Rock and Drum videos thread

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Nice. What recording equipment did you use?
I’m posting videos for fun, so no investment in audio gear other than my iPhone 13 pro max. I have some other new vids over in the Rhapsody Listening Room thread.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I’m posting videos for fun, so no investment in audio gear other than my iPhone 13 pro max. I have some other new vids over in the Rhapsody Listening Room thread.
Well, "well done" :)

I checked out some of your other videos on your channel. The Ben Webster/Coleman Hawkins track was played with the same speakers, but the results were maybe not quite to the level of that Steely Dan video - hard to put my finger on it. It could be that I am not used to the vinyl version, or some other factor. Anyway, it still sounds very good.

Reactions: Bobvin

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Well, "well done" :)

I checked out some of your other videos on your channel. The Ben Webster/Coleman Hawkins track was played with the same speakers, but the results were maybe not quite to the level of that Steely Dan video - hard to put my finger on it. It could be that I am not used to the vinyl version, or some other factor. Anyway, it still sounds very good.
Thanks for the kind words. The MCA Audiophile label only published a half dozen titles, wikipedia has some details. This pressing of Gaucho really is a special one for sure. I really like the Ben Webster / Coleman Hawkins LP, the tonality and phrasing of the two artists really comes through. It does say a lot that performances and pressings can bring some music to life.

No small part of what you hear is the Vyger turntable. Adding that completely changed my system, and put a sizable gap between my analogue and digital source.

Reactions: Lagonda and pjwd

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Cool. Can you play the same with your Diesis setup?
I‘m hoping to create a small group of songs and replicate the videos with Diesis and other speakers, no change other than speakers. Flavors & tastes.

The Alsyvox are quite special, imho, for their remarkable coherence and balance.

Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I‘m hoping to create a small group of songs and replicate the videos with Diesis and other speakers, no change other than speakers. Flavors & tastes.

The Alsyvox are quite special, imho, for their remarkable coherence and balance.

this doesn’t make sense, Diesis should have different amps to optimise it compared to Alsyvox. And different preamp to optimise the amp. You can’t fit such different speakers in the same chain - unless you are saying pilium is the best for Diesis too

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Agree that Diesis will likely respond better with other electronics than the Alsyvox. The open baffle woofers are probably overdamped with a high damping factor amp like the Pilium. I would expect best bass response with a damping factor of < 10.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
this doesn’t make sense, Diesis should have different amps to optimise it compared to Alsyvox. And different preamp to optimise the amp. You can’t fit such different speakers in the same chain - unless you are saying pilium is the best for Diesis too
Perhaps so Ked, but one of the great things about Pilium is that it sounds really great driving lots of speakers — Alsyvox, Bayz, Diesis, Odeon, Lorenzo, and many others. This means someone interested in a new set of speakers need not sell their amplification chain (unless they only have fantasy system in their head and not actually own a system of their own. ;) )

I know this is WBF, but I’m not making any claims about “best” only posting a few videos for fun. I listen to videos on my iPad others maybe through their big rigs and can suss out fine details and then argue about it on forums.

The Pilium kit is, imho, remarkably “neutral“ sounding with a “liquidity” absent many SS offerings. When my Triode Labs 45 EVO integrated arrives and gets run-in I’ll post the same songs with it driving the Diesis, Heretic too.

I’ll post for fun and because others seem to enjoy it. Others can pontificate, as they are prone to do.

I also do not think someone whose primary genre is rock is likely to choose Diesis. Same for someone who listens to electronica or “house” music. I have not done it but Bob in Brooklyn has added subs (I think REL 31s) to his Diesis and loves the sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have not done it but Bob in Brooklyn has added subs (I think REL 31s) to his Diesis and loves the sound.
Chris also has REL subs.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Perhaps so Ked, but one of the great things about Pilium is that it sounds really great driving lots of speakers — Alsyvox, Bayz, Diesis, Odeon, Lorenzo, and many others. This means someone interested in a new set of speakers need not sell their amplification chain (unless they only have fantasy system in their head and not actually own a system of their own. ;) )

I know this is WBF, but I’m not making any claims about “best” only posting a few videos for fun. I listen to videos on my iPad others maybe through their big rigs and can suss out fine details and then argue about it on forums.

The Pilium kit is, imho, remarkably “neutral“ sounding with a “liquidity” absent many SS offerings. When my Triode Labs 45 EVO integrated arrives and gets run-in I’ll post the same songs with it driving the Diesis, Heretic too.

I’ll post for fun and because others seem to enjoy it. Others can pontificate, as they are prone to do.

I also do not think someone whose primary genre is rock is likely to choose Diesis. Same for someone who listens to electronica or “house” music. I have not done it but Bob in Brooklyn has added subs (I think REL 31s) to his Diesis and loves the sound.
Do you also have Odeons in house? My extensive experience with the brand leads me to believe a good match with SET but not SS.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Do you also have Odeons in house? My extensive experience with the brand leads me to believe a good match with SET but not SS.
Bob in Brooklyn has a couple models of Odeon, I think David in Sausalito too. I’ll likely bring in Lorenzo before Odeon. I have some Heretic 612s on the way.

My experience with SET amps is embryonic so looking forward to learning once my amp arrives in a couple weeks.

All said, do not discount Pilium. Neutral liquid sounding capable of driving toughest (or easiest) loads. I’m sure an exception exist somewhere but I know Bob.east has put them on at least a dozen speakers with great results.

My own experience in audio never included making wholesale change to my entire system until becoming involved with Rhapsody. I expect many audiophiles would be happy to have amplification that plays so well with others, and making speaker change not necessitating wholesale changes. I get it though, going from inefficient speaker topology to high efficiency designs might also invite amp changes. Invite, hopefully not require.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Bob in Brooklyn has a couple models of Odeon, I think David in Sausalito too. I’ll likely bring in Lorenzo before Odeon. I have some Heretic 612s on the way.

My experience with SET amps is embryonic so looking forward to learning once my amp arrives in a couple weeks.

All said, do not discount Pilium. Neutral liquid sounding capable of driving toughest (or easiest) loads. I’m sure an exception exist somewhere but I know Bob.east has put them on at least a dozen speakers with great results.

My own experience in audio never included making wholesale change to my entire system until becoming involved with Rhapsody. I expect many audiophiles would be happy to have amplification that plays so well with others, and making speaker change not necessitating wholesale changes. I get it though, going from inefficient speaker topology to high efficiency designs might also invite amp changes. Invite, hopefully not require.
I have heard Pilium on a couple different speakers…

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Well, Pilium sure works with Alsyvox, that much is for sure. And the Vyger table has DRIVE so it can really rock!

A little more from Gaucho… Babylon Sisters

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Such a classic. If you've got a macbook and headphones, I suggest cranking it one notch below max volume.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing