MSB Reference as an input to a Phono Pre

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I am about to pull the trigger on a MSB Reference DAC. My question is this. What's the possibility of running my Pass XP-27 phono pre into this DACs balanced analog input? Does the signal stay in analog domain or is it converted to digital some how? I've read a lot about whether to run the DAC directly to power amps or to a Preamp. I'll be able to test that with my VAC pre but any thoughts would be helpful.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I’m using my MSB Premiere directly to MSB S202 and my BHK Pre has been shut off since weeks. No regrets, that’s a perfect match.
The problem is: each time I want to play a record I need to swap XLR cables and switch the pre on.

Like you, I’d be really happy to upgrade to the Reference. If I’m not wrong the Reference with the pre module on board is able to let the signal pass through completely analog, without any sort of digital alteration, in this way I could connect the Phono to it and sell the BHK Pre.

Maybe other Reference owners out there can confirm.

Reactions: ScottK

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I’m using my MSB Premiere directly to MSB S202 and my BHK Pre has been shut off since weeks. No regrets, that’s a perfect match.
The problem is: each time I want to play a record I need to swap XLR cables and switch the pre on.

Like you, I’d be really happy to upgrade to the Reference. If I’m not wrong the Reference with the pre module on board is able to let the signal pass through completely analog, without any sort of digital alteration, in this way I could connect the Phono to it and sell the BHK Pre.

Maybe other Reference owners out there can confirm.
Thanks Luca, I have a second system with The BHK pre, it's a great unit. It's good to hear that you prefer the MSB with a Phono Pre. I'm hoping to eliminate my VAC but I'm concerned I'll lose the tube analog impact.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
In prior setups I tried my MSB both direct to my amps and separately through a VTL 7.5 II preamp. While direct was more incisive, the “tube goodness” was something I just couldn’t give up.

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
To be honest, I preferred the BHK Pre in the chain when I was using the PS Audio mono amps. On the contrary when I replaced them with the MSB S202, as expected, I found more pleasant the sound without the Pre. I suppose the combo MSB DAC + MSB AMP makes the difference.
It’s fun rolling tubes to experiment different nuances or tonalities, I miss it a bit, but I largely prefer whatI’m hearing now: silence, profound infinite silence and a so liquid sound.

To comment your last post, still never heard the Phono Pre via MSB DAC. The Premiere I own hasn’t analog inputs, this is the reason why I’m looking on the horizon for an upgrade like the Reference. Like you I’d be curious to read what other Reference owner think about vinyl reproduction via MSB DAC.

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
I run my phono preamp (a Jeff Rowland Cadence with battery PSU) through the constant impedance analog volume control of my MSB Technology Reference DAC. It is the most transparent volume control for an analog source that I have experienced. You will hear even more of what your phono preamp can do under these circumstances but be sure that it has sufficient gain for your particular cartridge and power amplifier.

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
I run my phono preamp (a Jeff Rowland Cadence with battery PSU) through the constant impedance analog volume control of my MSB Technology Reference DAC. It is the most transparent volume control for an analog source that I have experienced. You will hear even more of what your phono preamp can do under these circumstances but be sure that it has sufficient gain for your particular cartridge and power amplifier.
Totally agree. I don’t use any preamp since I got the MSB analogue constant impedance volume. Even better empathy now, with my self powered speakers.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Well just pulled the trigger on a MSB Reference DAC. Now will be able to report my own findings!

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Well just pulled the trigger on a MSB Reference DAC. Now will be able to report my own findings!
Congrats, can’t wait to read your thoughts about it!

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
You won’t regret it. Besides the consistent SQ, MSB has a top level support client service, led by Jonathan and Daniel.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Scott!

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I will confess I was very skeptical about the degree of improvement I would capture with a very High-end DAC. After all I loved my current DAC the Terminator Plus. Frequently I said to myself "how could it get much better"? Well my new MSB Reference DAC arrived last night.

When I installed it into my system I thought I had left the pre volume at 0 so I would have time to select the first play. After making all the connections I plugged in the power cord. Suddenly I heard music at extremely low volume...... it didn't get turned off completely. I knew within a few seconds this was going to be a very special DAC. I love inserting a new component into the system and hearing it for the first time. After living with its predecessor for several years, I knew immediately that this was a significant improvement. I savored this feeling for several hours before it started becoming the new normal. Simply stated I noticed this; 1) the Bass was more defined and intense (how is that possible?), 2) now here's the important thing, the mids had more air and weight, it sounds like vinyl, 3) the highs now sounded real instead of flashes of brightness, and 4) the soundstage became more precise and the holographic presentation just become more real and relaxed. My plan is to continue listening with the unit played through my VAC pre in order to fully understand the sound signature. I will then put the Reference in as my system pre to see which I prefer. Many thanks to PK and Ron for their fabulous DAC shoot out and Mike's keen observations and experience.

Dasmania

Feb 14, 2021
Currently using an Allnic tube phono stage with Lyra Etna SL and MSL SUT To the mm section- directly to the MSB reference analog input to MSB M 202 and then Alsyvox Botticelli. Absolutely transparent , musical and holographic. Vince Galbo once said to me “wait till you hear your turntable through our passive preamp”. He was not exaggerating. In my systems and experience the best I’ve heard. Now I’m wondering what the digital director brings in the digital domain

soarsz

Jun 28, 2021
Currently using an Allnic tube phono stage with Lyra Etna SL and MSL SUT To the mm section- directly to the MSB reference analog input to MSB M 202 and then Alsyvox Botticelli. Absolutely transparent , musical and holographic. Vince Galbo once said to me “wait till you hear your turntable through our passive preamp”. He was not exaggerating. In my systems and experience the best I’ve heard. Now I’m wondering what the digital director brings in the digital domain
I have a similar system with Alsyvox Botticelli X, Pilium electronics and MSB Reference (late model with 33 femto clock). I do run through my Pilium preamp and am using the Taiko Extreme server with switch. I recently tried (and bought) the Reference Digital Director. After a bit of break-in time (maybe 15-20 hours) the changes were very noticeable. The total cubic volume of sound stage must have doubled. It was meaningfully deeper toward the back, and very noticeably thrust forward out into the room and to the sides beyond the speakers as well. Bass was more dynamic and a detailed; plucked bass string buzz detail could be better appreciated. Images are more focused so that a centered singer is more clearly there and the right size. Elements of music on the sides were also well defined. All this without a trace of edginess. I have found myself listening at louder levels than before just because it is so pleasant to do so compared to without the DD. Hope this helps. But my advice is don't listen unless you are prepared to buy.

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
I have a similar system with Alsyvox Botticelli X, Pilium electronics and MSB Reference (late model with 33 femto clock). I do run through my Pilium preamp and am using the Taiko Extreme server with switch. I recently tried (and bought) the Reference Digital Director. After a bit of break-in time (maybe 15-20 hours) the changes were very noticeable. The total cubic volume of sound stage must have doubled. It was meaningfully deeper toward the back, and very noticeably thrust forward out into the room and to the sides beyond the speakers as well. Bass was more dynamic and a detailed; plucked bass string buzz detail could be better appreciated. Images are more focused so that a centered singer is more clearly there and the right size. Elements of music on the sides were also well defined. All this without a trace of edginess. I have found myself listening at louder levels than before just because it is so pleasant to do so compared to without the DD. Hope this helps. But my advice is don't listen unless you are prepared to buy.
Couldn’t agree more!

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
. I do run through my Pilium preamp and am using the Taiko Extreme server with switch. I recently tried (and bought) the Reference Digital Director. After a bit of break-in time (maybe 15-20 hours) the changes were very noticeable.
Curious what improved SQ the most. DD vs Taiko Extreme?

Dasmania

Feb 14, 2021
Gentleman, For your viewing pleasure .
the super tweeters are the Kan sound lab from Japan - makes EVERY speaker more holographic and dimensional

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    903.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

soarsz

Jun 28, 2021
Curious what improved SQ the most. DD vs Taiko Extreme?
Sorry, can't help with Director vs Taiko Extreme as I have no other digital source than the Taiko. My extreme has the upgraded USB card, switch with upgraded NIC card, Pro USB to Pro ISL connection, and I run XDMS (Taiko proprietary player software). Each Taiko upgrade produced appreciable improved sound quality. The improvement in SQ with the DD was greater than any one Taiko upgrade by a significant degree. The DD changes were not subtle.

Googaliser

VIP/Donor
Mar 31, 2019
I will confess I was very skeptical about the degree of improvement I would capture with a very High-end DAC. After all I loved my current DAC the Terminator Plus. Frequently I said to myself "how could it get much better"? Well my new MSB Reference DAC arrived last night.

When I installed it into my system I thought I had left the pre volume at 0 so I would have time to select the first play. After making all the connections I plugged in the power cord. Suddenly I heard music at extremely low volume...... it didn't get turned off completely. I knew within a few seconds this was going to be a very special DAC. I love inserting a new component into the system and hearing it for the first time. After living with its predecessor for several years, I knew immediately that this was a significant improvement. I savored this feeling for several hours before it started becoming the new normal. Simply stated I noticed this; 1) the Bass was more defined and intense (how is that possible?), 2) now here's the important thing, the mids had more air and weight, it sounds like vinyl, 3) the highs now sounded real instead of flashes of brightness, and 4) the soundstage became more precise and the holographic presentation just become more real and relaxed. My plan is to continue listening with the unit played through my VAC pre in order to fully understand the sound signature. I will then put the Reference in as my system pre to see which I prefer. Many thanks to PK and Ron for their fabulous DAC shoot out and Mike's keen observations and experience.
Hi Scott,

Congratulations on the new addition! Have also gone all-in on an MSB DAC and concur with your observations. Was also cautious in terms of expectations - but they have been well and truly exceeded. Your listening room is still one of my favourites btw. Look forward to your journey with the MSB. Am already asking myself about the Digital Director but suspect we are getting well into the incremental return domain and will just enjoy the music for now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing