Reference 10 preamplifier

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro,

what cables did you use between the 18NS and the 108 when you did that preamp comparison?

and regarding phono performance between both pre's, how was that?

Mike,

I used the DartZeel supplied 50 ohm cable (10m) and currently I am using a Kimber KS1036 XLR XLR 6m long between the REF40 and the NHB 108. The appearance of the Audio Research REF phono 2 was was one the reasons I reverted to ARC - at that time I felt that I preferred the Phono2. The REF5 was in my view different, but not better than the DartZeel. But the REF Anniversary seemed to be a reasonable jump.
AFAIK, one owner of an NHB 458 also owns an ARC Phono 2 REF SE, but keeps the NH18NS.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
At CES last year my favorite room was the Sonus Faber Aida with the new ARC Ref250 and Ref40 Anniversary
If you thought that sounded good, you should hear the Aidas powered by Burmester amps ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If you thought that sounded good, you should hear the Aidas powered by Burmester amps ;)

Myles-Are you seriously saying that SS sounded better than tubes??

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-Are you seriously saying that SS sounded better than tubes??

Not necessarily. I just wasn't as blown away by the sound in that room as most others.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Just checking bro, you had me worried for a minute.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Oh that's the last thing would want to do :)

But honestly, there's some ss gear that I could live with. Just as long as it's not zippy, transistory, thin, mechanical and washed out sounding. Just in the end, find that tubes bring me closer to the holy grail.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I used the DartZeel supplied 50 ohm cable (10m) and currently I am using a Kimber KS1036 XLR XLR 6m long between the REF40 and the NHB 108. The appearance of the Audio Research REF phono 2 was was one the reasons I reverted to ARC - at that time I felt that I preferred the Phono2. The REF5 was in my view different, but not better than the DartZeel. But the REF Anniversary seemed to be a reasonable jump.
AFAIK, one owner of an NHB 458 also owns an ARC Phono 2 REF SE, but keeps the NH18NS.

thanks Micro.

i know how much better the Evolution Acoustic BNC cables are than Herve's (quite a bit better) and wonder how that might figure into the equation?

sounds like the REF 10 is special in any case.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
thanks Micro.

i know how much better the Evolution Acoustic BNC cables are than Herve's (quite a bit better) and wonder how that might figure into the equation?

sounds like the REF 10 is special in any case.

Mike,
Most probably - but I did not have access to other BNC cables . I also found that DartZeel equipment is very dependent on cable quality. I listened to great sounds with Transparent Reference MM2, Odin and Kubala Sosna ELations speaker cables, but a few expensive cables that I will keep incognito could make the great sounding NHB108 sound miserable in my system.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Nothing like ARC milking it's customers. It really shows who owns this company now. And that screen is an abomination...

The Ref 15 will be out in 2 years and cost 35k- that's my prediction. Ref 20 at 50k in 4 years.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Nothing like ARC milking it's customers. It really shows who owns this company now. And that screen is an abomination...

The Ref 15 will be out in 2 years and cost 35k- that's my prediction. Ref 20 at 50k in 4 years.

Why Keith, I believe you are so jaded that they should display you in a jewlery store.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think they lost their way after the Ref 3, personally. In fact, I bet the Ref 3 still sounds pretty amazing compared to these latest jewels--which just add a separate power supply and more energy storage for double and triple the cost.

don't get me started on the LS line :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What about the LS line? :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I can tell you the LS17 is no box of chocolates. I bought two of them with the last time after I bought the ARC VS115 thinking it would be a great match. Wrong. The Krell KBL smokes the LS17 in every parameter that means a damn thing to me. More neutral, more quiet, better bass response, faster, tighter, and on and on.

The funny thing was the LS17 was much easier to sell than the ARC VS115 even though the price differential was small on the used market. The ARC VS115 is a much better amp than the LS17 is a preamp. I’m beginning to think the reason people shy away from the VS115 isn’t the sound, but rather the open-air chassis.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
They should just really make the LS line fully SS as that is how it sounds. In fact, I've heard better SS preamps. Flat, non-involving sound.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They should just really make the LS line fully SS as that is how it sounds. In fact, I've heard better SS preamps. Flat, non-involving sound.

I have no experience with the LS17, but can assure you that the LS26 and LS27 sound great in an appropriate systems. Surely YMMV. ;)

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

The only tube amps that really (!) impressed me were the Zanden monos and pre I heard at a Magico Q7 / dCS show last week :p. Said a Spectral owner....;)
Now .. where did I put that plane ticket so that I can go away before my house is bombed by a bunch of tubey lovers. :p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Would really appreciate to listen to such a system. Can you tell us what was the equipment and cables used in this session?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Would really appreciate to listen to such a system. Can you tell us what was the equipment and cables used in this session?

I'll only go into the analog side since when I heard the system, the Burmester music server was brand new. The analog front end was the Graham Phantom with Benz LP-S mounted on the top of the line Avid table. The preamplifier/phono were also top of the line Burmester and the system was wired with top of the line Wireworld IC and speaker cables. (sorry I don't remember the models :( ).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'll only go into the analog side since when I heard the system, the Burmester music server was brand new. The analog front end was the Graham Phantom with Benz LP-S mounted on the top of the line Avid table. The preamplifier/phono were also top of the line Burmester and the system was wired with top of the line Wireworld IC and speaker cables. (sorry I don't remember the models :( ).

I think I know about the aficionado that owns such system. Is there anything you would want to tell us about your listening session? :p

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think I know about the aficionado that owns such system. Is there anything you would want to tell us about your listening session? :p

I posted my comments over on that site :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing