Review of Genesis 5.3 Loudspeakers

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Keep the faith Gary. Rarely has one exhibited the technical prowess, musical passion, and sheer cussed truthfulness you have shown.

Quite refreshing, isn't it? (not really a question either)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Keep the faith Gary. Rarely has one exhibited the technical prowess, musical passion, and sheer cussed truthfulness you have shown.

+1

And I would add that there exist several of thsoe great designs that remain excellent trhough the years. many audiophiles in their never ending quest for "THe best" seem to strive on the neewer more expensive ware. I also do think that the 5.3 is somewhat victim of the "Price Class" notion. Any serious audition of this superlative speaker would tell most person that it challenges the very best. It is time that we, audiophiles starts taking a product on its own merit not on price or reputation... For once it is time to truly trust your ears ;)

Keep it rolling Gary. it is a great speaker... Not that you didn't know that already .. BTW do you see these on used sales that often .. or ...ever ??

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Keep it rolling Gary. it is a great speaker... Not that you didn't know that already .. BTW do you see these on used sales that often .. or ...ever ??

Thanks, Frantz. No, I haven't seen many used sales of the G5.3's. The owners tend to keep them for life - upgrading everything else in their system but the speakers. Unless they move to a much larger home, my bigger speakers won't fit!

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
BTW do you see these on used sales that often .. or ...ever ??

No, and I even took a phone call once from someone who was peeved that he had been watching Audiogon forever and the one he saw on sale there got snapped up faster than he could react.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No, and I even took a phone call once from someone who was peeved that he had been watching Audiogon forever and the one he saw on sale there got snapped up faster than he could react.

I've yet to see any G7.1's either up here in the land of snow and igloos.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As an engineer, I do have the usual love for marketing, natch, but it helps pay the bills...

Don,

Your comment opens a fascinating subject for discussion - the roles and connections of engineering and marketing in sound reproduction. When I look at the trends presented long ago in the "The Engineer of 2020:: Visions of Engineering in the New Century" (National Academy of Engineering) I get the feeling that the audio engineering is idling and going in circles, limited by the industry endorsement of stereo as the standard for music reproduction.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
This is not the thread. Opinions, I have many, but few facts. I used to know, or at least be acquainted with, a number of engineers in the audio field (I thought about getting into audio design out of college) but not really any more. The depth and breadth of skills required to integrate a modern AVR, for instance, is pretty daunting. For components, except for stereo, I think the one-man show is over.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On new models coming out……

"Your speakers are just as good as they were yesterday"

:D

Genesis56

Apr 7, 2015
Thanks, Frantz. No, I haven't seen many used sales of the G5.3's. The owners tend to keep them for life - upgrading everything else in their system but the speakers. Unless they move to a much larger home, my bigger speakers won't fit!

Gary, I agree that it's very rare for pre-loved Genesis products to come on the used market. As I have recently discovered, people generally buy Genesis speakers for life. I waited for years to get into Genesis.

The new Genesis 5.3 looks good. It's going to be hard to find any owner who's prepared to let them go...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing