Review: Grand Prix Audio • Monaco 2.0 Turntable

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Isn't there a thread or forum here on WBF devoted to bitching about prices? Railing about prices perceived as high in the realm of high-end audio gear contributes nothing. Take it somewhere else if that's all you have.

There has been little meaningful advance in the construction of turntables just as there has been little advance in assessing what is important in their operation. Poor speed stability has become a an accepted part of analog replay.

Discussion of how the state-of-the-art is advanced for record players is relevant on a board titled "What's Best...". Roy's review of the Monaco 2.0 does that. As noted, I found it a brilliant piece of work, not simply about the Monaco, but also about what are or should be the fundamental characteristics of a top quality 'table. What is important? There are first 'principles', their implementation and the sonic results and conclusions that come from those principles and implementation. Listening can validate goals and methods. Sometimes measurements can explain why we hear what we do.

Is there anyone who thinks stable rotational accuracy is not the fundamental job of a turntable? Followed by low noise?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alex, I was defending the price of the Monaco and of the Technics.
And btw the Sony DDs were highly recommended back in the day, commensurate w the original SP10s. I’ve heard an extremely good modded Sony that holds its head up proudly w tts of today at multiples of the price.
So plenty of leading audiophiles run Artisan Fidelity SP10 Mk3 rebuilds and feel they compete.

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Alex, I was defending the price of the Monaco and of the Technics.
And btw the Sony DDs were highly recommended back in the day, commensurate w the original SP10s. I’ve heard an extremely good modded Sony that holds its head up proudly w tts of today at multiples of the price.
So plenty of leading audiophiles run Artisan Fidelity SP10 Mk3 rebuilds and feel they compete.

To me the issue of the technics will be the plinth not the motor unit it’s still an open question

The Monaco is more than just a motor unit it’s a complete package sans arm

This as an owner of three sp 10 and a Monaco

I think though you are right about technics and economies of scale, but it’s not exactly cheap the sp10r is still pricey

I think the comparison would be the sp10r versus the parabolica, if the sp10r smites that then we can talk about it compared with Monaco 2, jury is still out

As a side note, the Sony psx9 has great specs by today’s standards

Beside speed stability it also has low through spindle and groove rumble very important considerations

I am yet to see Hfn measure the technics sp10r, is anyone aware ?

Electronic noise, and spindle and groove rumble are also very important sonically and usually easily appreciated especially for direct drives

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What are your thoughts on your sp10 vs the Monaco

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
XV, I’ve heard the Bardo and Monaco 1.5, albeit in v different systems.
I would contend the Bardo is leaner. Maybe you’re incorrect in your assertion re system balance.
If that is the case, does that mean every review has to be viewed thru the prism of reviewer bias and how his system compares to the reader’s system?

Yes Marc.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is there anyone who thinks stable rotational accuracy is not the fundamental job of a turntable? Followed by low noise?

No but how that speed accuracy is achieved has a direct impact on the final sound quality. There are a lot of fundamental elements aside from noise that come into play to shape the final sound, materials selection, bearing type, mass, etc.

david

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
XV, I’ve heard the Bardo and Monaco 1.5, albeit in v different systems.
I would contend the Bardo is leaner. Maybe you’re incorrect in your assertion re system balance.
If that is the case, does that mean every review has to be viewed thru the prism of reviewer bias and how his system compares to the reader’s system?

Yes Marc

If you don't understand the reviewers bias and your own bias to a certain degree, any review is useless.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yes Marc

If you don't understand the reviewers bias and your own bias to a certain degree, any review is useless.

Very true. The same goes to reading one’s comments on gear in this forum. You also have to study one’s meaning of terms, degree to which he is hearing from his system. For ex, One’s exceptional resolution might only means very good resolution to another person in his system, etc.

Kind regards,
Tang

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Very true. The same goes to reading one’s comments on gear in this forum. You also have to study one’s meaning of terms, degree to which he is hearing from his system. For ex, One’s exceptional resolution might only means very good resolution to another person in his system, etc.

Kind regards,
Tang

I agree. I like opinions, particularly articulate ones based on experience. Reviews and postings with opinions/biases/preferences are more interesting.

I also believe our hearing systems are more similar than different and that some/many of us can agree that certain system's resolutions (pick your characteristic) are better than others.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
No but how that speed accuracy is achieved has a direct impact on the final sound quality. There are a lot of fundamental elements aside from noise that come into play to shape the final sound, materials selection, bearing type, mass, etc.

david

Yes, agreement on principles does not assure a given implementation will meet the goal(s) of those principles. Materials selection, bearing type, mass etc. are addressed in service to one's goals, principles and their priority. IOW, the criteria of selection for the components of an implementation are presumably a function of what one is trying to achieve. Yet some choices or combination of choices will turn out better than others.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Any idea how much the upgrade from 1.5 to 2 costs?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Isn't there a thread or forum here on WBF devoted to bitching about prices? Railing about prices perceived as high in the realm of high-end audio gear contributes nothing. Take it somewhere else if that's all you have.

There has been little meaningful advance in the construction of turntables just as there has been little advance in assessing what is important in their operation. Poor speed stability has become a an accepted part of analog replay.

Discussion of how the state-of-the-art is advanced for record players is relevant on a board titled "What's Best...". Roy's review of the Monaco 2.0 does that. As noted, I found it a brilliant piece of work, not simply about the Monaco, but also about what are or should be the fundamental characteristics of a top quality 'table. What is important? There are first 'principles', their implementation and the sonic results and conclusions that come from those principles and implementation. Listening can validate goals and methods. Sometimes measurements can explain why we hear what we do.

Hello tima,

The idea of rotational stability is a great one. In theory.

In practice however, it’s likely no lathe on Earth has the rotational stability of the Monaco. Therefore whatever upside greater rotational stability confers on the subject’s perceived enjoyment, it will still only ever be relative to that of the rotational stability of the mastering lathe.

In other words, a turntable of greater-than-average rotational stability that allows us to hear the inconsistencies of the mastering lathe with greater clarity may in fact not be preferred in practice, even if we accept in theory we “should”.

Were our records mastered via a process of precise and unambiguously consistent speed stability across all lathes mastering our records, then in both theory and practice, we would surely prefer turntables of precise and unambiguous consistent speed stability - we would want to have a turntable that was as consistent as the mastering lathe, in which the exact (not relative) speed of the turntable could be matched to the exact (not relative) speed of the lathe.

However, if we accept that all mastering lathes will differ in speed stability from one another producing masters that are therefore non-linear in-and-of-themselves and also, one-to-another, it’s possible it may be true the way to maximise performance from that medium may be a mechanism that is also non-linear. In other words, rather than seek to utilise a linear (non-random) mechanism to decode and interpret a non-linear medium, we may find instead that by utilising a non-linear mechanism we introduce stochastic distribution of non-linearities, in effect cancelling out or nullifying some (but not all) of the non-linearities inherent in the medium (1) (2).

Sometimes, intervention intended to bring a positive benefit also brings harm, often masked by the positive because the upside is easier to detect. I say this as someone who has heard many direct drive turntables, the Monaco once (1.0, and not in a system I was familiar with), yet never quite fallen in love to the degree I have with idlers. To what degree my own preferences might be shaped by the above - and the degree to which the above idea might be relevant or not - I cannot be sure (3).

Best,

853guy

--

(1) See stochastic resonance for more: “Stochastic resonance is said to be observed when increases in levels of unpredictable fluctuations—e.g., random noise—cause an increase in a metric of the quality of signal transmission or detection performance, rather than a decrease. This counterintuitive effect relies on system nonlinearities and on some parameter ranges being “suboptimal”” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2660436/

(2) Dither is obviously a similar process, but used when reducing word-length in mastering for digital prior to commercial release (strictly speaking, the resolution of the vinyl master is the same as the consumer product, so “dither” really only relates to digital). With vinyl, the process takes place instead during playback - the turntable itself acts as a mechanism for introduction of non-linearities.

(3) Were there numerous robust studies to suggest we as humans prefer highly accurate/measurable speed accuracy/peak deviation in analogue playback, then perhaps we would also see a general preference towards turntables that achieved this goal. Given there continues to be a divergence between stated preference and revealed preference (and that despite the fact the ear is inherently non-linear, our ear/brain mechanism can still discriminate sounds better than the limit imposed by the Fourier Uncertainty Principle suggesting non-linearities in-and-of-themselves are not a limit to detection - and in fact, may aid in detection), it’s possible the reverse is true - we’re happy with non-linearities provided they are randomised/stochastic rather than non-random/distributed evenly.

“The researchers think that this superior human listening ability is partly due to the spiral structure and nonlinearities in the cochlea. Previously, scientists have proven that linear systems cannot exceed the time-frequency uncertainty limit. Although most nonlinear systems do not perform any better, any system that exceeds the uncertainty limit must be nonlinear. For this reason, the nonlinearities in the cochlea are likely integral to the precision of human auditory processing. Since researchers have known for a long time about the cochlea's nonlinearities, the current results are not quite as surprising as they would otherwise be.

https://phys.org/news/2013-02-human-fourier-uncertainty-principle.html

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
853, a tt “better” than the method of manufacture of lps. Quite the conundrum.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
853guy, what you posted doesn't make sense to me...at all. The idea of precise rotational speed should be a goal that all TT's aspire to. If your TT is fluctuating in speed, then you are simply adding another variable to the system that is going to be detrimental. Sure, the original lathe may not have been that accurate, but we can also discuss whether the original recording gear is that accurate...the speed of the tape machine, the accuracy of the microphones and their pick up capability..and on and on. Heck, we could ever argue whether the instruments themselves were even in proper tune that the musicians were using!
However, what was laid down on the tape is what we are trying to reproduce as closely as possible...and the lathe has cut what we are going to be hearing....do I want to modify that signal with my table's speed??? I think not. YMMV.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
853guy, what you posted doesn't make sense to me...at all. The idea of precise rotational speed should be a goal that all TT's aspire to. If your TT is fluctuating in speed, then you are simply adding another variable to the system that is going to be detrimental. Sure, the original lathe may not have been that accurate, but we can also discuss whether the original recording gear is that accurate...the speed of the tape machine, the accuracy of the microphones and their pick up capability..and on and on. Heck, we could ever argue whether the instruments themselves were even in proper tune that the musicians were using!
However, what was laid down on the tape is what we are trying to reproduce as closely as possible...and the lathe has cut what we are going to be hearing....do I want to modify that signal with my table's speed??? I think not. YMMV.

853guy brings up a good point, but what can we really do about it? I agree with you DaveyF. As users (and the designers of high end gear) we can only hope to optimizing the replay gear, both in design and set up, and enjoy the recording as best we can. There are many flawed stages in the recording and production process before we get a hold of the finished product. As end users, we can do very little, if anything, about it. It is interesting to recognize and perhaps discuss these things, though.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hello tima,

The idea of rotational stability is a great one. In theory.

In practice however, it’s likely no lathe on Earth has the rotational stability of the Monaco. Therefore whatever upside greater rotational stability confers on the subject’s perceived enjoyment, it will still only ever be relative to that of the rotational stability of the mastering lathe.

In other words, a turntable of greater-than-average rotational stability that allows us to hear the inconsistencies of the mastering lathe with greater clarity may in fact not be preferred in practice, even if we accept in theory we “should”.

Were our records mastered via a process of precise and unambiguously consistent speed stability across all lathes mastering our records, then in both theory and practice, we would surely prefer turntables of precise and unambiguous consistent speed stability - we would want to have a turntable that was as consistent as the mastering lathe, in which the exact (not relative) speed of the turntable could be matched to the exact (not relative) speed of the lathe.

However, if we accept that all mastering lathes will differ in speed stability from one another producing masters that are therefore non-linear in-and-of-themselves and also, one-to-another, it’s possible it may be true the way to maximise performance from that medium may be a mechanism that is also non-linear. In other words, rather than seek to utilise a linear (non-random) mechanism to decode and interpret a non-linear medium, we may find instead that by utilising a non-linear mechanism we introduce stochastic distribution of non-linearities, in effect cancelling out or nullifying some (but not all) of the non-linearities inherent in the medium (1) (2).

Sometimes, intervention intended to bring a positive benefit also brings harm, often masked by the positive because the upside is easier to detect. I say this as someone who has heard many direct drive turntables, the Monaco once (1.0, and not in a system I was familiar with), yet never quite fallen in love to the degree I have with idlers. To what degree my own preferences might be shaped by the above - and the degree to which the above idea might be relevant or not - I cannot be sure (3).

Best,

853guy

--

(1) See stochastic resonance for more: “Stochastic resonance is said to be observed when increases in levels of unpredictable fluctuations—e.g., random noise—cause an increase in a metric of the quality of signal transmission or detection performance, rather than a decrease. This counterintuitive effect relies on system nonlinearities and on some parameter ranges being “suboptimal”” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2660436/

(2) Dither is obviously a similar process, but used when reducing word-length in mastering for digital prior to commercial release (strictly speaking, the resolution of the vinyl master is the same as the consumer product, so “dither” really only relates to digital). With vinyl, the process takes place instead during playback - the turntable itself acts as a mechanism for introduction of non-linearities.

(3) Were there numerous robust studies to suggest we as humans prefer highly accurate/measurable speed accuracy/peak deviation in analogue playback, then perhaps we would also see a general preference towards turntables that achieved this goal. Given there continues to be a divergence between stated preference and revealed preference (and that despite the fact the ear is inherently non-linear, our ear/brain mechanism can still discriminate sounds better than the limit imposed by the Fourier Uncertainty Principle suggesting non-linearities in-and-of-themselves are not a limit to detection - and in fact, may aid in detection), it’s possible the reverse is true - we’re happy with non-linearities provided they are randomised/stochastic rather than non-random/distributed evenly.

“The researchers think that this superior human listening ability is partly due to the spiral structure and nonlinearities in the cochlea. Previously, scientists have proven that linear systems cannot exceed the time-frequency uncertainty limit. Although most nonlinear systems do not perform any better, any system that exceeds the uncertainty limit must be nonlinear. For this reason, the nonlinearities in the cochlea are likely integral to the precision of human auditory processing. Since researchers have known for a long time about the cochlea's nonlinearities, the current results are not quite as surprising as they would otherwise be.

https://phys.org/news/2013-02-human-fourier-uncertainty-principle.html

Hello 853guy,

I hoped for more discussion of the topic at hand and I appreciate the thought and care reflected in the composition of your post. The speculation is interesting and I take it as such and/or perhaps as an expression of skepticism. I hope you had the opportunity to read the articles published about the Monaco 'tables.

It may be possible, yes, if we take things far enough with sufficiently high precision measuring devices that no turntables perform identically nor do any lathes perform the same as one another and given the randomness of it all no two records are identical. Although given enough of either there may be coincindences amongst the types as well as coincidences in measured results.

As you intimate, it may be possible that an imprecise (non-linear) turntable yield the best possible results from an imprecise record produced on an imprecise lathe. One might make the case that is exactly what we have at hand and we have arrived at not only a state of the art but the best of all possible states of the art. Though perhaps we may take time to asymptotically refine our notion of non-linearity sufficient to give a perception of progress - but essentially we may be done.

How would we know?

I'll quote you a couple lines from the final paragraph of my article on the Monaco 2.0:
"It [the Monaco 2] is significant because it demonstrates that a turntable that lowers its noise floor while achieving near-perfect rotational accuracy can significantly increase the sense of realism obtainable from playing records. ...There is an argument that hyper accuracy doesn’t matter because vinyl records are too imperfect for it to make a difference. With the new Monaco 2.0, that argument goes up in smoke."

Despite being a reviewer, those words were not meant as hyperbole. ;-> They are grounded in direct experiential evidence. I put my ears on the line in writing them. While I'm confident in what I heard, two subsequent published reviews are in agreement and some say go farther in their testament. Hopefully more will be forthcoming and more audiophiles will hear the 'table under optmal conditions. While acknowledging there are other factors at play - perhaps the effects of the Monaco's specific benefits can be heard by others.

I had only two explanations to account for the differences I heard in comparing a measured quantity with a measured quantity: the highly accurate Monaco 1.5 with the new 2.0 with its lower noise and improved stable accuracy. The 1.5, it can be argued, was at the time either among or was the most accurate 'table on the market according to measured platter speed. While made with very high precision machining, modern materials, custom made parts and modern digital processing technology, there is a sense in which the 2.0 is a simple turntable. It does not have vacuum hold down, it does not have an air bearing or exotic suspension system, it does not try to counteract the effects of the earth's rotation. Little other than lower noise and much greater stable rotational accuracy are the characteristics found going from 1.5 to 2.0. I know a lower noise floor when I hear it and while that was there, I'm convinced it was not the root cause of improvement. The design team concurs.

Leaving an out, there is the suggestion that the effects of high accuracy are deleterious but its benefits mask the ill effects. Okay. Maybe if Ptolemy conjured just a few more epicycles his astronomy could have worked. While I've been mildly vociferous in pointing to the Monaco 2 as a genuine step forward for analog replay, I'm certainly willing to be shown otherwise about the benefits of stable accuracy or for that matter the benefits of random rotation if such are discovered. For now I've taken up with the law of parsimony as far as Ptolemy goes and put my trust with Friar Ockham ... and my ears.

Thanks for writing,
tima

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Hello 853guy,

I hoped for more discussion of the topic at hand and I appreciate the thought and care reflected in the composition of your post. The speculation is interesting and I take it as such and/or perhaps as an expression of skepticism. I hope you had the opportunity to read the articles published about the Monaco 'tables.

It may be possible, yes, if we take things far enough with sufficiently high precision measuring devices that no turntables perform identically nor do any lathes perform the same as one another and given the randomness of it all no two records are identical. Although given enough of either there may be coincindences amongst the types as well as coincidences in measured results.

As you intimate, it may be possible that an imprecise (non-linear) turntable yield the best possible results from an imprecise record produced on an imprecise lathe. One might make the case that is exactly what we have at hand and we have arrived at not only a state of the art but the best of all possible states of the art. Though perhaps we may take time to asymptotically refine our notion of non-linearity sufficient to give a perception of progress - but essentially we may be done.

Hello tima,

Thanks for your reply…!

Firstly, please let me say my post is, as you say, mere speculation on my part fuelled by fascination that vinyl still continues to offer me a near-transcendent musical experience, despite the many epitaphs written for it since the advent of CD (and vinyl’s objectively inferior performance relative to digital). Anyone who’s seeking to move vinyl replay forward is worthy of my interest, and I appreciate Monaco have focused their attention on rotational speed via rigorous implementation. My post is really part a broader observation, not specifically directed at the Monaco, though given the 2.0 has been able to quantify its performance advantage in such explicit terms, it seems as good a example as any, and perhaps the best.

Two contextual caveats upfront: I read very few reviews these days, and confess to initially skimming yours, but have re-read it since. Also, like I say, I’ve heard neither the Monaco 2.0, nor the 1.5 - only the 1.0 zero once, in a system I was unfamiliar with. So perhaps these comments below are best understood as neither a critique of your review, nor a criticism of the 2.0 - simply curiosity expressed as a work-in-progress of observations apropos vinyl replay in general.

As perhaps we might agree, with vinyl we are never dealing with absolute rotational speed, only ever relative rotational speed (the turntable and lathe individually and relative to one-another). If all mastering lathes rotated at the same precise rotational speed, and only if they did, would absolute rotational speed matter in our turntables because we would have a single absolute reference in which to attempt to emulate. However, we do not and never will have a single absolute reference to emulate, given the divergence of lathes one-to-another and the variance with which each lathe departs from absolute rotational speed in both speed accuracy and consistency.

So while I can certainly not say that your observations are incorrect (nor am I attempting to), I think it could still be true to say that since all turntables and all lathes will never identically match in terms of absolute rotational speed, the variables matter less than their distribution. If I were to play you a record in which I had made one-hundred audible scratches in its surface, and spaced them evenly at one second intervals, you would likely notice them far more than if I placed them randomly across the entire playing surface with no discernible pattern. When a given deviation’s distribution is non-random we seem to flag it in ways we do not when the deviation is random(ised).

In complex systems (and I would argue the turntable, and especially the hi-fi system as a whole is exactly that), how a given variable is distributed matters more than the presence of that variable. In other words, how a turntable achieves its speed stability can often have a far greater influence on our perceived enjoyment/non-enjoyment, and in a way that’s fundamentally different to what exact speed stability it achieves. Again, though this is not aimed at the Monaco specifically, I think perhaps we can all point to turntables in which the implementation of drive topology conveys significant benefits in perceived enjoyment, despite the absence of absolute speed stability - and vice versa.

Nevertheless, that there continues to be devotees of both belt, idler and direct-drive turntables suggests the how of the platter turning is fundamental to our perception of music, not just because of its implications for speed stability per se, but as your review suggests, because music is always pitch and amplitude over time and the three are always modulating. Timing errors will therefore always impact the way pitch and amplitude are conveyed. My hypothesis (and it is nothing more than that) is that it’s the distribution of those errors that differentiates our perception of belt versus idler versus direct-driven given all forms of rotational mechanisms will have inherent degrees of speed instability.

Given we can perhaps acknowledge that all lathes also share this variation, my thinking is that if indeed they are complex systems of non-linearities, what matters most is not that those non-linearities exist in both the lathe and the turntable, but only that as long as those non-linearities are distributed in a benign (stochastic) manner, our ear/brain mechanism is able to accommodate those non-linearities, and in fact perhaps, confer unexpected benefits to signal detection despite the presence of the noise (see link in my previous post).

I'll quote you a couple lines from the final paragraph of my article on the Monaco 2.0:
"It [the Monaco 2] is significant because it demonstrates that a turntable that lowers its noise floor while achieving near-perfect rotational accuracy can significantly increase the sense of realism obtainable from playing records. ...There is an argument that hyper accuracy doesn’t matter because vinyl records are too imperfect for it to make a difference. With the new Monaco 2.0, that argument goes up in smoke."

Despite being a reviewer, those words were not meant as hyperbole. ;-> They are grounded in direct experiential evidence. I put my ears on the line in writing them. While I'm confident in what I heard, two subsequent published reviews are in agreement and some say go farther in their testament. Hopefully more will be forthcoming and more audiophiles will hear the 'table under optmal conditions. While acknowledging there are other factors at play - perhaps the effects of the Monaco's specific benefits can be heard by others.

I had only two explanations to account for the differences I heard in comparing a measured quantity with a measured quantity: the highly accurate Monaco 1.5 with the new 2.0 with its lower noise and improved stable accuracy. The 1.5, it can be argued, was at the time either among or was the most accurate 'table on the market according to measured platter speed. While made with very high precision machining, modern materials, custom made parts and modern digital processing technology, there is a sense in which the 2.0 is a simple turntable. It does not have vacuum hold down, it does not have an air bearing or exotic suspension system, it does not try to counteract the effects of the earth's rotation. Little other than lower noise and much greater stable rotational accuracy are the characteristics found going from 1.5 to 2.0. I know a lower noise floor when I hear it and while that was there, I'm convinced it was not the root cause of improvement. The design team concurs.

Leaving an out, there is the suggestion that the effects of high accuracy are deleterious but its benefits mask the ill effects. Okay. Maybe if Ptolemy conjured just a few more epicycles his astronomy could have worked. While I've been mildly vociferous in pointing to the Monaco 2 as a genuine step forward for analog replay, I'm certainly willing to be shown otherwise about the benefits of stable accuracy or for that matter the benefits of random rotation if such are discovered. For now I've taken up with the law of parsimony as far as Ptolemy goes and put my trust with Friar Ockham ... and my ears.

Thanks for writing,
tima

There is of course an ongoing debate (and rightly so in my perspective) of the direct correlation between what can be measured and what can be perceived. However, as many of us have discovered - often to our lament - a component that produces vanishingly low distortion, noise and output impedance measurements does not always confer a direct benefit on listener involvement. In fact, in some cases, and even taking into account the fact we all have our preferences and biases, it may cause the opposite.

In complex systems, higher-order effects matter. Even in cases in which a component has objectively come to match an ideal of linearity, there will still be many who may not prefer it (although I completely accept there will be just as many who might) - not because it’s demonstrably/objectively linear (a first-order effect), but because its linearity comes with second- and third-order effects that cannot be predicted ahead of time (and certainly not in isolation).

Yes, if it cannot be observed then it’s fair to suggest it may not be worth observing. Yet complex systems - and especially, a dynamic, high-order and interdependently complex signal played back via a dynamic, high-order and interdependently complex mechanism in which interactions matter more than single independent actions (1) - often leads us to conflate evidence of absence for absence of evidence. It’s only later, once time has allowed us to peek beneath the first-order effects of our discoveries that we’re able to observe any second- and third-order effects. Indeed, the problem in dealing with complex systems is that second- and third-order effects are generally masked by first-order ones. But just because they may not be observable now, does not mean they may not become observable in the future.

And while I can accept that Ockham made a valuable observation, that observation holds most true when applied to simple systems where parsimony is a virtue. In complex systems, in which variables interact and generate second- and third-order effects that cannot be predicted ahead of time, parsimony is likely to only lead to a false dichotomy built on first-order effects (2).

In any case, no more of my hypothesising will change either the real-world performance of the Monaco, nor your perception of it evaluated via your own ears. I’m grateful you’ve shared your thoughts with me, and taken the time to respond in such a generous manner.

Take care, tima.

853guy

(1) I continue to persist in my belief that music and the recording/hi-fi mechanism we use to play it back are both complex systems built on simple principles that can be defined and studied in isolation (pitch, amplitude, time; acoustical energy, electrical energy, acoustical energy). When those simple principles are brought together however, they interact dynamically in ways that often defy those simple principles observed individually and statically, because a dynamic, high-order and interdependently complex signal played back via a dynamic, high-order and interdependently complex mechanism will produce variables and non-linearities the individual constituent parts in-and-of-themselves can never fully predict ahead of time.

(2) “Height determines weight” may have been a heuristic Ockham would have approved of. This would have been especially true in the 13th Century when nutrition was based on simple foods of limited portions and people generally engaged in moderate energy expenditure. However, in the 21st Century with the addition of unlimited choice, cheap and easily accessible sugars, chemical farming and chemical “foods”, hereditary disorders, limited energy expenditure and often, unlimited portion size, “height determines weight” has little to no utility value. The complexity of our modern diet and the interaction of greater variables renders a parsimonious heuristic redundant.

--

EDIT: It's come to my attention that since I tend to type faster than think, I may have inadvertently mixed/conflated speed accuracy for peak deviation distribution throughout my two posts. In summary then, my thoughts are as follows:

All lathes will vary in speed accuracy relative to one another.

All lathes will vary in the distribution of their peak deviations one to another.

All turntables will vary in speed accuracy relative to one another.

All turntables will vary in the distribution of their peak deviations one to another.

Therefore, all turntables will vary in speed accuracy and the distribution of their peak deviations relative to the lathe’s degree of speed accuracy and the distribution of peak deviations a given record was mastered on.

Given that even a turntable with very high levels of speed accuracy cannot make up for peak deviations of the lathe, nor its own, what will matter more is how the peak deviations are distributed in both the lathe and the turntable, since a lathe that produces a master running at 33.4 rpm will of course be best served by a turntable running at 33.2 rpm despite the fact both of them are not strictly speed accurate. Speed accuracy in-and-of-itself therefore matters less than the peak deviations and how they are distributed. Therefore, random/stochastic distribution of peak deviations will perhaps be the best way to realise performance from a turntable given the non-linear nature of all lathes mastering records.

Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, this thread is becoming very confusing : we are mixing average speed - sometimes called absolute speed - with with the instantaneous variations of speed, the point that Monaco mainly debates in their whitepapers. IMHO they must be discussed clearly and separately, otherwise no one can understand the arguments or participate without being misunderstood.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing