Reference 10 preamplifier

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Steve,

Why?

My impression is that huge display is going to wreak havoc with the insides...

alexandre

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Does the Ref40 have that humungous screen? I thought it was new on that one...
I know microstrip likes AR, and lots of other people do too. I'm just puzzled why :D They break for no reason, and release new models as if there was no tomorrow... But hey, they must be doing something right, so I'm OK with that!

alexandre

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Well, there are a few used ones available now, didn't see that a couple months ago, so the one advantage of factory 'latest' model is the availability of the last one and cheaper than new. I bought my SP-10mkii back when everybody dumped them for the SP-11, I liked the 10 better, but call me 'colored' in my perceptions- I liked the warmth of the 10. Though it was rough to get it quiet, i had bags of tubes constantly searching for low noise in the phono section.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I know microstrip likes AR, and lots of other people do too. I'm just puzzled why :D They break for no reason, and release new models as if there was no tomorrow... But hey, they must be doing something right, so I'm OK with that!

alexandre

Prior to my present preamp I owned an ARC Ref3 Mklll and I really liked it. I like ARC gear

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA

alexandre

Good to know that you are OK with that.:)

However, for the past 20 years or so, ARC products have been on a fairly regular 5-6 year cycle. In a few cases where that cycle would have been shortened by new products, upgrades have been made available to the existing owners at a reasonable cost (as in the case of the Reference 5SE and Reference 2SE, following the development of the new Teflon caps for the Reference Anniversary). It is also worthwhile to keep in mind that ARC (unlike some other manufactures ;)) clearly marks product changes as new models, a policy that I prefer since it avoids confusion in the used market.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
At CES last year my favorite room was the Sonus Faber Aida with the new ARC Ref250 and Ref40 Anniversary

I am very partial to the REF40+REF250 combo.:D

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Indeed you should be

I owned a Ref3 Mklll with an ARC 610T. Loved it. Just too damn hot with a total of 70 tubes. I had to add a 3rd dedicated HVAC to my house for just that room

Thanks, Steve. Things are more manageable with "only" 30 tubes to deal with.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

alexandre

Alexandre,

As we are both DartZeel lovers I will just give an example using these two great brands. :)

One of the reasons I currently like my ARC REF40 is that the Dartzeel NHB 108 sounds much better in my system using the Anniversary REF 40 than using the DarztZeel preamplifier. It is only my humble opinion, but the excellent DartZeel preamplfier is now needing some upgrade to keep in line with the current existing best.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Alexandre,

As we are both DartZeel lovers I will just give an example using these two great brands. :)

One of the reasons I currently like my ARC REF40 is that the Dartzeel NHB 108 sounds much better in my system using the Anniversary REF 40 than using the DarztZeel preamplifier. It is only my humble opinion, but the excellent DartZeel preamplfier is now needing some upgrade to keep in line with the current existing best.

Micro and Alexandre,

I am thinking about trying a VAC Sig. IIa with my Dartzeel 108B. I loved my GAT very much with my Dart and am thinking about replacing it depending on the outcome with the VAC. Any opinions on VAC and Dartzeel?

Micro,

Is your 108 the A or B model and I assume you are using the balanced inputs on the 108?

Thanks!

Joe

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
It is only my humble opinion, but the excellent DartZeel preamplfier is now needing some upgrade to keep in line with the current existing best.

But wait, that might upset existing owners.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
According to Dave Gordon the Ref250 is a better amp than the Ref610T which was the successor to mine. The Ref750 however.......

I am afraid to hear it.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
microstrip,

Yes, I'm taking your opinion of the 18NS to heart :) I love it to bits, specially for the very quiet phono stage that's built in. Anything in particular that you don't like in the 18NS, any negative points, in your view?

I haven't answered since I haven't had the chance to hear the Ref 40, only the Ref 5, and not in my system anyway... I did test a huge amount of amplifiers, but not that many preamps, so honestly, I don't have much base for comparisons. The one that impressed me (negatively) was the big MBL (6101 I think). Reviews put it side-by-side with the 18NS, and here it could barely best a McIntosh C2300...

Hervé is here in Brazil for a dealer event, so I'll meet him over the weekend, and catch up on his plans for the 18NS. Of course, just because it's impressive enough as it is doesn't mean there isn't any room for improvement.

Actually, what is happening with ARC might be just that, in the past few years, with some cash injection from Quadrivio, they're just able to keep improving and improving, and putting these improvements out in the form of new models and new variations of old models. I don't like that policy, but it's the manufacturer's prerrogative, and the customers are not being forced to go along with it anyway, so if people don't mind buying gear that'll be superceded in 2-3 years, then, as I said, I'm OK with that :D This kind of policy is one of the reasons we chose one brand over the other, isn't it?

alexandre

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
My only concern with those big ARC amps is the frequency with which tubes blow

And the fact that ARC believes that fuses degrade sound, so when a tube blows it takes down a plate resistor. But I have been told they are evaluating alternatives ...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Alexandre,

Micro,

what cables did you use between the 18NS and the 108 when you did that preamp comparison?

and regarding phono performance between both pre's, how was that?

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
A picture of the ref 10 reveals that ARC has reverted back to the gold output coupling caps of the previous generation Reference series in lieu of the fist sized white Teflon caps used in the Ref Anni and the Ref 150, 250 and 750. The same is true for the newly released Ref 75 amp. Curiously, my local dealer told me that that this was done to reduce cost. For a 10k 75 w amp, and a new top of the line 30k line stage??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing