Recommendations for music with Cello and Barogue?

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Someone else has compared the warner to the EMI versions ?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I bought the Elgar* - Jacqueline Du Pré, Sir John Barbirolli, London Symphony Orchestra* / Janet Baker – Cello Concerto / Sea Pictures, Warner Classics – 0190295871888, Europe, 2017.

I am really disapointed by the sound quality: du Pré Cello is not detached from the ochestra. I have to crank up the volume at some level that I never go and then got a lot of background noise. Nothing compare what I have heard with my head phone here:

I wonder if other version have the same problem.
That is how it sounds. You don't hear it wrong. This recording is not good on vinyl. I found it best sound on Howie's system that you posted video. (Howie I give you a duPre champion medal) He was streaming I think. I listen her on youtube live tv recording better than hearing from my system playing vinyl.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
That is how it sounds. You don't hear it wrong. This recording is not good on vinyl. I found it best sound on Howie's system that you posted video. (Howie I give you a duPre champion medal) He was streaming I think. I listen her on youtube live tv recording better than hearing from my system playing vinyl.
Thanks for the answer. My warner version does not sound like CD transfer to vinyl as some european labels do. I believe (but not sure) that the duration of the concerto (almost 30') is too long for one LP's face. They have to reduce the groove amplitudes to fit in and then something on the sound.

@bonzo75:

1636880003819.png
I am listening mainly Jazz, Pop and Rock, but I am open to Classical. My whole system cost me only 4/6 of the price of howiebrou pre-amp. Think how I was happy the get my Allnic phono (which corresponds at 80 % of H3000, if you do not believe me, read carefully the reviews) at 40% of its full price ( a demo unit).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for the answer. My warner version does not sound like CD transfer to vinyl as some european labels do. I believe (but not sure) that the duration of the concerto (almost 30') is too long for one LP's face. They have to reduce the groove amplitudes to fit in and then something on the sound.

@bonzo75:

View attachment 84659
I am listening mainly Jazz, Pop and Rock, but I am open to Classical. My whole system cost me only 4/6 of the price of howiebrou pre-amp. Think how I was happy the get my Allnic phono (which corresponds at 80 % of H3000, if you do not believe me, read carefully the reviews) at 40% of its full price ( a demo unit).

Oh sorry just read that thread again. There was some confusion over chat at that time, now I remember

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Someone else has compared the warner to the EMI versions ?
I've owned the Warner Du Pre vinyl box-set and I have the speakers corner version of this concerto as well.
The Warner box-set was awful sounding, I literally gave it away.
The speakers corner version is much better.
I don't have the ED1/2 pressing, but it would be interesting to compare, although I'm not quite sure I'd be willing to spend >$200 for a mint/nm copy.

Last edited:

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I've owned the Warner Du Pre vinyl box-set and I have the speakers corner version of this concerto as well.
The Warner box-set was awful sounding, I literally gave it away.
The speakers corner version is much better.
I don't have the ED1/2 pressing, but it would be interesting to compare, although I'm not quite sure I'd be willing to spend >$200 for a mint and nm copy.
I did not know that Speakers Corner has published it, not referenced on Disogs. I did not find it on Speaker Corner website.

Which ED1/2 pressing version are you speaking ? this erc one ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I did not know that Speakers Corner has published it, not referenced on Disogs. I did not find it on Speaker Corner website.

The one I linked was the ED2. Both ED1 and 2 are better than the ERC one. Have compared the ED1 to the ERC.

ERC is more expensive in this particular case

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I have purchased it many years ago and I cannot recall, I may be mistaken and it could be a Testament reissue.
Anyway, it sounds way better than the recent Warner reissues.

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I have purchased it many years ago and I cannot recall, I may be mistaken and it could be a Testament reissue.
Anyway, it sounds way better than the recent Warner reissues.
I have read in another forum that the EMI testament issue is the better of the previous EMI versions.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have read in another forum that the EMI testament issue is the better of the previous EMI versions.

That will be a first.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

If you do not insist only on du Pre, I will recommend Elgar played by Paul Tortelier with Sir. Adrian Boult conducting London Philharmonic Orchestra. EMI ASD 2906. Tortelier and Boult convey the emotional message through the piece almost good as du Pre/Barenbolm Live tv recording. if you watch from youtube you would even see the hearty connection reflected from du Pre made a small glance at Barenbolm when she was playing. Imo that particular recording tops the rest with their chemistry. Anyway, ASD 2906 that I suggested is a much better recording sonically than du Pre/Barbirolli and du Pre Barenbolm. As a reference, I have all the records mentioned in original. Du Pre/Barbirolli I even got to choose from a few originals that Zerostargeneral sent me. I still think Howie's steaming digital is the best I have heard on this piece. I will ridicule myself if I video this piece and compare to his.

Surfski

Apr 7, 2020
I have at least four versions of this , a first pressing, the Testament reissue , the ERC and the 4th slips my mind at the moment. The Testament is indeed very very good, and pushes the original close. I do find the entire recording a bit disconnected for want of a better word and no version I have manages to dissuade me from that view. The ERC is good, not as good as the others .

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I have at least four versions of this , a first pressing, the Testament reissue , the ERC and the 4th slips my mind at the moment. The Testament is indeed very very good, and pushes the original close. I do find the entire recording a bit disconnected for want of a better word and no version I have manages to dissuade me from that view. The ERC is good, not as good as the others .
I have ordered the Testament reissue. Just have to wait to received it.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The original pressing of the duPre Elgar EMI ASD655 is an EMI ER1 (early red semi-circle with nipper in the middle and a thick red border around the semi circle). It was later reissued by EMI on ASD 2764 (earliest label is the ER2 first colored postage stamp label) this time paired wtih duPre playing the Delius Cello Concerto (which had been first released on ASD644 with some Delius orchestral pieces, which had the ER1 as earliest label). The original recordings marked duPre's debut on EMI and were released in 1965 which she was just 20 years old. She had already made a name for herself with the BBC Proms, playing the Elgar when she was 17. I have original label pressings of the Elgar on ASD655 and the Delius on ASD644. I also have 15ips 2 track tapes of both concerti, dubs of masters.

My understanding is that the duPre Elgar Concerto has never been out of print in the EMI catalogue, and I remember picking up a copy of the record which had the very last EMI vinyl label, ER5 which has a giant nipper in a semi circle with a very thin border, released around 1980. I played the tape of the Elgar this evening - quite good to my ears. EMI didn't have the sound quality of Decca during golden era, particularly in the late '50's through the '60's. Great, powerful and muscular performance, trademarks of duPre's playing.

Christopher Nupen did several films on the group of young musicians who became close friends and colleagues in London in the mid-late '60's. They included one with duPre playing the Elgar Concerto with her husband Daniel Barenboim conducting. Most know that duPre was stricken with Multiple Sclerosis in the early 1970's, when she was 26, and she was forced to stop playing concerts by age 28. She died at age 42.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: rando and bonzo75

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I have ordered the Testament reissue. Just have to wait to received it.
Received. This reissue is quite well balanced between du Pré cello and the ochestra. Worth the money spent.

Reactions: iaxel

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing