RIP Bobby Palkovich - Merlin Music Systems

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
RIP Bobby... and my condolences to his family and friends.

I met him and heard his system a few times at RMAF, it was always a very nice sounding system. I included him among my favorite rooms at RMAF one year in my AudioCircle reviews and he was nice enough to send me a message thanking me for the review.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
RIP

I didn;t know him or his systems. I do however see many luminaries of High End Audio going out ... Who are they passing the torch to?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Many moons ago, I had the pleasure of listening to a pair of Bobby's very first speakers. At the time, they were a small tower with simple off the shelf drivers. Nothing exotic at all, but I remember thinking that even though there were a number of better speakers available, these had promise and were an excellent first effort. I subsequently bought into the Hales line and never looked back, but i remember fondly this first encounter. Having heard many of Merlin's later itineration's, I can definitely say that the high end hobby lost a great designer with excellent ears when Bobby passed. RIP Bobby Palkovich.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Very sad news. I did meet him at RMAF a few years ago. I didn't think he was very old so I'm assuming he fell ill?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, that is what it says on the Audio Beat news brief. Very sad.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I am truly saddened. I cut my high end teeth working at Paul Heath Audio in Rochester during college in the early 70s. And of course, Bobby was sort of a local legend. In fact, he and Paul lived not that far apart outside the city and I believe enjoyed good rapport. He not only produced some fine, award-winning speakers at a modest price, but was an innovative designer who truly enjoyed interacting with his clientele. He was also a willing educator and engaged his detractors with equal commitment and without apology. He was indeed a widely recognized gentleman of the high end audio community. RIP, Bobby.
Marty

Last edited:
Reactions: heath_robert

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I bought a pair of Merlins from Taylor House in 1988. Went to buy Vandys, but the top end was sweeter on the Merlins at that point in time. I had the speakers for almost 20 years- a testimony to their quality, as I moved them from house to house 5 times. In the end, gave them to my nephew in law, who sold them to his brother. ( Should have known from that he would be the type to divorce my niece a couple of years later!). Those speakers were responsible for many of my friends becoming audiophiles. Sad to hear of his passing.

Reactions: heath_robert

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing