploading to YouTube and will be finished uploading some time next year. I will post a link when it's finished.

Bjorn

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Norway
Well up against an Earthworks M50 and a Digital Audio Denmark AX24, it's too close to worry about it!
Frequency response isn't the same as time domain. If that's what you were referring to.
Have you ran a loopback with the DAD and compared the time domain to the result with the Dayton?

One MUST account for the contribution of the instrumentation system to the total arrival time, such that it can be identified and substracted from the total measured time. Total arrival time - Actual TOF + propogation delay. Thus Total arriavel time - propagation delay = Actual TOF. Looback provides the propagation delay. Difference of the time of the loopback from the total measured arrival time= the actual TOF

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Cool . id like to see the result ,as i am also going to buy a dslr camera with video function .
The first great advantage of a external mike is that you dont hear the camera noise through the recording .
So i m gonna buy a external as well , i found this one although it also drops below 60 hz , but not like a stone .
It can also be ordered with a 3,5 mm pin , iirc

It looks like 5 db down at 20 hz .solid line

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/ntg-2

I just shot my first video using my Nikon D5100 with the Nikon ME-1 stereo microphone and I should have looked at the specs better on the mic. It's only rated down to 70 Hz and sounds it. I need a better mic to use with my D5100. The video is currently uploading to YouTube and will be finished uploading some time next year. I will post a link when it's finished.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Cool . id like to see the result ,as i am also going to buy a dslr camera with video function .
The first great advantage of a external mike is that you dont hear the camera noise through the recording .
So i m gonna buy a external as well , i found this one although it also drops below 60 hz , but not like a stone .
It can also be ordered with a 3,5 mm pin , iirc

It looks like 5 db down at 20 hz .solid line

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/ntg-2

I wouldn't recommend the Nikon ME-1 unless you wanted to buy mine and then of course I would tell you how great it is! :D By the way, I did post a video under "Reel to Reel" that shows my Otari MX-55 playing back a 15 ips 2 track tape from the Josh Berman Trio that was made from my Nikon D5100/Nikon EM-1.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) So... Dayton UMM-6 is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! The best part is you don't need extra cables and outboard interface.

I am also very pleased with - Amir recommendation was great. I have calibrated it using the supplied file and a reference soundmeter, but as the digital output level is very low, I receive in every measurement one warning of REW, stating that the level is too low. Is there any way to avoid it?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I am also very pleased with - Amir recommendation was great. I have calibrated it using the supplied file and a reference soundmeter, but as the digital output level is very low, I receive in every measurement one warning of REW, stating that the level is too low. Is there any way to avoid it?

I had to go into my Control Panel under "Sound and Audio Devices". Under "Audio" you have an option for "Sound Recording" and there it will list the UMM-6. This it will allow you to increase the input sensitivity.

Also if you're using REW, go into your Preferences page and on the right hand side it will say "Control Input/Mixer Volume" and below that "Input Volume"

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I had to go into my Control Panel under "Sound and Audio Devices". Under "Audio" you have an option for "Sound Recording" and there it will list the UMM-6. This it will allow you to increase the input sensitivity.

Also if you're using REW, go into your Preferences page and on the right hand side it will say "Control Input/Mixer Volume" and below that "Input Volume"

Just did it at the Control Panel - thanks! It seems that default after installation was very low.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That is a limitation technically but there is little reason to look at the time domain that way. If you want to know the position of reflections you can determine them geometrically and at any rate, one can do that work without even measuring!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing