RMAF: The Interocitor Saved My Life

SMcAudio

Feb 10, 2012
southern California
www.SMcAudio.com
Thanks Steve and Gary :)

I visited the SMC website and it says SMC isn't selling any new products. The message is a bit confusing. Has SMC stopped production or has it gone to a non-direct distribution model?

My apologies, Jack. My website needs some serious updating and I haven't been able to get to it - something I will have to work on soon. The current website is primarily for promoting the upgrade work, but you can always contact me directly by email for further information - SMcAudio at pacbell dot net

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No problem Steve. I'll e-mail you soon.

Best,

Jack

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Is it possible with a SS XLR only amp and RCA only tube pre to amke custom cables: XLR on one side and RCA on the other?

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Yes, that's what I'm talking about, with the sort of price I would have expected. Now, it's only a transformer so here something like a Lundahl should do the trick with the right quality, for hopefully somewhat less than that price. I'm not disputing that you needed a solution, merely that the pricing is exactly what gives the audio game a bad name.

Frank

Well, I use Audio consulting, considered by many as (way too) expensive. However, there are so many issues here at stake - maybe Steve MC has a similar attitude, like Audio Consulting (who are handwinding their transformers to incredible high norms in high price Switzerland.)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Is it possible with a SS XLR only amp and RCA only tube pre to amke custom cables: XLR on one side and RCA on the other?

Yes.... but which combination are you going to take to? Pin 1 to RCA ground? Short pin 3 to ground or leave hanging? Or Pin 3 to RCA ground and Pin 1 to interconnect shield? Or both pin 3 and pin 1 to interconnect shield? They are all "correct".

With the Interocitor, pins 2 and 3 drive the transformer primary windings, then two switches allow you to ground or lift pin 1 on the input side, and ground or lift ground on the output side.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, I use Audio consulting, considered by many as (way too) expensive. However, there are so many issues here at stake - maybe Steve MC has a similar attitude, like Audio Consulting (who are handwinding their transformers to incredible high norms in high price Switzerland.)

egidius, there are some on this board who do not believe that they can hear a difference. Hence, they think that higher price and quality than they can hear gives audio a bad name.

SMcAudio

Feb 10, 2012
southern California
www.SMcAudio.com

You can make custom XLR-to-RCA cables or use a simple adapter, but that won't give you balanced operation - the connection is still unbalanced. You need something like the Interocitor / Flex-Connect (a balancing transformer) or an active converter to achieve balanced performance. A good transformer can do this job extremely well and give you the added benefit of ground isolation between your amp and preamp, but really good ones (as noted previously) are expensive.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
You can make custom XLR-to-RCA cables or use a simple adapter, but that won't give you balanced operation - the connection is still unbalanced. You need something like the Interocitor / Flex-Connect (a balancing transformer) or an active converter to achieve balanced performance. A good transformer can do this job extremely well and give you the added benefit of ground isolation between your amp and preamp, but really good ones (as noted previously) are expensive.

Thanks for reponse guys, much appreciated. But, a XLR to RCA cable will work, even if it will not be balanced? My tube preamp is not balanced anyway.

SMcAudio

Feb 10, 2012
southern California
www.SMcAudio.com
Yes, this will typically work as an unbalanced connection. You can try this with an RCA-to-XLR (female-to-male) adapter (readily available at musician supply stores and Radio Shack) and your usual unbalanced interconnect cables. Your amplifier's owner's manual may include information on using such adapters. Typically, the adapter will connect the RCA hot and ground to XLR pins 2 and 1 respectively. XLR pin 3 need not be grounded, although this may be suggested as a good idea by the amplifier manufacturer. If this does work as expected, you can look into having your cables re-terminated with XLRs on the amp end, or otherwise upgrading the quality of the adapter. It should be noted that your amplifier is apparently designed to be driven with a balanced signal, and so you may not realize its full performance when running it unbalanced.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for reponse guys, much appreciated. But, a XLR to RCA cable will work, even if it will not be balanced? My tube preamp is not balanced anyway.

Hi Marinjim, Yes that will work. I have a CJ preamp (SE only) and a Gryphon amp (XLR only), and i had an RCA IC reterminated at one end with Xhadow XLRs...would not change anything now. Enjoy the music and, among other things, absolutely quiet with no signal playing the but the volume at 45...and that is with 26db and 31db of gain and 95db sensitive speakers. i thought with tubes, high sensivities and unbalanced, i might get some noise but fortunately not. Good luck...just one person's experience.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I found another use for the Interocitor yesterday. While setting up the display for CES, I found the need to have two different components driven by the same DAC. In this case, I had the prototype of the M2Tech Young DSD to drive both a Roksan Oxygene integrated amplifier as well as a M2Tech Marley headphones amplifier.

We had a Y-cable on hand, but not a good quality one.

Enter the Interocitor (Flex-Connect). It took the balanced output of the Young for input, and we attached a XLR-RCA adaptor to the balanced output. Switched the output to unbalanced, and used both outputs.

Small System.jpg

Voila! Two single-ended amplifiers driven by one balanced source.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thread revival
I have been helpfully advised the Interocitor could also save my bacon
(hat tip to Microstrip)
I wonder, is it still in production?
I have emailed Steve via his website. Fingers crossed!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good news...last time I checked with Steve directly (only a few months ago), it was. We went a different direction so we ended up cancelling the order, and Steve was a complete gentleman about it. Hope it works out for you!

I see in your signature block you are acquiring a Tripoint? Any details...sounds interesting!

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Brilliant, thank you Lloyd

Talking about the Tripoint may be a little previous at this stage....I've paid about a third so far, anxious i don't tempt fate by speaking too soon. Many a slip twixt cup and lip....
However it's the Elite model with the Empress wiring upgrade, purchased from Plasmod via the classifieds on here, and realistically it will be at least six months before it arrives, possibly closer to nine months.

I'm following in your footsteps Lloyd.....are you aware of any other Tripoint owners in the UK?
How do you find your unit?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, a very 'reserved' best wishes with that then! I hope you will find the Tripoint as sensational as I do. Set it and forget it. In fact, at some point, I would like to revisit the Tripoint side of the system equation and possible look at bringing on a 2nd one or trading-in for something a bit bigger. I have something like 14 connections on 3 lugs...trust me, not easy!

And by the way, I still need to come back to you on the 4 Velodyne DD18+s! I am thinking (given room space requirements) of dual Funk 18.2s...dual-opposing 18" cones but in the same size cube as the DD18+ but with 2 of them, that then brings us to 4 x 18" cones. When that day comes, I will be sure to seek more specific guidance from you!

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Well, a very 'reserved' best wishes with that then! I hope you will find the Tripoint as sensational as I do. Set it and forget it. In fact, at some point, I would like to revisit the Tripoint side of the system equation and possible look at bringing on a 2nd one or trading-in for something a bit bigger. I have something like 14 connections on 3 lugs...trust me, not easy!

And by the way, I still need to come back to you on the 4 Velodyne DD18+s! I am thinking (given room space requirements) of dual Funk 18.2s...dual-opposing 18" cones but in the same size cube as the DD18+ but with 2 of them, that then brings us to 4 x 18" cones. When that day comes, I will be sure to seek more specific guidance from you!
Can't wait. I'm all yours?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome! Thank you. Look forward to that. Gotta get the K160s and the Wilson XLFs calibrated/set up first. Mid-August.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing