REL vs JL Audio subs

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think the audiophile that wants a subwoofer that "hits hard" and in my experience wants to know the subwoofer is there will love JL Audio subwoofers. REL Reference subwoofers are for the audiophile that wants a subwoofer that disappears to the point that you wonder if the subwoofer is on, but when you turn it off it's clear how much it impacts the soundstage, detail, and bass articulation.

I want both. A sub that is clearly working (really a must with my monitor/subwoofer system) and "hits hard" when it should, and one that at the same time also disappears into the entire sonic picture and integrates seamlessly, without timing/timbral issues that make it stand apart. I have all these things with my dual JL Audio F112 v2s. I don't see that as a REL vs JL Audio issue.

And yes, the extra adjustment flexibility of the JL Audio over a REL is a must for me. The extreme low-frequency cut-off function is a "life saver" in my medium-sized room, and I could never live without the phase adjustment on a continuous scale that the JL Audios provide (rather than a 0 or 180 degrees option). My subs are now at 55 degrees phase after careful adjustment by listening to many different kinds of music and recordings.

I used to have REL, but I am very happy with the switch.

Reactions: XV-1

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I haven’t had anyone complain of the bass in my room

the last 5 people to have come can’t believe the sub integration

I turn the cr1 on and off, it’s seamless

but I will digress and say, I bet the best rel set up will beat my jl set up

Reactions: Young Skywalker

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Since we are on the wonderful topic of subwoofers...Have any of you heard the Pure-Low subwoofer? (Maybe this should be a seperate post since the OP was curious between JL and REL) It has caught my attention and I find myself wanting a pair of these. I think this is the end of the subwoofer rainbow -- High speed and huge surface area. With the added benefit of not needing a lot of space.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I want both. A sub that is clearly working (really a must with my monitor/subwoofer system) and "hits hard" when it should, and one that at the same time also disappears into the entire sonic picture and integrates seamlessly, without timing/timbral issues that make it stand apart. I have all these things with my dual JL Audio F112 v2s. I don't see that as a REL vs JL Audio issue.

And yes, the extra adjustment flexibility of the JL Audio over a REL is a must for me. The extreme low-frequency cut-off function is a "life saver" in my medium-sized room, and I could never live without the phase adjustment on a continuous scale that the JL Audios provide (rather than a 0 or 180 degrees option). My subs are now at 55 degrees phase after careful adjustment by listening to many different kinds of music and recordings.

I used to have REL, but I am very happy with the switch.
This is a very subjective hobby. I say purchase what you prefer. This isn't life or death...it's preference based on individual's experiences, rooms, and systems.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This is a very subjective hobby. I say purchase what you prefer. This isn't live or death...it's preference based on individual's experiences, rooms, and systems.

Totally agree, it is preference.

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
I haven’t heard a rel integrate perfectly into a system, it seems to be a challenge that if you’re lucky and you have the right room dimensions, listening position, bass trapping… it probably is better.
But the JL with cr1 to me seems like a cheat code, works better when you’re limited in either time or space.
Just my opinion.
joey_v, neither have I.
After hearing an in store dealer setup six pack system two months ago I left that store grateful that my two twelve year old Velodyne DD-12 Plus are still working fine.
Watching Mr. Hunter's Youtube pack setup instructions, nudging cabinets back and forth listening for the 'Sneakers' drum wack made clear what I heard in that store.

Surprisingly, by repositioning that Studio III in my rooms bass mode and using line level I was able to use the DD-18's Auto EQ on the Studio III. With a little Manual EQ the Studio III's owner was amazed by the level of integration compared to the manufactures setup process for his Studio III. Unfortunately, the direct in room comparison to the low frequency reach of the F113 and the DD, the -6dB almost $10K REL was too big an ask for its owner.

In my hack sub experience the remote controlled Velodyne Plus is just so simple and fun. I found the JL Audio CR-1 manual so informative I printed it out.
M

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
We have JL and REL and this is something that I highly suggest. 18 inch driver, big amp. easily contolled and designed specifically for high end audio. Oh and it cost more :)
new sovereign.jpg

Reactions: M-dB

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
We have JL and REL and this is something that I highly suggest. 18 inch driver, big amp. easily contolled and designed specifically for high end audio. Oh and it cost more :)
View attachment 103799
Are they stackable? Could have a 6-pack of these.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Are they stackable? Could have a 6-pack of these.
yes they can be and Oliver may do that in the new showrrom , we have discussed it with the Majestics.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
View attachment 103799
$30K list price, I bet you do "highly suggest" it.

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
View attachment 103799
Elliot G. I can't make out the name plate. Is Majestic the model or brand name?

Avalon Acoustics cabinet faceting, still a popular slimming design solution. We still love the stature of our Eidolons.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Elliot G. I can't make out the name plate. Is Majestic the model or brand name?

Avalon Acoustics cabinet faceting, still a popular slimming design solution. We still love the stature of our Eidolons.
Thise are Goebel subs. There was a recent review in TAS. The Majestic is north of $500k. Extremely well designed speakers IMHO. So $30k is a bargain.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
The subs are Gobel Sovereign's at 29500 each and the speakers are thet Divin Noblesse .
OLiver is building two big rooms at teh German Factory and they may be shown stacked there.
I could do 4 here now but I hjave a deposit on the second pair :)

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Thise are Goebel subs. There was a recent review in TAS. The Majestic is north of $500k. Extremely well designed speakers IMHO. So $30k is a bargain.
That's funny.

M-dB

Apr 2, 2017
The subs are Gobel Sovereign's at 29500 each and the speakers are thet Divin Noblesse .
OLiver is building two big rooms at teh German Factory and they may be shown stacked there.
I could do 4 here now but I hjave a deposit on the second pair :)
Thanks Elliot. This has some sensible adjustment parameters. Is there a microphone input for auto EQ/room and main speaker optimization processing software? Has the manual been made public?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Thanks Elliot. This has some sensible adjustment parameters. Is there a microphone input for auto EQ/room and main speaker optimization processing software? Has the manual been made public?
Dont have the manual yet however it should be soon.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
1675357596522.png

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Reading the set-up parameters, it looks like it has a miniDSP type of filter set-up. Having experienced what this can do to a pair of Wilson Benesch Torus subs, this should be very powerful indeed in creating a linear bass.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing