Reference TT suggestions for those who can't afford SOTA!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
New or used.?

There is always a Technic SP-10 MK2 or better MK3 floating around. (...)

Well, as far as I know SP10 mk3's are almost as rare as chicken teeth ... Perhaps as rare as EMT 927's.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, this one's easy....

a entry level Linn LP12, called the Magik. One can then ( funds allowing) upgrade to the interim model ( Akurate) and then ( again, funds allowing) up to the full bore LP12SE Klimax level. ( Which, IMHO, can sleigh ( hey, ( hay:eek:) it's getting close to Xmas, lol:p) some pretty well thought after $50K+ jobs).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well, as far as I know SP10 mk3's are almost as rare as chicken teeth ... Perhaps as rare as EMT 927's.

The MK2 then .. compromises , a small on IMO for what the potential of this table is.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, this one's easy....

a entry level Linn LP12, called the Magik. One can then ( funds allowing) upgrade to the interim model ( Akurate) and then ( again, funds allowing) up to the full bore LP12SE Klimax level. ( Which, IMHO, can sleigh ( hey, ( hay:eek:) it's getting close to Xmas, lol:p) some pretty well thought after $50K+ jobs).

I haven't heard a Linn in some time (understatement), but a good friend back in Montreal had one. I don't know if it was the basic unit or an upgraded version. I think that allowing users to upgrade to various levels is a great idea and Linn certainly has done an outstanding job of that.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I haven't heard a Linn in some time (understatement), but a good friend back in Montreal had one. I don't know if it was the basic unit or an upgraded version. I think that allowing users to upgrade to various levels is a great idea and Linn certainly has done an outstanding job of that.

Unfortunately, many people haven't heard the current versions of the Linn. Too many assume that the version of the table they remember from the 80's, 90's and early 00's is what the table sounds like. That is a pity, as the current models are more than competitive with the top end tables, IMO. A fully decked out LP12SE Klimax with Radikal D can compete with any table I have heard...and it bests most of them---easily!

What amazes me is that some of the better known reviewer's who are still using the LP12...like John Atkinson among others, are still using the version from the 90's!! Perhaps that says something!! OTOH, they really have no idea as to what they are missing.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Unfortunately, many people haven't heard the current versions of the Linn. Too many assume that the table they remember from the 80's, 90's and early 00's are what the table sounds like, That is a pity, as the current models are more than competitive with the top end tables, IMO. A fully decked out LP12SE Klimax with Radikal D can compete with any table I have heard...and it bests most of them---easily!

What amazes me is that some of the better known reviewer's who are still using the LP12...like John Atkinson among others, are still using the version from the 90's!! Perhaps that says something!! OTOH, they really have no idea as to what they are missing.

It definitely says something and I don't think a greater compliment could be had. I wonder why he never upgraded though as surely he would have been able to.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
It definitely says something and I don't think a greater compliment could be had. I wonder why he never upgraded though as surely he would have been able to.

That's a great question, John. I suspect that like so many, JA is probably unaware of the differences that the upgrades bring, and therefore is quite happy with what he has. Like I said before, he has simply no idea as to what he is missing!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Kuzma Stabi is almost impossible to beat in price to performance ratio.

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
This is will sound odd coming from someone without a record in my house these days, but I think it all depends on what you want out of a record player, and what you value most. I listened mainly to classical when I was into the black stuff, and was quite sensitive to something that maintained the correct speed. Ultimately for me direct drive was where it was at, but certainly enjoy and appreciate all the different designs - and have heard some excellent vinyl systems whether they be belt driven, idler or direct drive, high mass, low mass, big torque motor or small torque motor. That said I suggest the arm/cart/phono has much more influence on the sound once you get the disk spinning reliably at the correct speed.

So I wouldn't get hung up on a "these" or a "that" - personally I would go listen to as many as you can, go work out what sound appeals personally to you and then try and buy a good unit second hand.

if I were starting again, I would try and find a Exclusive P3 or P10, a SP10 2 or 3, or some other DD, and then worry about the cart/arm phono combo. In the new DD line, I have heard many times the Brinkman Bardo, and have enjoyed it on each occasion. Small footprint, and lovely design. I'd have that over for instance a TW Acustic, which I thought (think) is a little bloomy in the mids. The LP12? Lots of fun, big meaty and bouncy, and depending on what you listen to, may be all you every want or need. Not one for the classical nuts, I suggest. Too inaccurate. And VERY expensive once you start on the Igor "upgrade" path.

Ultimately I ended up with a secondhand Monaco TT with a Triplanar. It was good deck with a tiny footprint, which was important to me, and was very accurate and, certainly for classical, had qualities I enjoyed. It could err to the sterile particularly paired with a less than generous cart. Secondhand, it is very reasonably priced. As are most decks.

Nothing wrong with an SME 20/2 secondhand, or a Spiral Groove SG2, secondhand. Both excellent decks. Kuzma, which oddly I have never heard, also has a great reputation.

Were you thinking about buying something new Johnny?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) For me, one of those would be the Oracle Delphi Mk VI 2nd Generation (...) .

An Oracle with a subplatter? What's next - no suspension? :confused:

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 257

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This is will sound odd coming from someone without a record in my house these days, but I think it all depends on what you want out of a record player,
The LP12? Lots of fun, big meaty and bouncy, and depending on what you listen to, may be all you every want or need. Not one for the classical nuts, I suggest. Too inaccurate. And VERY expensive once you start on the Igor "upgrade" path.

Andrew, I ask of you, when was the last time that you actually listened to a top flite Linn LP12 Klimax SE? Or, perhaps you have never heard this TT. "Big meaty and bouncy" is definitely indicative of the answer to my last question!! I really do wish people woudn't make generalizations, such as this, without actually having listened to the gear that they are commenting on. :(

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Andrew, I ask of you, when was the last time that you actually listened to a top flite Linn LP12 Klimax SE? Or, perhaps you have never heard this TT. "Big meaty and bouncy" is definitely indicative of the answer to my last question!! I really do wish people woudn't make generalizations, such as this, without actually having listened to the gear that they are commenting on. :(

Hi Davey,

Yes happy to answer. I have heard many Linn LP12's over the years of varying iterations: there are so many models and combinations that I really couldn't tell you what now. Not being derogatory here just a reflection of the longevity and evolution of the brand, the upgrade path and the improvements both after market and factory that have been applied over the years.

You are quite right - I have never heard the current LP 12 Klimax SE. But I wasn't talking about current product. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in that - I thought my reference to the expensive upgrade path would assist people in knowing I hadn't heard the current top spec decks. They aren't very common over this side of the pond: mainly due to their expense here, and perhaps the perceived value (and I make zero comment on that).

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. I'd be delighted to learn about your Linn, and how it has evolved from the earlier decks I am familiar with.

I really like the Linn LP12 sound btw, and wasn't being dismissive of it at all - perhaps it came across that way - whoops. It is one of the most musical decks I have ever heard, and is hard to beat when properly set up. Looks super cool as well. :cool:

Edit: by BIG i meant it threw a huge soundstage and delivered a dense encompassing sound, by MEATY i meant it had substance and authority, and density in soundstage, and by BOUNCY I meant it was very rhythmic and engaging. Sorry. My short hand isn't very helpful to others. I very rarely say anything negative about a product these days, and certainly wouldn't about a Linn LP12.

I guess for classical, my preference is direct drive decks for their inherent speed stability. But if you wanted to gift me a LP12 Klimax, I think I could bring myself to listen to it ha ha :D

Last edited:

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
How about a fully decked out Roksan Xerxes 20plus?

I have this turntable with Artemiz arm, VdH Frog Gold cart (custom made by AJ himself for me a few years ago), Reference power supply and Transparent Ref phono cable. Table was setup for me by Touraj himself. Hugely enjoyable combo for me, especially PRaT, dynamics and detail....for its price category. Hope this helps.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Davey,

Yes happy to answer. I have heard many Linn LP12's over the years of varying iterations: there are so many models and combinations that I really couldn't tell you what now. Not being derogatory here just a reflection of the longevity and evolution of the brand, the upgrade path and the improvements both after market and factory that have been applied over the years.

You are quite right - I have never heard the current LP 12 Klimax SE. But I wasn't talking about current product. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in that - I thought my reference to the expensive upgrade path would assist people in knowing I hadn't heard the current top spec decks. They aren't very common over this side of the pond: mainly due to their expense here, and perhaps the perceived value (and I make zero comment on that).

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. I'd be delighted to learn about your Linn, and how it has evolved from the earlier decks I am familiar with.

I really like the Linn LP12 sound btw, and wasn't being dismissive of it at all - perhaps it came across that way - whoops. It is one of the most musical decks I have ever heard, and is hard to beat when properly set up. Looks super cool as well. :cool:

Edit: by BIG i meant it threw a huge soundstage and delivered a dense encompassing sound, by MEATY i meant it had substance and authority, and density in soundstage, and by BOUNCY I meant it was very rhythmic and engaging. Sorry. My short hand isn't very helpful to others. I very rarely say anything negative about a product these days, and certainly wouldn't about a Linn LP12.

I guess for classical, my preference is direct drive decks for their inherent speed stability. But if you wanted to gift me a LP12 Klimax, I think I could bring myself to listen to it ha ha :D

Andrew, thank you for the clarification. I would never have guessed by your descriptive words: Big, meaty and bouncy...that you were referring to the descriptors that you now clarify!
This is of course the danger of the web in general...what one man posts as innocuous, another man perceives as anything but.
If you have the opportunity to listen to a top-flite LP12 Klimax SE, I highly recommend that you do so.

As to speed stability, well that is exactly what is addressed with the new DC motor and speed control that make up the mod called the Radikal D. I listen to a lot of classical, I can tell you, with my Radikal D LP12 I would in no way swap it for a DD. ( BTW, I used to own a Technics SP10 mk2...not in the same league at all as my current LP12, the LP12 is streets ahead IMHO).

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Ahhh that is very helpful - thanks Dave.

I'm chasing the DSD smoke at moment but most definitely will seek out a LP12 Klimax to listen to. Who knows what the future holds - I know I love the appearance of an LP12 so if I climb back into the vinyl world, it will be on the top of my audition list based on your recommendation.

Again my sincere apologies for not being clearer - I forget that no one knows me here yet and are not used to my errr sometimes unique turn of phrase. Plus of course living in a country that is upside down to the rest of the world tends to cause some problems in translation ha ha.

Enjoy your Saturday evening - Sunday afternoon here and doing some chores while listening to Mendelsohnn - his string symphonies - on dsd 64. Wonderful. Just about to put out the washing, and run the vacuum around.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing