rblnr

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I started going to blues bars in Chicago because they would serve us high schoolers. Realized through the drunken haze how much the music turned me on in an elemental way -- and thus began my quest to get the sound of live music in my home.

My sister was dating a musician at the time who also repped pro sound equipment. He gave me a pair of Electrovoice Sentry 100 studio monitors, my first real speakers. Fed by a Sansui receiver and BSR turntable, I tried to blow the roof off the house at every opportunity. Like most here I have owned a ridiculous amount of equipment since then. Some speakers past: Phase Research Little Ds (ahead of their time, precursor to Clements RT 7), Epos ES14/25s (capture the organic flow of music), Waveform Mach Solos (learned the vagaries of flat frequency response above all and fourth order crossovers), VMPS RM40s (slay far more expensive speakers), Scaena 3.2s -- coming soon.

Live music remains my benchmark, and I find a lot of audiophile favorite speakers have had the life and vitality refined out of them. I also find that tubes have a liveliness that SS often does not.

I'm an NYC-based film director and cinematographer by trade who move to 'burbs recently. Have my first dedicated music/HT room -- it's a lot of fun. Other passions include wine, tequila, and of course, movies.

I've written articles for several magazines including a lead editorial for the NY Times. I've reviewed audio equipment for sonicflare.com and now for positive-feedback.com I strive for consistent methodology in my evaluations and try to remove (or be upfront about) bias wherever possible. In addition to expressing my opinion, my goal is to communicate the essence of the product so the reader can make an informed choice.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum!

Did you say Sansui? That was my first "real amp." Got it when I was I think 15 years old. Had capacitor coupled output as with most solid state amps of the era, resulting in pretty anemic bass performance. Still, much enjoyment was had with it.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, Sansui. The back lit radio scale spanned the whole front panel if I remember correctly. Don't recall the bass performance, but thought it was about the coolest thing in the world then. You could actually walk into a stereo store w/$200 and walk out w/a system.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Mine just had an amp and no lights or anything.

For those not following my comment on output circuit, there are two ways to design an amp. One that uses a single positive voltage and one that uses positive and negative. If you use the former, then when you have no signal, the output is still putting out half the power supply voltage. If you feed that directly to the speaker, it blows it up. So a capacitor is put in between the amp and speaker. The cap "decouples" the two circuit, allowing music signals to go through but not direct current voltage. Problem with that is that you now have a filter in the output which gets rid of low frequencies. Bigger caps improve this situation but they cost money. And Sansui was not known as a high-end brand :).

Amps are all designed these days with positive and negative supply "rails" and as such, stay around 0 volts when they are not producing sound and hence, we have "DC coupled" output with nothing between the amp and the speaker. This causes another problem though. If the amp shorts out, it can cook your speaker. So protection circuits were born to deal with that....

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Mine just had an amp and no lights or anything.

For those not following my comment on output circuit, there are two ways to design an amp. One that uses a single positive voltage and one that uses positive and negative. If you use the former, then when you have no signal, the output is still putting out half the power supply voltage. If you feed that directly to the speaker, it blows it up. So a capacitor is put in between the amp and speaker. The cap "decouples" the two circuit, allowing music signals to go through but not direct current voltage. Problem with that is that you now have a filter in the output which gets rid of low frequencies. Bigger caps improve this situation but they cost money. And Sansui was not known as a high-end brand :).

Amps are all designed these days with positive and negative supply "rails" and as such, stay around 0 volts when they are not producing sound and hence, we have "DC coupled" output with nothing between the amp and the speaker. This causes another problem though. If the amp shorts out, it can cook your speaker. So protection circuits were born to deal with that....

Much appreciate the explanation.

Welcome to the forum rblnr, you have a interesting history. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Thanks, and btw, went to U of M and worked for DCM for a bit when they were there. Hope to get out for a game this coming season.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Way ahead of its time. The designer's background was engineering military satellites.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thx Lee. I enjoy your posts btw.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing