Restoring a Accuphase P300

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I just purchased a Accuphase P300 on Ebay. I have been wanting to buy one for some time but the price has been hovering near the original price of $800 for a clean one. I only need a donor as I intend to totally re-cap the amplifier. This particular amp that I was able to get is cosmetically good, which is always a plus, but needed some work and the price paid reflected that,perfect.

The P300 is one of the only amps I have seen with output level controls, a major factor for my project. I intend to drive a pair of small Mission speakers to operate a psychoacoustics circuit I have. it's also nice that the accuphase is very handsome and is powerful.

This will be my 2nd P300 as I was the original owner of that amp and it was gone through last year.

One problem with these amps is the original power supply capacitors are a odd size and hard to find. My solution was to use a pair of Mundorf M-lytic hc 47,000 80V caps. They are a little oversize on width but the right height. These Mundorf's are a great cap and give this amp excellent bass slam and handle transients very well.

I have a set of blackgate N and NX caps for it that I have collected, so this amp should sound better than the original. Here are some pictures.

These are the original Elna electrolytics and film caps next to the Blackgate replacements

Here is my original P300 with the Mundorfs installed.

I will post other pictures and thoughts as this project moves along.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The new,not so new Accuphase P300

rab32chevell

May 16, 2012
Nice amp. I just purchased another one and was wondering how your recapped amp project turned out and what kind of changes you hear in the performance of the amp. My amps are stock and perfrom very well but changing the caps should make a nice improvement. I didn't see any updates on how the amp turned out or maybe I just don't know how to find them.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Nice amp. I just purchased another one and was wondering how your recapped amp project turned out and what kind of changes you hear in the performance of the amp. My amps are stock and perfrom very well but changing the caps should make a nice improvement. I didn't see any updates on how the amp turned out or maybe I just don't know how to find them.

The amplifier is extremely transparent(aren't they all). The big Mundorf PS caps seemed to make a big difference, Those 2 PS caps are a odd size and almost unobtanium in small quanities. That's why I tried the Mundorfs,but they do require a small amount of surgery to get them in their spaces. Great amplifiers.

alain91

Mar 8, 2013
Accuphase p300

Hello
im alain and im french
have you a service manual for the accuphase p300?
THX
Alain

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I'm going to be working on a P300 next week. Same customer sent me his P200 preamp for refurbishment and correcting a few minor problems. One of the lowest distortion phono preamps I've seen. Differential circuitry throughout. Very nice Japanese engineering.
Recently repaired a T105 tuner that had a defective meter movement. The lower spring was never soldered to the armature and it probably never worked. That was a challenging repair, done with small tweezers and razor thin slices of cellophane tape used to hold the spring out of the way temporarily while soldering with a needlepoint tip on my iron. At first I was going to say no can do, but that's not my nature to give up. :)

I'm looking forward to servicing the P300 when the customer brings it in next week.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing