Record shelves

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
We are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel with our retirement house build. Weather (Michigan) and supply/labor shortages have led to nearly a year long process. It’s our retirement home and fully custom, so I guess it is to be expected.

This leads me to the record storage shelve question. Should I paint it or leave it natural? The paint color they want to use is white. I thought about this and told the trim guy I like the natural wood look of the shelves and it would be a shame to cover the wood. Also, since I readily move records around a lot in the shelves, I would eventually start scratching the white paint dealing with an eventual mess of chipped and flaked paint. The trim guy said the painter would love that, but we would need to cover the nail holes with putty. He said maybe a clear coat would look nice. I am still on the fence about doing any Stain, clear coat or otherwise. Has anyone done custom record shelves with wood and left them natural?

Here are some details about the construction for the record room. The builder is using poplar wood to build my shelves in a 11X13 X 10 room for the record “library“. we went over the length and height of the shelves and it looks like we are going with a 22” wide 1.5“ thick platforms with two 1” center strips floor to top shelve screwed together for the center dividers. The very top of shelves will be about 7 feet high. I will store my box sets on top. Each cube will be 14” high x 12.75” deep. I will post a pick later of the cabinets he built for the wife’s butler pantry. The record shelves will be similar but not need to be so ornate and fancy. Basically, the basement is the man cave so have some freedom in what I want to do. I Just want basic shelves with the ability to hold my record collection…some 10,000 records. I showed him my old library with IKEA shelves which are white and can hold 29 pounds per shelf. i do not know what staining the wood would do over a long time with frequent records being pushed in and taken out frequently. Thanks in advance.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on your progress!

I think you are smart to sacrifice some overall storage space by making the internal vertical height dimension of the boxes14 inches. I found this extra clearance makes it much easier to extract and to return the records to the boxes.

Have you considered LED strip lighting in the ceiling of each cubbyhole to make it very easy to read the spines of the albums?

On your actual questions, this is where my personal OCD perfectionism kicks in. I, too, would be concerned about the white paint showing scratching. I think a polyurethane clear coat would seem safe, however, no?

Reactions: audioquest4life

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
When I built my solid mahogany speakers, I finished them with Odie's Oil. I'm still very happy indeed with that decision. It's easy to apply, looks classy, emphasizes the natural qualities of the wood, can be touched-up if necessary by just adding a bit more right on top of whatever's there, and is so non-toxic it can be used for kitchen cutting boards and countertops. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/s2QnVACozJQ

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Congratulations on your progress!

I think you are smart to sacrifice some overall storage space by making the internal vertical height dimension of the boxes14 inches. I found this extra clearance makes it much easier to extract and to return the records to the boxes.

Have you considered LED strip lighting in the ceiling of each cubbyhole to make it very easy to read the spines of the albums?

On your actual questions, this is where my personal OCD perfectionism kicks in. I, too, would be concerned about the white paint showing scratching. I think a polyurethane clear coat would seem safe, however, no?
Hi Ron,

Thank you for the feedback. I also agree, I think my own OCD is a factor in my decision. I also want to bring some and be able to see natural elements in the basement as I am an earth sign and love seeing earth tones. I think a clear coat would be fine. I have some time to think about it.
When I built my solid mahogany speakers, I finished them with Odie's Oil. I'm still very happy indeed with that decision. It's easy to apply, looks classy, emphasizes the natural qualities of the wood, can be touched-up if necessary by just adding a bit more right on top of whatever's there, and is so non-toxic it can be used for kitchen cutting boards and countertops. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/s2QnVACozJQ
This looks like a great product. My only concern is what are the long term issues with plastic sleeves or paper record album covers staying in one place over a long long time. Would there be some chemical interaction between the plastic and the oil or paper and the oil because the records would be constantly touching the oil treated wood.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Well, we have records shelves. These are custom built by the carpenter. They are 14" high X 12.25" deep X 22" wide per cube. The Ikea rack is 15.25" high X 13.25" wide X 13.25" tall per cube. So these are nearly 8.75" wider per shelf. Thats a good number of records. Roughly 3 records per inch = 3X22= 66 records per cube (approximation/no box sets). Right wall = 60 cubes = 60 x 66 (records per cube) = 3960 right wall / left wall same = 3960, back wall = 20 cubes x 66 (records per cube) = 1320 records. Total: 3960 X 2 + 1320 = 9240. Box sets will sit on top. The measurements are rough but close enough. The carpenter did a few coats of shellac and sanded each layer make to sure things stayed smooth. He has a little more trim work and nail hone patching but done for the most part. I thought about lighting and will probably add some type of overhead LED on the top front of each cube or spaced apart, or something more decorative for each cube. That is another project. I opted to stick with the poplar wood as it looks very nice as is for a record or bookshelf. I did not think cherry or Mahogony would be worth the splurge since you would only see the face of the shelves and not the entire cabinet.

Thia room will get carpet, so I guess the shelves will be on concrete forever, but they have some type of footer system on each cabinet. Overhead lights are something called "Halo" lights that our electrician said was the best thing for nice even distributed lighting. Those are not the Halos in right now...just temp lights for the workers to work in the house.

IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3218.JPG IMG_3219.JPG IMG_9430.JPG IMG_9440.JPG IMG_9441.JPG

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations! Beautiful job! The shelves look fantastic!

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Congratulations! Beautiful job! The shelves look fantastic!
Ron,

Thank you. We can't wait to settle in the house. This last house build is taking way longer than expected. I guess because it is our first custom house and forever additions, so I guess that is to be expected.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Those are beautiful shelves, congratulations on a job VERY well done!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing