Recommendations for music with Cello and Barogue?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just ordered these 2 from Amazon UK:

View attachment 3196
View attachment 3195

Nice!! Enjoy!! i think you will. I have not heard this particular Starker...i have the Mercury Living SACD...but i can imagine the technical elements will be exceptional, clean, articulated, and both cerebral, studious while also just this side of lilting/emotional. He does manage to tread that fine line better than any of the artists i have heard.

If you like to really hear the technique, you might even prefer Yo Yo Ma...he is very gifted, technically almost 'perfect'...you could almost call it 'textbook' Bach if you know what i mean.

these are just my personal impressions...in the end, they do not matter. What matters is if you enjoy them, and i hope you do!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice!! Enjoy!! i think you will. I have not heard this particular Starker...i have the Mercury Living SACD...but i can imagine the technical elements will be exceptional, clean, articulated, and both cerebral, studious while also just this side of lilting/emotional. He does manage to tread that fine line better than any of the artists i have heard.

If you like to really hear the technique, you might even prefer Yo Yo Ma...he is very gifted, technically almost 'perfect'...you could almost call it 'textbook' Bach if you know what i mean.

these are just my personal impressions...in the end, they do not matter. What matters is if you enjoy them, and i hope you do!

I really am looking forward to listening to them as I'm getting more and more interested in Classical music. I have been playing some of those Beethoven Boxsets and one Herbert Von Karajan Boxset that I got for free, and I am truly enjoying them. Thanks again Lloyd for all of your assistance!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I really am looking forward to listening to them as I'm getting more and more interested in Classical music. I have been playing some of those Beethoven Boxsets and one Herbert Von Karajan Boxset that I got for free, and I am truly enjoying them. Thanks again Lloyd for all of your assistance!

Glad it was somewhat helpful...anytime! Love music so happy to share my personal thoughts and observations. I like von Karajan though have found myself generally gravitating towards Neville Marinner, Trevor Pinnock, Gardiner, Suzuki (Bach). For bolder music (Gershwin), Bernstein. One of my favorite conductors (based on only one piece!) is Tugan Sokhiev...he conducted one of my favorite of all pieces, Mussorskgy's Pictures at an Exhibition...stunning beyond all belief. Incredible how much control, precision, dynamics and consistently thoughtful and playful talent he brings to the symphony...young and considered a bit of a prodigy...i am looking forward to hearing more from him.

BTW, which Beethoven boxset are you listening to?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I received the following 5 boxsets FREE. They're all on the Deutsche Grammaphon label, so they shoudl be good. In fact, they are! Listened top several discs already and I'm really enjoying them.

001..JPG 002..JPG
003..JPG 004..JPG
005..JPG

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi John, looks interesting. do they say who the conductors are?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John, looks interesting. do they say who the conductors are?

Herbert von Karajan - Conductor
Ferdinand Leitner - Conductor
Wilhelm Kempff - Piano
Berlin Philharmonic

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Herbert von Karajan - Conductor
Ferdinand Leitner - Conductor
Wilhelm Kempff - Piano
Berlin Philharmonic

Thanks...do not know Leitner. von Karajan Beethoven is very solid stuff. I honestly am not sure which conductors i favor for Beethoven...but Karajan is very good imho.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds good, John. Look forward to reading your impressions! Don't hold back...always appreciate honest constructive thoughts. By coincidence, I am listening to Janos Starker Mercury Living recordings Bach Cello suites...SACD...am tempted to get the one by MA REcordings...Martin Zeller...just purely for the incredible quality of the recording alone. Prefer the Starker playing and the Fournier and the Yo-Yo Ma, but the recording quality is stunning even on computer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...e_z_0?ie=UTF8&m=A3DJR8M9Y3OUPG&n=5174&s=music

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sounds good, John. Look forward to reading your impressions! Don't hold back...always appreciate honest constructive thoughts. By coincidence, I am listening to Janos Starker Mercury Living recordings Bach Cello suites...SACD...am tempted to get the one by MA REcordings...Martin Zeller...just purely for the incredible quality of the recording alone. Prefer the Starker playing and the Fournier and the Yo-Yo Ma, but the recording quality is stunning even on computer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...e_z_0?ie=UTF8&m=A3DJR8M9Y3OUPG&n=5174&s=music

Last year at the T.A.V.E. Show in Toronto they gave away a MA Recordings/Woo Audio demo disc and it included a wonderfull rendition of Bach Cello Suite No. 1 in G:mvts 1,2,3 (from "6 Suites a Violoncello Solo Senza Basso Vol 1"). It had another Bach piece called: "E minor flute Sonata - 4th mov. Allegro" from "J.S.Bach Flute Sonatas Vol 1". Neither mentioned who the artisits were however. Anyway, the quality is truly outstanding and it has become a faverourite of sorts.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Last year at the T.A.V.E. Show in Toronto they gave away a MA Recordings/Woo Audio demo disc and it included a wonderfull rendition of Bach Cello Suite No. 1 in G:mvts 1,2,3 (from "6 Suites a Violoncello Solo Senza Basso Vol 1"). It had another Bach piece called: "E minor flute Sonata - 4th mov. Allegro" from "J.S.Bach Flute Sonatas Vol 1". Neither mentioned who the artisits were however. Anyway, the quality is truly outstanding and it has become a faverourite of sorts.

I'm pretty sure that it's from this one: http://www.marecordings.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=142

The CD was highly recommended by Todd Garfinkle and Jack Woo. I got it, and then left it in my room at Montreal. An hour later, I came back to a packed room. My sister had played it almost in its entirety.

The artist is Martin Zeller, playing a 1673 Jacobus Stainer Violoncello.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just ordered it!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
;)!

Soundminded

Apr 26, 2012
This is my favorite version of the Bach Cello Suites;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0&feature=related

I like it better than Rostropovich. I just got the whole set on DVD. Maisky seems to have gone downhill. Here he is years later with what IMO is a far inferior performance;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk8QNzkzwYg&feature=related

Also in the category of Baroque cello music is Boccherini cello concerto. I have no particular favorite but here's a link to Du Pre on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbBb3M7L8-M

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This is my favorite version of the Bach Cello Suites;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0&feature=related

I like it better than Rostropovich. I just got the whole set on DVD. Maisky seems to have gone downhill. Here he is years later with what IMO is a far inferior performance;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk8QNzkzwYg&feature=related

Also in the category of Baroque cello music is Boccherini cello concerto. I have no particular favorite but here's a link to Du Pre on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbBb3M7L8-M

I like Boccherini quite a bit. The Anner Bylsma Cello Concertos and the Apponyi String Quartets are both excellent imho.

I listened to the Maisky...very nice! i think he felt quite close to Janos Starker...clean, very precise fingering and technique but without the sweeping elegance of Rostropovich (which almost feels a little too polished to me for Bach which i prefer more down to earth)...one man's opinion.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As Lloyd knows I've only recently spent more time with whatever classical music I had, and also took his recommendation on a few discs of the Bach piece mentioned here. I had promised Lloyd a review of my take on a Janos Starker interpretation and one by Yo Yo Ma. I never felt comfortable giving my impression as I really don't know what to look for or listen to as a novice to this very complicated music.

After just listening to the Misha Maisky clip, and then viewing a Rostropovich clip, I think I'm ready to tell you what I thought. When first hearing Starker I thought his playing was very matter-of-fact and disciplined, and I came away with a sense of him being a great technician. There was an intensity in his playing that I greatly admired. Yo Yo Ma's interpretation had (for me) a lighter approach, although I wouldn't and couldn't say I preferred it, as I felt it probably wasn't as accurate an interpretation from the way Bach intended it.

I really, really liked the Maisky version. I thought it had great elements of technique and something I didn't get from the others......emotion.

The Rostropovich interpretation was too fast for my liking and I didn't really enjoy it I must say.

So here's list of preference

1. Maisky
2. Starker
3. Yo Yo Ma
4. Rostropovich.

Please be kind in your rebuttals as I'm a complete noob to all this wonderful music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As Lloyd knows I've only recently spent more time with whatever classical music I had, and also took his recommendation on a few discs of the Bach piece mentioned here. I had promised Lloyd a review of my take on a Janos Starker interpretation and one by Yo Yo Ma. I never felt comfortable giving my impression as I really don't know what to look for or listen to as a novice to this very complicated music.

After just listening to the Misha Maisky clip, and then viewing a Rostropovich clip, I think I'm ready to tell you what I thought. When first hearing Starker I thought his playing was very matter-of-fact and disciplined, and I came away with a sense of him being a great technician. There was an intensity in his playing that I greatly admired. Yo Yo Ma's interpretation had (for me) a lighter approach, although I wouldn't and couldn't say I preferred it, as I felt it probably wasn't as accurate an interpretation from the way Bach intended it.

I really, really liked the Maisky version. I thought it had great elements of technique and something I didn't get from the others......emotion.

The Rostropovich interpretation was too fast for my liking and I didn't really enjoy it I must say.

So here's list of preference

1. Maisky
2. Starker
3. Yo Yo Ma
4. Rostropovich.

Please be kind in your rebuttals as I'm a complete noob to all this wonderful music.

i am equally intrigued by that Maisky clip...tempted enough to try to find the correct album on Amazon. and i already own STarker, Fourier, Rostropovich, du Pre and the one recorded by MA Recordings.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
i am equally intrigued by that Maisky clip...tempted enough to try to find the correct album on Amazon. and i already own STarker, Fourier, Rostropovich, du Pre and the one recorded by MA Recordings.

I liked MA recording with Martin Zeller as well!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing