Robert Harley votes Magico Q-7 product of the year

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I just got back from CES and had read the absolute sound when I was resting in my hotel room. He gave the Q-7 product of the year along with a great write up. The first day of the show I did "The Show" at the Flamingo. It was a rather small show with maybe 60 to 80 vendors.

The next day I headed out to the Venetian. I was really curious about the Q-7 so I headed up to their room to give them a listen. I don't know how to put this so I'll just be honest with you. They sounded terrible. Sure the rooms aren't perfect and nothing about the show was perfect. But at least I thought they would sound decent. How Mr.Harley can rate these product of the year is besides me. I might not be the most astute audiophile here or the most technically Inclined but my hearing is still decent. Plus I have heard a lot of equipment in my day and have a reference point.

I walked the show some more and thought to myself I have to hear those speakers again. (I had not eaten lunch at the time I heard them and I was late on some medication I take) I thought maybe those two factors might have thrown me off.

Well, they didn't. They sounded just as bad the 2nd time. Mr. Harley is well respected in audiophile circles so this recommendation
really befuddles me.

Hello, taters. Do you happen to remember what selections they were playing at the time of your observations?

Tom

Befuddled ....... :)

You heard what you heard boss, if it sounded crappy to you , then it did, no need to second guess yourself, if you think RH opinion has weight , then give it another listen. I 'm sure no one is ready to condemn the Q7 because of this just yet ...

Regards,

I just got back from CES and had read the absolute sound when I was resting in my hotel room. He gave the Q-7 product of the year along with a great write up. The first day of the show I did "The Show" at the Flamingo. It was a rather small show with maybe 60 to 80 vendors.

The next day I headed out to the Venetian. I was really curious about the Q-7 so I headed up to their room to give them a listen. I don't know how to put this so I'll just be honest with you. They sounded terrible. Sure the rooms aren't perfect and nothing about the show was perfect. But at least I thought they would sound decent. How Mr.Harley can rate these product of the year is besides me. I might not be the most astute audiophile here or the most technically Inclined but my hearing is still decent. Plus I have heard a lot of equipment in my day and have a reference point.

I walked the show some more and thought to myself I have to hear those speakers again. (I had not eaten lunch at the time I heard them and I was late on some medication I take) I thought maybe those two factors might have thrown me off.

Well, they didn't. They sounded just as bad the 2nd time. Mr. Harley is well respected in audiophile circles so this recommendation
really befuddles me.

Taters, I doubt that you can really get a true idea as to what the Q7's sounded like in a hotel room setting. The Venetian's rooms are IMO not that conducive to great sound. Plus, If I remember correctly, the hotel severely restricts the power availability to each of their rooms. Your findings really don't surprise me, as I think most large speakers struggle in the typical Venetian suite. More than likely the Q7's were not liking the room. OTOH, RH's glowing review of this speaker is a tad over the top, IMO it's a good one, BUT NOT that great. Particularly when you factor in the price:(.

Hello, taters. Do you happen to remember what selections they were playing at the time of your observations?

Tom

I really can't remember what they were playing. All I know is that I was disappointed after reading Mr. Harleys endorsement.

The only reason I mentioned this was that I have selections that sound........well, like crap to be honest. Yet, I still listen to them because of the musical content. When I go from something like this to an outstandingly well recorded selection, the change can be an eye opener as to what the rig can really do. I'm not in any way suggesting that this was the one and only issue but this is one thing I have to keep in mind myself when observing what a system can or can not do. It was just my first thought when you mentioned RH's observations compared to that of your own ears.

FWIW.

Tom

The Q7's sound bad ? I find that hard to believe....even in a hotel room. Anyone else hear the setup ?

are they on permanent loan to him and if so did he sell his X-2's

are they on permanent loan to him and if so did he sell his X-2's

Are you referring to Robert Harley?

He has never owned or purchased a reference speaker. He owns
none of the electronics, cables, or accessories in his sysem. The X-2 were on
long term loan, and so are the Q7s.

Publications sometimes trade ad space for gear. So that is a possibility.

However, consider that leaving them at Harley's for a year or two is essentially
very good publicity and advertising for Magico.

I think he voted it best of the last 23 years.

Last edited:
I never believe reviewers. No disrespect to some of our esteemed members here. What I do is read the review, and if it gets my attention, I research the heck out of the reviewed item, and then try and listen to it. But, as we all know, that is not always possible. So, I read and research more.

I dont really understand why magico doesnt demonstrate with tubes ??
I dont know which constellation amp they showed , but having a quick look at the website i see merely SS amps
Put some zanden 9600 monos before them and a 3000 pre and a weis or zanden dac or even better a topanalogue system, and other systems get " a blast to the past " :D a little exxageration
Magicos dont have warmth you have to bring it in

Other candidates :

ARC
BAT
CJ

Last edited:
I never believe reviewers. No disrespect to some of our esteemed members here. What I do is read the review, and if it gets my attention, I research the heck out of the reviewed item, and then try and listen to it. But, as we all know, that is not always possible. So, I read and research more.

It seems to me that "read and research" (for high-end audio today) means reading "reviews" of one kind or another (unless you mean the maufacturer's published information?)

I think he voted it best of the last 23 years.

He said it was the single most impressive product that he came across in 23 years.

This CES was the first I saw (and heard) a pair in person. I could not not get over how large they are. Robert H's pics on the TAS site need to have Robert in the photo for scale. IIRC, I had my camera person shoot video of me next to them. There was a buzz about them for sure, from other reviewers and attendees.

I dont know which constellation amp they showed , but having a quick look at the website i see merely SS amps
Put some zanden 9600 monos before them and a 3000 pre and a weis or zanden dac or even better a topanalogue system, and other systems get " a blast to the past " :D a little exxageration

Other candidates :

ARC
BAT
CJ

Magico didn't show the Q7 at CES. They just showed the new S1 in their own room.
The Q7 were displayed by Constellation in their room, so by definition they had to be run with Constellation....
I have been to CES 8 times out of the last 10 years (not for fun...) and it is by far the worst show if you want to hear how a piece of gear sound. Venetian rooms (and power supply) are just terrible.
I personally dismiss whatever i hear at CES and go to listen to gears in good dealer rooms.

Other candidates :

ARC
BAT
CJ

I don't think Alon believes tubes will show off the speaker's low end to its fullest. Plus it seems that most, if not all Magicos, need prodigious amounts of high quality power. I once heard the Q1s driven by the Viva amps and the sound left a lot to be desired. Way too pretty if you know what I mean. So it's a lot easier to use a SS rather than a beast of a tube amp with its heat and tube issues.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing