RIP Eddie Van Halen

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
God, that's no way to go. We have a friend who is making a tentative recovery after radiotherapy, and she's been thru Hell. I can only imagine what Eddie's poor family are feeling.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
What a bummer, one of my favorite guitar players of all time. Everyone knows that he's a great soloist, but his rhythm guitar playing is the best ever IMO.

2020...the hits keep coming.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
RIP

not many know this cover, very good, vocals aside

Reactions: Al M.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
He was my guitar idol as a teenager. I tried (pathetically so) to copy all his songs and solos. I stood in line with my high school friends for 10 hrs to see them on the 1984 tour when the seating was general admission. I got 5th row and Eddies side of the stage! Sadly it appears that a lifetime of cigarette smoking finally caught up with him. :(

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My electrician happened to be the electrician for Eddie Van Halen's band...some great stories. Btw these guys are all analog tube freaks. I was lucky enough to see Eddie in Reno, RIP Eddie

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Stunning. Wow. He instantly and forever redefined what rock guitar was all about on Van Halen I. RIP EVH.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Freakin cancer works anywhere. RIP.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Sad to see this news. Still recall the first time I heard Eruption. Had to go back and forth a few times trying to imagine how it is played. RIP Eddie ...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I have a pretty cool EVH story, I will share this weekend when I have more time.

This from Rock Legend himself Ritchie Blackmore.

Eddie Van Halen was a brilliant guitarist who started a technique of guitar playing which was emulated by a whole generation of guitarists. He was one of the nicest musicians I ever met in the music business. Very shy and not at all conceited about his ability as a guitar player. Frank Zappa said he reinvented the guitar. I agree. He will be sadly missed but his brilliant legacy will always be remembered. The ultimate guitar hero.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing